My macros are always off. Advice please

Options
I have my macros setting as the auto MFP ratio's but I am usually over in my protein and fats whist I'm usually way under in my carbs. My diary is open so you can see I eat a healthy diet and it's not like I'm restricting carbs, it's just how it falls.

I'm losing weight now but am wondering if this is going to be a concern down the track as I still have a ways to go.

Thanks in advance for your two cents worth.

Replies

• magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's probably better in the long run when losing weight to be over in protein so you maintain muscle. I wouldn't worry about it much as long as your fats are unsaturated.
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    MFP always overestimates carbs. Maybe its a reflection of our carb-loving society, I don't know. Carbs should be 55% or less...always personalize your nutrient goals, especially this one if no other. As for fats, you can go up to 30% just choose healthy ones.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's probably better in the long run when losing weight to be over in protein so you maintain muscle. I wouldn't worry about it much as long as your fats are unsaturated.

All my fats are the good ones, tinned tuna is the closest I get to processed food.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I have my macros setting as the auto MFP ratio's but I am usually over in my protein and fats whist I'm usually way under in my carbs. My diary is open so you can see I eat a healthy diet and it's not like I'm restricting carbs, it's just how it falls.

I'm losing weight now but am wondering if this is going to be a concern down the track as I still have a ways to go.

Thanks in advance for your two cents worth.

Nope... Carry on.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

This^^^

I eat about 1400-1600 calories, 120 grams protein and 45-50 grams fat with 100-150 carbs.
    More protein is good. Fats are good, if they are good fats
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary the past few days. It looks good to me. Make sure you eat no less than you calculated BMR and always eat back exercise calories.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    If you continue eating the same but went in and customized your macros to 40c/30p/30f (which is quite popular) your macro goals would probably more accurately represent the way you are already eating if the red numbers are nothing you.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    MFP always overestimates carbs. Maybe its a reflection of our carb-loving society, I don't know. Carbs should be 55% or less...always personalize your nutrient goals, especially this one if no other. As for fats, you can go up to 30% just choose healthy ones.

Yes, this. ^^^

So true that MFP defaults are very silly. Totally high in carbs and low in protein. Here are a few things you can do:

#1 - Realize that there is nothing sacred about the MFP numbers and "going red" is okay! For example, there is a RANGE of grams-of-protein that you should eat a day, but MFP is not set up to show green numbers inside a range and red outside a range. Also, some things like fiber should have a minimum but no maximum. So the system that only allows you to pick a single number and be green above it and red below it is pretty silly. Bottom line: Know what you should eat and don't be afraid of red numbers if you are getting the nutrition that you need!

#2 - Find out from a reliable source (MFP defaults are not reliable -- think about it, why would you need the same as every other MFP member on the planet? You are not the same height/weight/bodyfat/gender/etc. as everyone else). For example, there are formulas that you can use to calculate the amount of protein that you should be eating depending on your weight, activity level, etc. A quick rule of thumb is to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass. But you can hardly overdo protein, so err on the side of being generous.

#3 - Definitely customize the macro settings. Here is what I do for my diary: From My Home tab click Goals, choose Customize, then change the macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. This is a good, balance ratio that scales up/down well to various calorie amounts and is one of the most recommended rations in the nutrition/fitness field. To check how your day is shaping up as you go along so that you can course-correct (e.g., have some extra protein for dinner if it's too low so far for the day), go to the app version of MFP (I use the iPhone app) and on the Home screen click the Daily tab, then tap the pie chart icon in the upper-right corner. This will display your diary macros as percentages. You can also see how the week is shaping up too. (I also up my fiber number to remind me to aim for lots of fiber.)

#4 - Which brings me to my next point: Its almost impossible to exactly balance each day, so don't try. Once in a while you have a party or eat out. Try balancing for the week instead. Use the week view to see if you are trending to hit your macro goals, and do some course corrections each day to keep on track.

A lot of people just accept the default macros or ignore them altogether. Kudos to you for being concerned about your macros! :flowerforyou:
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary the past few days. It looks good to me. Make sure you eat no less than you calculated BMR and always eat back exercise calories.

Yes, this ^^^ You are getting good advice on this thread :smile:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You should be eating a minimum of 1 gram of protein and 0.35gm fat per lb of lean body mass, not going by percentages.

That said, the MFP settings are way too low on protein, especially considering most people here are eating at a deficit.