Post-work out food?

Options
What's the best type of food to eat post-work out: protein, carbohydrate or fat? Sometimes I'm shaky post-workout and I'm wondering if a certain type of food is best/would help.

Replies

• RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You said you were sometimes shaky after a workout - which kinds of workouts are you shaky after? That will help determine what to eat.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    While it does depend on the type of burn you had (running a marathon is very different than a 2 hour lifting session), most recommendations are to consume Amino Acids immediately after exercise (protein). If you're feeling shaky, this might be something else and worth talking to your doc about. Good luck.
  • Mizpenguin
    Options
    You said you were sometimes shaky after a workout - which kinds of workouts are you shaky after? That will help determine what to eat.

I just got done with 30 minutes cardio on the elliptical.
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate almond milk personally....
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What works for me is my protein smoothie. I use 1-2 scoops of whey isolate powder mixed with 1 cup of skim milk, 1/2 cup of strawberries, and 1/2 cup of blueberries (or some other variation) and add water to thin it out.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    What's the best type of food to eat post-work out: protein, carbohydrate or fat? Sometimes I'm shaky post-workout and I'm wondering if a certain type of food is best/would help.

Shakiness generally means low blood sugar, Consume simple carbs after a workout when this happens, ie apple, banana or any fruit for that matter :)
  • Mizpenguin
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is really helpful.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese or chocolate milk