What if...

Options
What If I ate pure crap?
Breakfast of sugary cereal
Cheeseburger Lunch
soda pop
Pizza dinner.
What if I ate pure crap every single day, forever, BUT, stayed under my calorie goal.
What do you think would happen?

Replies

• yesiam07
    yesiam07 Posts: 63
    Options
    i've done that before and lost about 100lbs but eventually it all came back plus more so now i eat right and make better choices
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The way I understand weight loss is calories in, calories out so I think you would lose weight in theory. However, since those foods are calorie dense but low in fiber and high in sugar, you would probably feel hungry all the time, and it would be difficult to stay under your calorie limit for the day. & if you did manage to, eventually the health problems caused by poor nutrition would catch up to you. That being said, everything in moderation, right?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight but you would feel like crap.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My guess is you would be sick and skinny/scrawny...
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You'd be thin, but likely unhealthy. Not properly nourished. Not a lot of muscle mass. You'd likely feel like *kitten* most of the time. It's a means to an end, but is it untimately an end you really want? It's not just about being thin.... unless it is.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Do it and log it...you will be good example of why you shouldn't.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You would lose, but you probably wouldn't love the results.

BTW - if you also ate some healthy choices, you would feel full for longer, and you would get to eat more food.

I'll never be the one to say you have to cut out all the fun foods - I like them too. I just don't make them the only things that I eat.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What If I ate pure crap?
    Breakfast of sugary cereal
    Cheeseburger Lunch
    soda pop
    Pizza dinner.
    What if I ate pure crap every single day, forever, BUT, stayed under my calorie goal.
    What do you think would happen?

It doesn't matter. You'll be skinny! :drinker:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic with heart disease and high cholesterol putting you at higher risk for stroke.
    Don't need to be overweight to be unhealthy.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Please remember that this MFP is also about learning to make healthy choices. If you eat all that stuff but stay under your calories allowed - what are you still doing to your sugar levels, liver, kidneys, heart? Basically if it has more than 5 ingredients it is too processed and you avoid it.

If you lose all the weight and carry on eating that stuff, you will basically put the weight back on because once you are not monitoring what you are eating you will slowly put the weight back on because you have not learnt to make the right choices.

Good luck
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight. If you ate like crap but still hit your protein and fat macros you would be fine. Its call IIFYM-IF It Fits Your Macros
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight but you would feel like crap.

Simply stated. This.
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Don't Fret MFPal's! You can creep my diary and see I am a relatively good eater. I was mostly just interested in what people thought of this life style choice. I know girls who live on a basic mcdonalds diet who's bodies are tanned, tonned, and bikini ready. I often wonder if their diet will catch up to them.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Don't Fret MFPal's! You can creep my diary and see I am a relatively good eater. I was mostly just interested in what people thought of this life style choice. I know girls who live on a basic mcdonalds diet who's bodies are tanned, tonned, and bikini ready. I often wonder if their diet will catch up to them.

Yes
    See my post above :smile:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Pizza and burgers aren't crap. They are full of macro and micro nutrients. Now, if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, you might want to skip the sugary cereal, but even that can fit into a balanced diet. Captain Crunch, for instance, is surprisingly high in iron and zinc, and the milk that goes on it provides calcium and protein. Take a deep breath, stop judging food without actually looking at its nutritional profile, and you'll feel much better. Whatever you choose to eat.
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    You might have the heart of a 80 year old woman by the time you're 50..

Honestly eating foods like that everyday is more of a "crap" decision. You may be getting nutrients in some of those foods, but those foods aren't helping you in the long run. It's not always about losing weight, it's about being HEALTHY.

For a real life example..
    I know for a fact that a girl in my gym class senior year ate those kinds of foods everyday for her meals. She was skinny because she starved herself, but she ate whatever she wanted. I want to say she probably weighed 120 lbs..
    Now, I weighed near 150 lbs. I ate super healthy, no junk at all.
    Every monday we had to run a mile in under 12:00 minutes as a grade for the class. I could run the mile in 9 minutes, even though I was fatter. It took her the entire 12 minutes to get through it and she was huffing and puffing at the end.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Found this little gem:

"Mark Haub: Most people don't know the professor from Kansas State University. But in 2010, he provided evidence that a calorie is just a calorie when he created "The Twinkie Diet." For 10 weeks, Haub ate nothing but Twinkies, chips, Oreos, and other "unhealthy" foods. The result: He lost 27 pounds by limiting his intake to less than 1,800 calories a day."
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Pizza and burgers aren't crap. They are full of macro and micro nutrients. Now, if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, you might want to skip the sugary cereal, but even that can fit into a balanced diet. Captain Crunch, for instance, is surprisingly high in iron and zinc, and the milk that goes on it provides calcium and protein. Take a deep breath, stop judging food without actually looking at its nutritional profile, and you'll feel much better. Whatever you choose to eat.

QFT.

I'll give the "crappy food" people the soda pop, though the sugary cereal is borderline (like you said, most are fortified). Cheeseburgers and pizza aren't crap unless you make them crap. Others might not want to eat them, but I like cheeseburgers and pizza and eat them often enough.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    you would lose weight but your body would eventually lack the vitamins that it needs to provide you with any energy.