Seems like lifting weights made me gain weight!

Options
I am on a weight loss goal to lose 70lbs. 2 weeks I go I weighed 215lbs which which made me at a current weight loss of 25lbs. But this past week I have been lifting weights and doing cardio, and it was a few days I went over my calorie limit but I burned it off on the treadmill. To my surprise when I weighed myself today, I was 5lbs heavier. Was it the weight lifting?

Replies

• RideLifeAway
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat so maybe that was part of it. Otherwise it could have been water weight or the time of day that you weighed yourself that made a difference. Generally people weigh less in the morning than at night.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat.

It is probably water retention, stay hydrated and it will balance itself out eventually!
  • Lifting weights makes me retain water, so it could be that, yes. But it's not permanent and totally is worth it.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Probably. Sore/recovering muscles retain water. It should go away in a few days.

It's normal, and you'll stop seeing it once your body acclimates.
  • otai1
    otai1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Could be water retention or gained muscle mass. Sounds like you are good!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

It is probably water retention, stay hydrated and it will balance itself out eventually!

^^ Thank you!! Totally agree!!
  • dwillz7208
    dwillz7208 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I was stressing wondering what could have caused the weight gain
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat so maybe that was part of it. Otherwise it could have been water weight or the time of day that you weighed yourself that made a difference. Generally people weigh less in the morning than at night.

If it was possible to gain 5lbs of muscle in one week of lifting, we'd all look like bodybuilders by now.

Muscle is more dense than fat, but the OP couldn't have gained enough muscle this week to show up on the scale.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yup, just water. It will start going back down soon, just keep kicking *kitten*! :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely water retention. Keep at it. Lifting weight will more likely give you the body you want better than losing weight will!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention or gained muscle mass. Sounds like you are good!
    Aside from certain exceptions (and in very small amounts), you don't gain muscle mass while in a caloric deficit. You do, however, retain water/glycogen in the muscles as a result of the workouts, which may mask weight loss and/or show up as a temporary gain.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You did not build muscle mass in one week. However, when you first start weightlifting, your body will retain water. It should go away soon.
    Keep lifting, keep a moderate caloric deficit, and reassess in about a month or so.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Weight Lifting most definitely DOES make you Gain Weight, at least when you first start. However it also changes the shape of your Body.
    5 Pounds of Muscle weighs EXACTLY THE SAME. as 5 Pounds of Fat but they LOOK Compleyely Different!
    Keep enjoying the Weight Lifting, and check your measurements about Once A Month. I think you will be Very Happy with the Inches Lost no matter what the Number on the Scale says.