Swimming--Calories burned

Options
cleback
cleback Posts: 261 Member
Hey, MFPers! Trying to log cals burned from lap swimming. What do you think qualifies as moderate/fast pace?

Replies

• cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you were actively moving in the water, if you were just throwing a ball around or so then id say no but if you were doing laps, playing tag just something where legs had to move a lot then that would be fast pace
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If when you get out of the pool you feel sweaty. That is how I always judge it.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I swim regularly and I think of it more in terms of effort exerted than actual pace. Also, I've found that my Polar FT4 HRM works great in the pool!!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd say average Joe pace for a mile swim is about 40-45 min.
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I swim laps freestyle and do a km in about 21 minutes, burn 200 calories (according to my garmin swim watch) and that is just a little more than moderate pace for my weight (I'm 5'4" and 150lbs.). I usually put it as moderate but adjust the calories up a bit to match what my watch says.
  • 1crazysunshine
    Options
    I'm a swimmer and my coach has always referred to fast as being slightly less than a sprint pace. I'd assume a moderate pace is slightly less than a fast pace. but basically you should feel like you're working pretty hard if you're going to log it as moderate or fast pace. & for a vigorous pace, you'd need to be doing an all out sprint. Hope this helps :)
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I will be swimming come June and would like to know this too! I swim continuously for 60 mins....barely stop, but don't go full tilt! Would I call that a moderate pace? I think so.....