Amenorrhea (no period) experiences?

Options

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have secondary amenorrhea. Without birth control, I'll go about 6 months or so without a period. I've been this way since I was 16. My OB GYN says it's usually caused by being overweight or severely underweight. However, she did mention to me that there is a tribe in Africa that almost all the women have this issue naturally. So, she told me not to worry. It could be caused by weight or it could just be my natural rhythm.

It is possible to become pregnant even in the absence of a period. She told me to take birth control if I'm sexually active. I have a period every month like "normal" now. I'm taking Tri-Sprintec. They can also induce it by progesterone pills if you don't want to take BC.

(Forgot to mention, it can be caused by several other things. I remember she checked my hormone levels, which were fine. Hormonal imbalances can cause it too.)
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had this problem years ago before having children. In fact I had to start seeing a nutritionist to learn to eat healthier as I was not taking in enough fat.
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I experienced amenorrhea it was due to a pituitary tumor. Make sure you have your pituitary hormones checked!
  • weightliftingchick
    Options
    My only advice is to stay away from google. I had it a couple years ago and the doctor was never overly concerned but ran some tests anyway. Then I googled it and got myself all worked up while waiting for the test results. Turned out it was caused by rapid weight loss and it returned after 5 months.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am going thru this now. I haven't had my period since August 2012. I will be 44 this June. I am 5'6", 135 pounds and 21.6% BF which is considered "excellent" for my stats, but by no means too low! Last year, August i weighed about 143 and that September (first month without period) i dropped to 137.5. I thought i might be going thru menopause... Saw my PCP who was completely unconcerned and attributed to my weight loss.. Even though my 44.4 pound loss has been slow (since November 2011). She did routine blood work with no noted issues. Im smack dab in the middle for my BMI. I went to my gynecologist who also seemed unconcerned. She did hormone blood work and all came back totally normal. She said i am not menopausal according to my blood work and i have no other symptoms of menopause outside of not having my period.
    I do workout hard and strenuous mixing things up, with various forms of cardio such as spinning, interval training, elliptical, boot camps, hiking, running, Pilates, yoga, etc. i work out 6 days of the week and one of those days is usually a light day doing just hatha yoga and light cardio. I also lift weights changing things up every 4-8 weeks from doing low reps/ heavy weight to low weight/high reps and various mixtures in between.
    My diet is largely lacto-ovo vegetarian, which i have been since 1988 so this is NOT a new dietary choice. I try to keep my macros at 50% carbs and 25% for both protein/fat. I take a multivitamin daily as well as omega fatty acids, magnesium and calcium with vitamin D.
    I think am beginning to think that it could be training too vigorously although i feel capable and able to maintain my workout schedule and do take time off or lighten things up if i feel my body needs it. The other possibility is adding muscle increases testosterone levels... Although my blood work was normal.
    I dont mind not having my period, but it is sort of concerning as to why my normal biological function would just come to a screeching halt in a months time. ????
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and experiences. I'm meeting with a nutritionist on Tuesday to review my diet in more detail. In the meantime, I've upped my calories and am focusing on adding good fats - nuts, avocado, olive oil, whole eggs, coconut oil, full fat yogurt.

I'm hoping I can get my period to return without too much trouble. This is stressing me out. My BMI is at the bottom of the healthy range but clearly my body disagrees.

I saw my PCP yesterday for an already scheduled physician and he reviewed my blood work. As he explained to me, everyone's body is different and even though he would agree that it seems like I am eating enough and not over-exercising, it might be too much for my body. I'm going to try to cut back slightly on intensity at the gym or perhaps drop down from 6 days to 5 days in addition to the diet adjustments. I have the endocrinologist appointment at the beginning of May so I'm hoping that making these adjustments now might make things look better by the time of that appointment but maybe I am being naive and it is going to take more than that....

Jen

It sounds like you are doing everything right. The doctor should also check for other causes (other than weight). I am the same size as you. I am 5'2" and my weight fluctuates between 99 and 103 (usually around 100 or 101). But, I do agree and know that everyone is different in terms of what is a healthy weight for their body. I have always been at this weight, except for during my pregnancies, but even then I only weighed around 110 once I had given birth and had all my fluids and blood volume return to normal and I had a few weeks to adjust. I've never had menstrual problems. But, when I was 16, my weight dropped down to 88 pounds and my health was seriously suffering (and so was I trying to cope with being in that state). I was obviously way too thin. I stopped getting my period for 6 months. I'm not sure when my period returned, but at least by somewhere before I hit 95 pounds. Once I was at 98 pounds I was fully recovered, healthy and thriving again (luckily it was short lived and my body was young and resilient). But, other people seem to do well at lower weights and others need to be at a much higher weight. Health is most important! :flowerforyou:
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing at times of very high stress and/or a big change in routine. (My BMI is in the overweight range) Often it's your body re-adjusting to stress, and it's very true that everybody is different and reacts differently. If you're otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    havent had mine in 1.5 years. doctor also told me i was underweight and told me to go up to 120 lbs. um no. not going to wash away all my hard work on purpose. i know theres certain meds they can give u for making it happen. but yea basically the body doesnt have enough fat or maybe because youre so active and it bascially says " im doing to much and i dont have time to produce hormones for reproduction right now" ,
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    From my experience, I had it for about 2 months and absolutely freaked out (I really do get pretty intense periods...). I found it was when I had changed my diet drastically and also started exercising more. I guess my body was just adjusting?

My tip: wear a white skirt. The first time I have worn a white skirt in years, and they finally came out of nowhere! Even better? Dad had to point it out *face palm*
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out another possibility to consider. When I was in my early 20s, I slowed down to only having a period every 5 months. Discussed it with my PCP who thought it was due to meds I had started about 6 months prior. Mine were anti-depressants and mood stabilizers but I'm sure there are other meds out there that can cause the same side effect. Anyway, my PCP said since my pap smears and blood work were all fine that I could either take BC pills to regulate or just enjoy not having periods every month. I went with the second option. :happy: A year and a half to two years later I was beginning to rethink that choice due to the hot flashes and night sweats when my body decided that it had gotten used to the meds enough, and I started having periods more frequently and eventually settled out to being very regular for the first time ever in my life.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    From my experience, I had it for about 2 months and absolutely freaked out (I really do get pretty intense periods...). I found it was when I had changed my diet drastically and also started exercising more. I guess my body was just adjusting?

My tip: wear a white skirt. The first time I have worn a white skirt in years, and they finally came out of nowhere! Even better? Dad had to point it out *face palm*

So true. you can always rely on Murphy's Law! :embarassed:
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Exact same boat here. Been PCOS since puberty but I'm afraid its ovarian failure. I also looked into Hypothalamic Ammenorhea, which categorizes it in two ways. Either you are underweight, or your body has a different "ideal" weight. This can happen if you were overweight during puberty, or perhaps for a long time otherwise, so even though you're healthy, your body doesn't want to consider it as healthy until you're overweight again. If I were in that situation, I'd take the healthy weight over the period. But I KNOW hormones SUCK! I'm actually taking Provera right now, and even though everyone else hates it, I'm feeling wonderful, like I've been lacking progesterone THAT much! And whats fascinating, when I took another kind of progesterone and felt awful so its really trial and error.
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing the registered nutritionist on Tuesday so I'm looking forward to seeing what she has to say, while I wait for the endocrinologist appointment.

In the meantime, I've upped the healthy fats in my diet - added almonds, avocado, starting cooking with some healthy oils, eating higher fat yogurt.

I don't mind not having a period, but my hormones are all out of whack and there are health consequences of not having a period (e.g. bone density issues among other things). There is no point in working so hard to live a healthy lifestyle in terms of diet and exercise if in fact, what I'm doing is causing health problems. However, I strongly feel like I am eating enough and not over-exercising so it is stressing me out. I'm optimistic that the lack of enough healthy fats may have been my issue but I'm anxious to hear with the nutritionist has to say.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I've been like that from the start coz of high testosterone levels. Been to 3 OB gynes who told me that it must be PCOS and gave me pills and metformin but to no avail other than I now use metformin as part of my maintenance for type 2 diabetes. Aside from that I also have a beard which I shave everyday.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Do you know your body fat percentage? I have experienced something similar, and it was due to low body fat. I was dancing competitively, teaching dance after my training, dancing in a couple shows a week, and running to stay as light as possible for my partner (lifts). It was an intense training schedule on top of a physically demanding job that caused the loss for me. According to my doctor, this is common for female athletes.

Apologies if the body fat has been brought up prior to my post, I skimmed the responses after the original.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Make sure you see that Endo.. my husband had some reproductive issues, obviously not amenorrhea, and was diagnosed with a Prolactinoma (a pituitary tumor) -- which sounds a lot scarier than it is in most cases... Amenorrhea is a symptom of this too.. and your pituitary gland is responsible for most of your body's hormones.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Seriously, have they given you an ultrasound, MRI or anything. Not getting a period is serious. Don't let them push you aside. Get an ultrasound first, at least. :heart:

Can you elaborate on what "a while" means?
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to stay away from google. I had it a couple years ago and the doctor was never overly concerned but ran some tests anyway. Then I googled it and got myself all worked up while waiting for the test results. Turned out it was caused by rapid weight loss and it returned after 5 months.

^^ this. When I was really really heavy I skipped for a year. Googled it and wound up in tears. Turned out to be hormonal: my body decided I wasn't healthy enough to support another life. Dropped 30 lbs and it came back.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I looked on webmd because i havent had my period in over a year and they have some helpful things on here, so most of what these ladies are telling you are a possibility.
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just to update - I met with a registered nutritionist yesterday who agreed/confirmed that (1) I'm still a healthy BMI, (2) I'm not over-exercising, (3) I'm not undereating at 2000+ calories per day and (4) the most likely problem if my hormone imbalance issues are indeed due to lifestyle is that my healthy fats were too low. She recommended I get at least 25% of my diet from fat or ideally closer to 30%. I'm making those changes now. I'll still be seeing an endocrinologist in a few weeks as well.

I appreciate the support. I hope this issue resolves quickly!

Jen