Going over sugar intake for the day

Options
When I first started mfp I only watched my calories, but recently I've been watching my sugar intake. I have been consistantly going over my sugar intake. It's really hard to not go over especially if you eat one piece of fruit.

Will I reach my weightloss goal if I continue to go over the recommended sugar amount but stay within my calories for the day?

Replies

• Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I dont too much watch alot of my sugar intake because some sugar is healthy; whereas, some is not but i will say that i monitor as close as possible because of my diabetes....however,

I am still losing weight, so i'd say yes...maybe not as quickly as I could but what i'm doing is working for me, so I take it that you can....
  • farr2fun
    farr2fun Posts: 15
    Options
    I have been having alot of difficulty with that myself. I've learned so much in the past two years about the health benefits of certain friuits. For instance, how healthy it is to eat an apple a day. Now that I am using MFP, I see on the lable that apples have 25 grams of sugar. That alone takes me over the daily limit. But I seem to be losing weight much, much more slowly now that I am trying to keep that under 24. I also have a hard time getting enough calories without my sugar going to high and I am not eating sweets of any kind.

So now I am making the choice to just make sure my sugar comes from healthy sources like fruits and milk. I'm avoiding fast food and things sweetend with sugar. I'm going to take sugar off my settings for awhile to keep my from obsessing. I hope to see results in a two weeks to a month. Keep us posted as to how it works with you.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Yep i go over on sugar every day and I think I am eating healthily and so am ignoring (as much as poss) the accusatory red numbers at the end of the day. I would like to know how I can remove sugar from my settings if anyone knows coz I know me and one day I will look at those red numbers n think sod it if I am over I might as well just go for it.... And that would not be good!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Yep i go over on sugar every day and I think I am eating healthily and so am ignoring (as much as poss) the accusatory red numbers at the end of the day. I would like to know how I can remove sugar from my settings if anyone knows coz I know me and one day I will look at those red numbers n think sod it if I am over I might as well just go for it.... And that would not be good!

In the food tab, just click settings and you can change what you track. I do calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, calcium. NOT sugar, because I eat a lot of strawberries and apples. Besides, I think mfp has it VERY low, I have looked it up elsewhere and 3 other sites recommended about 68g for me and mfp says 34g.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to track processed/added sugars (not sure processed is the word I'm looking for). Natural sugars, such as those found in fruit are not accounted for, however you still have to eat it like everything else....in moderation.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If it is from milk and fruit I do not worry about it at all. I try to watch that my sugar doesnt come from added sugars in bread and processed foods.

Although, I made 1/2 sugar cupcakes yesterday (why, oh why:sad: ) and then without thinking frosted those puppies............75 cals for the cupcake, 150 for the frosting!!

Sugar 27 g (and I ate 2:blushing: )

I guess I had my treat so no biggie............I never feel guilty about food...............Anyone want 22 cupcakes???:laugh:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    When I first started mfp I only watched my calories, but recently I've been watching my sugar intake. I have been consistantly going over my sugar intake. It's really hard to not go over especially if you eat one piece of fruit.

Will I reach my weightloss goal if I continue to go over the recommended sugar amount but stay within my calories for the day?

Yes you will, fruit although it has sugar is natural sugar and not processed. If you take in less calories than you use up, the weight eventually comes off. Oranges are high in sugar but I love the squishy, juicy little blighters and had two, one right after the other yesterday - bloody lovely it was :laugh:

Just don't go eating bags and bags of bonbons or lemon sherbets or peardrops or things like that though :laugh:
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options

In the food tab, just click settings and you can change what you track. I do calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, calcium. NOT sugar, because I eat a lot of strawberries and apples. Besides, I think mfp has it VERY low, I have looked it up elsewhere and 3 other sites recommended about 68g for me and mfp says 34g.

Thanks for this, the red numbers are to be a thing of the past!