Needing support. Big time

Options
So, I have been on MFP for 10 months now, and have been working on changing my relationship with food, and trying to get to a healthier place physically. And I felt like I was getting better, and starting to learn how to eat healthier until this morning. I haven't weighed myself for some time, because my scale wasn't always that accurate (I'd step on multiple times and get multiple answers). But today, I tried my parent's scale and it said I had gained 10 lbs. This just devastated me. I felt so frustrated because according to my weekly average intake, I should have lost 5 lbs in the last month, not gained 10. I felt like crying, I didn't want to go anywhere for the rest of the dayl. I feel like giving up. I don't know what to do, because I feel like if I'm eating the amount of calories scientifically suggested to lose weight, but then gaining weight instead, I don't know how to eat right at all. I am just so confused and upset, because I am sick of being bigger than my friends and peers. I just want to be able to go to prom and not be afraid of what everyone will think when they see me in a dress. I want to feel like I can stop worrying about my stomach fat bulging out over my pants when I sit down. I want to be able to go on living life, not letting my size stop me. I just really need a friend and support, and advice.

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you to open your diary as basically it is very important in order to receive advice on what your doing right or wrong. Don't give up it's attainable but take it one day at a time until you find what works for you.
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It can be very disheartening when the scale doesn't do what you want it to do. Ultimately, it comes down to the way you think about your weight.

Do you feel better, stronger, faster? If so, then screw the scale. Weight is just a measurement. The real progress comes from your health, not your weight.
  • thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

There can be several reasons for this!

1. You've been using an innacurate scale in the past and a new scale today. Scales are poor judges anyway, but using one like this is setting yourself up. Your parents's scale may be wrong. Your scale at home you already know is. Don't worry about the number.
    2. My weight swings wildly depending on what I've eaten, how i've worked out, the phase of the moon ... you get the idea. The important thing is how you feel. Are your clothes getting looser? Do you feel more toned? Stronger?
    3. If you have been tracking calories and sticking to your number it is not possible for you to have gained ten pounds of fat. That would mean that in the last month, you have eaten 35,000 calories more than you need to maintain your current weight. That's a LOT of cheating. lol

Keep your chin up!
  • tkbeem
    tkbeem Posts: 2
    Options
    Hang in there! If you are tracking your food honeslty, there could be multiple reasons to see weight gain. It could be that you used a different scale. Anytime I go to the DR my weight is different than when I use my scale. It could be that you have put on some muscle, which weighs more than fat. The best thing you can do is keep working hard. Do these three things and I think it will help. First, make sure you are tracking EVERYTHING you eat. I'm not saying you don't do that, but just saying make sure this is a priority. The second would be to get a new scale and stick with it. Only use that scale from here on out. Lastly, start taking body measurements. Sometimes you may hit a plateau, and your weight won't change but your body will. Keep track of your thighs, waist and chest. Have a close friend help you with this. They could also be your accountability partner. Keep working hard, you will get there. Make sure to friend people on here too. I have a few buddies that hold me accountable when they see i haven't logged in or am over my calorie intake. You're not alone on this journey!
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for people to be able to push you to work harder. Never give in, one step back, can be recovered and someday you'll remember winning this fight to get back your life with pride that you did it. Take it one day at a time and start logging everything. build up your workouts, its not a diet its a new lifestyle you can eat anything as long as its in moderation and within calorie goal. You set the goals so you decide how fast you'd like to lose weight. Good luck, add me if u need a friend, I also need to be pushed sometimes.. tc:flowerforyou:
  • Calliope90
    Calliope90 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, so much for the words of encouragement. I decided that it is possible that my old scale had been inaccurate to the point of misleading me, and I also think some significant constipation has added to the numbers being wacky. But nevertheless, it has motivated me to work a bit harder at meeting my goals, and to investigate new opportunities to work on getting healthier habits. Thanks again for all your kind words and advice- it helped me get through this difficult time.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I had a scale that would fluctuate every time I stepped on it so I bought a new one. When I stepped on the new one I was 7 pounds heavier:( I took it in stride because I know I still lost some weight. My advice is buy a new digital scale and start using that. I say digital because some weeks it helps to even see a .2 weight loss:)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Was your parent's scale the last one you used?
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    I've gained about 10 lbs since starting in Feb, but my measurements tell a different story! My bust is about half an inch larger, my waist is an inch smaller (hips are the same though). My thighs have visibly less cellulite, and my abs are finally starting to look like there are muscles somewhere in there. But yes, I've "gained weight". But it seems to be the good kind of weight. I look better now than I ever did in my teen and college years.

Have you been taking measurements? Are you smaller than before? Are your clothes starting to feel looser? These are better indicators than the number on the scale, in my opinion.
  • overthehill1
    Options
    Maybe you need to just weigh yourself on the same scale at the same time each time you weigh. Personally when I do step on the evil scale I do it it first thing in the morning about 30 minutes after I have woke up and before I eat breakfast. I read somewhere that that was the optimum time to get your true weight. I know it can be very disheartening but the trick is to stick with your plan and really pay attention to everything you eat, get your exercising in on a regular basis-even if it's just walking. You will begin to see a difference. None of us gained our extra weight overnight which means we are not going to lose it all overnite. You can do it just try to think about the positive changes you see and feel with yourself and you will accomplish your goals.
  • LadyEforReal
    LadyEforReal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What types of food does your diet consist of??