Keeping the sweet tooth at bay?

Options
What do you do when your sweet tooth just won't back down!?

I find myself searching for something sweet to eat before I even realise I'm doing it!

Any tips to control the cravings?

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If the craving is bad I'll just eat a small amount of whatever I'm craving. The key is moderation. If I'm actually hungry when I'm having the craving I'll try something healthy first.
  • DawnLems
    DawnLems Posts: 3
    Options
    I drink a lot of lemon water throughout the day. It gives me a little sweet and also has a natural diuretic effect which is nice. Sugar-free chewing gum or hard candy is also another option. What I have found myself doing especially lately is finishing each meal with 1/2-1 serving of fruit- often grapefruit. That way I am getting plenty of sweet in which tends to hold me over pretty well. Another option that I have heard of is the nightly dark chocolate fix. Gives you something to look forward to and work towards so you don't feel so deprived. Just some options. Try some and figure out what works for you.
  • CupcakeConnection
    Options
    I have a serious sugar habit that I am trying to control! I keep life savers , jolly ranchers and orbit sweet mint gum around. When I get a serious craving I will have one of those to minimize craving. I also keep lots of fruit around as it can satisfy a sweet tooth as well. And I ALWAYS have 8-16oz of water when I do have fruit or a piece of candy.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've heard a craving will last on average 8 min. I don't have the documentation to back up that claim but if you can wait it out for 8-10 minutes then your craving will eventually diminish. Unless of course you are generally hungry :)
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp apples are yummy.... :wink:
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just need to quit cold turkey, it's the only way it worked for me.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been in love with homemade banana chips. Sweet enough to stop me from reaching for something else. I make mine in a dehydrator but I'm sure they could be made in the oven as well. They are chewy and not crunchy and taste really sweet when partially dehydrated. Makes for a great sweet snack that isn't much in terms of calories. I find an orange or perfectly ripe strawberries help too!

Sometimes I will drink a diet pop if I want something sweet. I know not everyone likes diet pops but I find they really curb my sweet cravings and take a while to drink.
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I HEAR TAKING CHROMIUM HELPS KEEP IT AT A MIN
  • JenniferDomas
    JenniferDomas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth and/or use mouth wash. It's hard to eat anything after that. Also, I drink a lot of Lipton Diet Green Tea that helps with sweet cravings.
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like eating the 90 cal fiber one brownies or Trader Joe's brownie & chocolate oats bar. It satisfies my sweet tooth but they are well portioned so I don't overeat.
  • CharMaroc
    CharMaroc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth and/or use mouth wash. It's hard to eat anything after that.

I think this works well, I should try it more often
  • Emmalydia26
    Options
    I had the same problem, i was constantly craving sweet things and nothing would seem to settle it until i ate something sugary and 'unhealthy' for me, but then i was given Honey nut shreddies one evening and i now hardly crave chocolate and other bits like that, only honey shreddies because they are delicious!! I was really surprised! Try them!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes (well, the one I tried, shakeology) worked for me for 2 months. Then I stopped drinking it as much and I have no problem limiting my sweets (I still have a little something most days but I stop at one serving).
  • um_hamza
    um_hamza Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I keep low calorie hard candies to suck on. It takes a while to finish them so you feel like your eating something big hehe. Gum also helps and I do he bruhing teeth thing at nigh when I want to make sure I stop eating on time. 8 is when i stop.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like eating the 90 cal fiber one brownies or Trader Joe's brownie & chocolate oats bar. It satisfies my sweet tooth but they are well portioned so I don't overeat.

Oh man I ate the whole box in 2 days when I bought them. So good. Fit in my calories but I was feeling so guilty lol! So now I avoid them. BUT I know what to buy next time I crave brownies.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would eat two dates, slowly. Haven't done it for months now. Sweet, but with fibre.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of any food. I eat something sweet everyday.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1. Tea or coffee!
    2. If you must have food, have something healthy like fruit.
  • heidibrue
    heidibrue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Want to try something really interesting? Brew Gymnema tea. It's a leaf that naturally blocks sugar tasting receptors in your tongue. After a cup of that tea, you wont be able to taste sugar for 30-60 minutes. Try eating something sweet, it'll taste disgusting!
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been eating one square of Lindt dark chocolate 85% cacao. It has 53 calories in it, but it certainly is better than eating a whole hershey bar (which is barely even real chocolate). The dark chocolate is waaaay more satisfying so you don't have to eat very much of it. I have also been eating fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth.