Squats! Weight vs no weight

Options
So I'm not trying to body build or anything like that. Just want to lift and round my butt a tiny bit. I've been reading a lot of info online, but can't seem to get a great answer on if I should use a bar at the gym or if simply squatting my weight at home is enough. Any experiences or advice? Thanks :D

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You want a weighted bar for best results. I back squat my body weight +some and it is amazing what is happening to my shape!
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Work on form, use the bar, work on form with the bar, then progressively add weight to the bar. Keep squatting, get round booty.

Read:

Starting Strength
    www.niashanks.com
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Squatting with no weight at home is better than not squatting at all, if you don't have access to a gym. However, lifting heavy will get you much better results, for your entire lower body and abdominal region.

I'm just back in the gym after 6 years off, but my butt is still a better shape than it was before I started lifting heavy 8 years ago. (Although bigger. ;)) It used to sort of look like the end of a loaf of bread, which is not attractive at any weight.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I don't have weights / can't afford a set or gym membership as of yet... so I use a resistance band with handles. Works alright. You could try that to start with?
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try alternating with both. Basically you will burn more calories and develop more muscle with the resistance.

Well done for exercising
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    So I'm not trying to body build or anything like that. Just want to lift and round my butt a tiny bit.
    This is why I don't go to school. I'm afraid I'll accidently become a doctor if I study....
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Something is better than nothing

Keep working at it OP

You will get there
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    Than you for your answers everyone! Except for the person who just couldn't help but be sarcastic! Go be negative somewhere else, this is a place for helping eachother.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Than you for your answers everyone! Except for the person who just couldn't help but be sarcastic! Go be negative somewhere else, this is a place for helping eachother.
    it's to show the uselessness of your statement. being a bodybuilder isn't by accident. you have to work for it. So why do you think doing squats means you're a bodybuilder?

Did you know all babies squat when trying to pick stuff off the floor. Are they all bodybuilders too?

EMT's have to squat to pick up their gournies, and they can be hundreds of lbs of weight. Are they body builders too?

I can go on, but you get the idea.

the idea behind lifting is to challenge yourself. the only way to continually do that is to add resistance. weights is one way of doing it. so by all means, add weight.

if you don't want to bodybuild, then don't eat 5k+ calories a day and take steroids. And you should be fine.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I don't have weights / can't afford a set or gym membership as of yet... so I use a resistance band with handles. Works alright. You could try that to start with?

Beezil, sorry, had to creep on your photos and damn, you look awesome! Well done!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's to show the uselessness of your statement. being a bodybuilder isn't by accident. you have to work for it. So why do you think doing squats means you're a bodybuilder?

Did you know all babies squat when trying to pick stuff off the floor. Are they all bodybuilders too?

EMT's have to squat to pick up their gournies, and they can be hundreds of lbs of weight. Are they body builders too?

the idea behind lifting is to challenge yourself. the only way to continually do that is to add resistance. weights is one way of doing it. so by all means, add weight.

if you don't want to bodybuild, then don't eat 5k+ calories a day and take steroids. And you should be fine.

dude... stop being negative.

lol, just kidding.

QFT
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Too funny!

So I'm not trying to body build or anything like that. Just want to lift and round my butt a tiny bit.
    This is why I don't go to school. I'm afraid I'll accidently become a doctor if I study....
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Yes, squats. With lots of weights.
    Also deadlifts. With lots of weights.
    If your body miraculously turns into a body builder"s body after that, shoot me a PM and let me know exactly what you did, okay?
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Don't only squat.... Lunge too.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    voting for jump squats. always challenging. no equipment required.
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    I do dead-lifts up to 110lbs. I'm not a bodybuilder....

I think doing squats at home is a great idea, but eventually your body will get used to squatting with your own body weight; so at one point, it will become too easy and kinda pointless. To counter this you have to add weight and/or resistance. So if you're squatting at home, maybe (if you can) buy some medicine balls or a mini set of weights and start squatting with them. This is what I do at the gym.

And for a nice round butt, there's so many OTHER exercises you could do that are effective, you do not have to limit yourself to squats. Be careful and I speak from experience - if you don't squat with proper form, you'll wreck your knees real bad and it's painful.

Good luck!

Emmalee :smile:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Low Bar Back Squats ftw.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You will get more results with some weights. You're not going to end up looking like a body builder by adding 10-15lbs. the extra weight will help you develop your balance and make you stronger. Body builders spend hours a day in the gym and add a lot of supplements in their diet.

But if you want to tone up your gluteus, add some step ups (like on a park bench), lunges, planks, and supermans (lay on the ground, lift your hands and feet in the air like superman and hold for a couple of seconds, repeat a lot). Im sure there are tons of other exercises too!

Good luck!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    don't lift heavy weights you will get bulky and go into starvation mode.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

dude... stop being negative.

lol, just kidding.

QFT

I was thinking the same thing...but thought it was way tooo negative for this thread....bahahahahahahaha