Plateau? Help please! I am SO discouraged

Options
I have been at this for about 2 1/2 months and have lost a total of 25 pounds. I realize that overall, that is great but the problem is that over the past 4 weeks I have barely lost 5 pounds in total! I am getting SO discouraged. I keep my calories around 1200 calories eating a paleo diet. I am exercising like crazy. Running (3 miles straight running 3 to 5 times per week) plus yoga and Pilates. If one more person tells me I am probably gaining muscle I might scream. I mean I might buy that if I was closer to my ideal weight but I still have a lot of weight to lose. I am 5'7" and 189 today. I would like to lose another 30lbs which I think is a really reasonable goal....right?

Anyone else been here? Any thoughts or advice would be so so appreciated

Replies

• channy70
    channy70 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know that this is sometimes frustrating, but stop and look at the entire picture. When you first start to lose weight, the first few weeks you may lose more because a lot of it is water weight and you have made some big changes in your lifestyle. Then you said that you lost 5lbs in 4 weeks, that's great, 1.25lbs per week, which is a nice steady weight lose. I know when you want to lose weight, you want it to disappear overnight, but realistically we don't gain it overnight and in most cases, we've gained slowly over years, so it may take a slow steady process with some bumps in the road, but don't be discouraged, you are still doing great and this is a LIFESTYLE change. Also we get so caught up in the numbers on the scale, how does your clothes fit, are you noticing a difference there? I think that is a better determinant than the scale sometimes. Now that I've said that, let me ask, I didn't notice any resistance training listed in your workouts, if you don't currently include that in your weekly workouts, try adding some maybe 3 times a week, the more muscle you build, the more calories and fat your body burns. I am not a personal trainer or anything, but I've been battling my weight for a few years now and I've been were you are and because I didn't get immediate results, I would quite, reaching my highest weight ever, 192lbs at 5'0". Keep up the good work, you are doing great, you will reach your goal.:smile:
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Lots of people beat plateaus by upping their calories. It worked for me! Went from 1200 to 1700 and started losing weight and inches again. Try this to get some numbers:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

GL!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    And BTW, you're still losing so you're not really in a plateau at all. You're losing at a good pace! :)
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    Lots of people beat plateaus by upping their calories. It worked for me! Went from 1200 to 1700 and started losing weight and inches again. Try this to get some numbers:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

GL!

Worked for me too. I was eating too few calories for the amount of exercising I was doing.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You are still losing over a pound a week!
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is random, I know, but have you seen what 5 pounds is? That's five of those big "baking" chunks of butter - the two cup ones! That's good progress! Add that to the 25 you've already lost and you've come a long way.

Other than that ;) I'd just have to ditto what's been said:

Incorporate weight training 3x/week and up the calories. It sounds counter-intuitive. But it works. If you want some free weight training programs check out Bodybuilding(dot)com. Don't let the name fool you, it's very friendly to newbies :) that's where I started too and they gave me some solid advice.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    im exactly where you are right now and i just realized we have to quit relying on the scale all the time to tell us we are doing things right . im almost at the half way mark of my goal until i hit this stand still. i've been five pounds away from my halfway mark for three weeks without losing an oz. drove me crazy . i work out insanely resistance training, weight training, and cardio with a gallon of water a day etc... anyways as far as increasing food , i agree. if your exercising and you get hungry EAT so your body will let go of the fat you already have . but one thing i must say , i dont know if this is your case, for the past three weeks ive been relying on the number on the scale. yesterday for the first time since i started my journey , my boyfriend looked at me and said " wow you're sexy". so i must be doing something right.. SOOOO today i am putting up the scale for a while and switching to a tape measure weighing myself only once or twice a month.. you might find that perhaps you truly are not on a plateau if your losing inches. perhaps its just muscle.
  • chefbubba1303
    chefbubba1303 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more calories, and vary workouts. If you do the same things day after day your body knows what it needs to perform the exercise. Do interval training and weight work.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had been on a plateau for 5-6 months and only recently started to crack it by upping my calories from 1300-1700

I know it seems scary to up the calories but your body will seriously appreciate it, and Im also Paleo, so Ive been eating tons of clean/quality foods (for the most part xD) and raising the calories seems to have done the trick.
    I notice my body composition is changing, so definitely worth a try.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and DEFINITELY add strength training in your workout, by ALL means. That was the entire catalyst for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for about 2 1/2 months and have lost a total of 25 pounds. I realize that overall, that is great but the problem is that over the past 4 weeks I have barely lost 5 pounds in total! I am getting SO discouraged. I keep my calories around 1200 calories eating a paleo diet. I am exercising like crazy. Running (3 miles straight running 3 to 5 times per week) plus yoga and Pilates. If one more person tells me I am probably gaining muscle I might scream. I mean I might buy that if I was closer to my ideal weight but I still have a lot of weight to lose. I am 5'7" and 189 today. I would like to lose another 30lbs which I think is a really reasonable goal....right?

So for first 6 weeks - 20 lbs lost.
    Last 4 weeks - 5 lbs lost.

Let's take out good 5 lb water weight lost since you went lower carb. If you also used to eat higher sodium and went down, perhaps another 2-3 lbs for that.

So 15 and now 5 lbs lost, or by weekly avg, 2.5 lbs first 6 wks, and now 1.25 lbs last 4 wks.

You don't mention if you were correctly eating back your exercise calories with all the "exercising like crazy" cardio.
    Was it at least slow running, or as intense as you could make it?
    Meaning high carb burn.
    Which I know the Paleo sites discourage doing exactly because of what probably happened to you.

You've burned off muscle mass, bad combo - undereating in general for your level of activity, lots of cardio, not enough carbs for all that cardio.

You are correct, there is no way you gained muscle mass, especially not with that routine which will continue to use your existing muscle just fine for a long long time before there is any need to make more. Which your body can't do with current eating level you are doing.

So with less muscle mass comes smaller metabolism, meaning you have to eat even less now if you really want a deficit.
    Along with that, undereating for your level of exercise that much is going to suppress your metabolism too, so even eating less.

You can't do anything about the first problem now - that muscle is gone. Though you can try to retain what you got left.
    You can do something about the second problem now - eat better for your level of activity.

Go set the MFP Diet/Fitness goal to 1lb weekly loss.
    Log and eat back ALL your exercise calories you burn off, you still have a deficit in there for the 1lb weekly loss.
    And if your run is between levels as shown in exercise database, select the slower speed level unless really close to faster speed.
    Don't let people tell you HRM is required. The running stuff is more accurate than HRM if you match the pace given.

Or, keep going at this routine, you'll eventually reach 1 lb loss weekly, not because you purposely selected a wise choice, but your body forced you too. And actually, as many experience, you'll reach no weight loss eventually.

And then have a really fun hole to try to dig out of.

Slower is better, but not because you forced the body too.

And to one point you made along with great advice given by others too - strength training right now with a lot to lose is about the only time you have a chance of actually gaining muscle while eating at a deficit. You won't be able to do that closer to ideal weight actually.
  • chutch93
    chutch93 Posts: 9
    Options
    if you are "planning" to eat a diet where you will lose about 1.5 - 2 pounds per week then a weight loss "plateau" will not ever happen. Your metabolism does not decay by more than a few calories (10-100) based upon your weight loss and losing muscle is the only thing tht will really trigger this. Their is no starvation mode and nearly all "plateau's" are psychological. Everyone will tell you otherwise but they are fools. Believe me i have lost over 60 pounds and mid way through i hit a "plateau" i bought a food scale and went on losing weight as normal. You must measure your food or your mind will warp your conception of calories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hWej4e1u0

^Source! A must watch for any dieter.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options

You should look up your BMR. If I eat less than 1400 calories daily I will store fat and my weight will either maintain or gain. You gotta eat enough! 1200 calories is not one size fits all for a diet. :)
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you are working out a lot, I would suggest you eat more!!

I have only lost 32 pounds in nine months. It does get discouraging at times but slow and steady wins the race.

I eat back about 1/2 of my exercise calories and it has been helping.

Good Luck
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think you are being unrealistic in your approach and, to be honest, your expectations about weight loss. You goal seems reasonable though and you are right, you aren't gaining that much muscle.

You don't say if you are eating 1,200 calories total or netting 1,200 -- but if you aren't eating exercise calories back or not -- if you are not you should. If you are, you need to change your settings to lose 1 pound per week and eat you workout calories. Really, anyone who has less than 40-50 pounds to go should use the 1 pound a week setting.

Also, if you are disappointed with losing over a pound per week and calling that a plateau you definitely need to study up on healthy sustainable weight loss. It is not a quick process.
  • ileen327
    ileen327 Posts: 21
    Options
    ABSOLUTLY UP the calories a few days!!!! Not crazy but a couple of hundred and you are gonna think I am nuts but cut back on the cardio and do more weights! Or walk not run. I read an articule by a heart doctor and he said that running more than 3 times a week for long distance ( over 2 miles) makes small tears in the heart muscle and can age your heart so you will be not as healthy as a couch potato!
    Makes sense to me! Our forefathers , worked hard all day but not so much cardio and not so many heart attacks!
    You are losing a 1pd or so a week that is a good rate~ Some people only lose ounces a week and are happy!
    Enjoy life, you will get there! You are a success now! Don't get too anxious! Hugs for you!!!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Wow, 5 pounds in a month. Great job!
    Just careful that you aren't eating too little. That WILL eventually slow your progress.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic suggests you either up your exercise or cut your calories. I trust Mayo Clinic over Scooby Doo or whatever that site's name is.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    the problem is that over the past 4 weeks I have barely lost 5 pounds in total! I am getting SO discouraged.

that's actually really great progress. don't be fooled by that initial larger loss, that's typical for the beginning and can't be expected to continue.
  • Dana31601
    Dana31601 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating nearly enough. Have you check out the Road Map?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm