Overweight Pets

Options
Does anyone else have a pet who needs to be put on a diet? Mine does.
He is a 2 yr old Russian Blue aptly named "Smokey"
1'5" high
2' long
13.8 lbs

He is a BIG boy. I tried putting him on a diet a few months ago. But if you went within 10 feet of his bowl (and my house is super small so it happened all the time) he would hound you forever until you caved (Which my boyfriend did.. A lot)

644662_473860799352887_2112072091_n.jpg

644368_473860506019583_519051034_n.jpg

Putting it into perspective.. The dog is a 70 lb boxer/pit cross.

535749_473860099352957_85178712_n.jpg

Replies

• maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I had to with my old dog, before he died. He had a health condition, and required medication that caused him to gain weight. He was the alpha male, and it became so bad that I couldn't leave food out during the day because he would eat it and the other dog wouldn't get any. I had to start feeding them separately, and on a schedule. He did lose most of the weight he put on this way.

I asked the vet about my long-haired cat, because, well, I just can't see her body shape under all the hair. She weighs about 9 pounds, and she should be at 8, since she's a smaller cat, but she's okay for now. If she puts on any more weight I might start monitoring what she eats, since she's not very active.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my older two are a good weight, they filled out nicely once they got older. my kitten on the other hand is huge! hes 16lbs and only a year and a half. i wish i had a picture of his fat butt. the vet hasnt seen him yet, he goes in for shots in a few months. they're going to scold us i just know it. i'm sure we'll have to figure out some sort of diet, but he really doesnt eat more than the other two, hes just is a big cat.

around 430 - 5 every morning he comes and gets under the covers with me, and lays right on my stomach. it takes my breath away lol.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful cat! My suggestion is to keep to the same feeding schedule, just feed a little less at each meal (maybe 10-20% less). The weight should come off slowly, just like it does for us. You could also try a lower calorie cat food. I have one cat that is a slight bit chubby, and another that is lean (though not skinny). Without feeding them totally separately it is hard to keep them both at the right weigh. The problem is that lean cat likes to nibble at his food, but chubby eats his right away and goes looking for more. Here are my two furballs--we have two cat beds, but that obviously is not as cozy.

sharing1.jpg[/URL]
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    What a beautiful cat! My suggestion is to keep to the same feeding schedule, just feed a little less at each meal (maybe 10-20% less). The weight should come off slowly, just like it does for us. You could also try a lower calorie cat food. I have one cat that is a slight bit chubby, and another that is lean (though not skinny). Without feeding them totally separately it is hard to keep them both at the right weigh. The problem is that lean cat likes to nibble at his food, but chubby eats his right away and goes looking for more. Here are my two furballs--we have two cat beds, but that obviously is not as cozy.

sharing1.jpg[/URL]

So adorable. I wish we could keep my moo-butt on a diet but he just wont habe it. He will start eating my couch if he doesnt have food. Its rediculous. He nibbles his food but he does it every ten minutes or so. Its funny but kind of annoying.
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    Weighed Mr.Smokey today. He is now 15 POUNDS!!!! Sheesh.