I plan on removing most processed foods.

Options
2»

Replies

• ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook if you don't already!

I've been cooking all my life so all is good. We are pretty balanced in this household. However, as to my overall fitness and health goals, I am gradually removing all junk processed foods. And limiting minimally processed healthy foods.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. Frozen veggies are minally processed so those are staying with fresh ones locally are out. I do go to are weekly farmers market in season and winter markets as well. I also get local eggs and chickens.

It is something I feel I need to do to be in optimal health. It's so easy to eat crap if it's there and easy to get.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to echo what everyone else said...giving up (for the most part) processed food has been the best thing I've ever done for myself. I wish you luck with it!
  • saranl3293
    saranl3293 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have done a similar thing. Ive cut out "bready carbs" because they are extremely processed. Its really difficult.. because I love them but it has had made my weight loss a lot easier. Once in a while I'll eat them on a hard workout day!
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am slowly starting the process as well. Good luck to you!
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I have decided to remove the vast majority of processed foods from my diet. This will be a gradual process. I hope to get to the point that the only processed foods I eat are things that are very minimally processed that are natural that the processing does not impact the nutritional benefits. Any advice, tips? Wish me luck!

You can do it! I'm 100% processed free and I'll never go back! Start by adding more produce to your usual grocery runs, go through the drive thru a few times fewer, drink more water, and do NOT quit soda or caffeine products cold turkey! Ya gotta ween off of that stuff (if you drink it. I dunno if you do, but if you do...) Little by little start switching to the organic versions of your usual faves, cook for yourself more and more often and it will eventually become natural. :)
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I did it and feel SO much better. If it comes in a box, I'll pass.

My advice? Start venturing into the world of spices. It makes a huge difference when seasoning chicken breast, veggies, etc. Get yourself a little indoor grill for meat (I can make 2 breasts in 8 minutes on mine, huge timesaver). Fill your crisper in your fridge. More color, the better.

Good advice! Spices really are the difference between sticking with organic and not. :)
  • cmkme
    cmkme Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been slowing clearing my pantry of processed foods. I used to be a big coupon clipper and couldn't pass on a great deal. Most of the deals were pre-packaged chemical laden garbage. I thought buying cheaper items with coupons would save me money, but now I know I was wrong. Organic and minimally processed foods go on sale, too, and when they do I stock up. Reading through my grocery receipts, I only spend about 5% more per month on groceries than I did before.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I "Try" to live by: if I can't pronounce it, I shouldn't consume it. Not always easy, but I do the best I can... That's really all anyone us can do.
    Just try not to take the statement to literally. if you were to break down all components of an apple or banana, there will probably be some words that you couldn't pronounce. lol :laugh:

Good luck :flowerforyou: