Success with no excerise

ladybb7
ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
I'm wondering how many people have success losing weight with no addition exercise. I know this is not the ideal option and that exercise has wonderful benefits- I'm just curious more than anything....

Replies

• sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    I lost the first 38 pounds or so with very little additional exercise, just a bit more walking. I would consider that loss the "easy" weight loss as I had so much to lose. To continue losing and to eat more i have since added a fair amount of exercise, and some strength training as well. For me switching things up to continue to lose has been and will continue to be key.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    You can but your more than likely to put the weight back on without building muscle. For every pound of muscle you have, you burn like an extra 50+ calories a day just sitting there.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    my initial 30 pounds that I lost were with barely any exercise... However, like you said, exercise has benefits. It does aid in the way you lose weight as well as it sets you up to continue to maintain your weight when you get to your goal. I just finished the 30 Day Shred this past week. I haven't decided what to do next (other than walking around the block since the weather is finally nice).

So, yes, you can just lose weight without extra exercising, but then you miss out on all the benefits that exercising provides.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    You can be a light weight and have no muscle tone and no cardiovascular endurance. Skinny does not mean healthy. Toning your muscles, including your heart means you will be physically fit.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    <== still going. The only thing I do is 30 minutes of walking 5 days/ week (I eat back every calorie too).

Remember, what ever you do, you will have to KEEP doing for the rest of your life. I personally would rather not have to rely on being able to work out 5 days a week until I die. Life has a way of messing up plans. Yes it takes a little longer (9 months so far) but at least I know that I never have to feel bad that I didn't make it to the gym because something came up ;) If I can do a little extra exercise I do but it's never anything formal. Just a walk or hike when the weather gets warmer.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    My first 20lbs were lost without lifting a finger. I wanted to make sure I had my eating under control. Then from 20-35lbs lost, I walked on the treadmill. Then I joined taekwondo/fitness. I've only lost 10lbs since January, but I've lost about 6 inches in the same time (23 total!!)

It's possible without exercise, but I feel 1000 times better now that I've got a killer routine!
  • Chalk me up as another person who lost a lot of weight with zero exercise (in the past... I reached my target weight and added exercise for the other health benefits). In fact, I get a good laugh at the number of people who start hitting the elliptical for 30 minutes twice a week - with no diet change at all - and expect the pounds to start dropping away. Exercise alone is NOT a good weight loss plan, considering how easy it is to allow yourself just one more slice of pizza since you've been doing such a good job exercising! And "getting some popcorn at the movie isn't a big deal since I've been working out".
  • bluebuggy1970
    bluebuggy1970 Posts: 70 Member
    When my metabolism existed at 36, I dropped from 220 to 190 with out much exercise and eating 1500 calories a day. Today at 43, I eat 1200 calories a day, have exercised almost daily since February to Jillian and the weight is slowly coming off. I think once you get close to your ideal weight, exercise is a must.
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    I asked a similar question
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/930524-is-anyone-else-doing-this-without-exercise
    because I was feeling outfaced.

Agreed all you need is a calorie deficit, but there are some interesting comments.

The 2 most thought provoking are the lady who lost 80lbs no exercise who now says she looks like a sharpei and the lady who has a spinal injury.

I have now started walking!
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    I lost 40 lbs without exercise. Now I workout 30 minutes weights 2 to 3 times a week and I walk a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I feel great and my skin is slowly tightening up.

That sharpei comment is so true for me too. I have less loose skin now since I started exercising and I have lost over 70 lbs now.
    I started with 5 lb dumbbells at home for 10 min and walking 10 min a day then increased over time.

I don't think most people have to work out 2 to 3 hours a day to succeed, and doing something is better than nothing in my opinion.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!