Thinking of moving to NC...

Options
Laurieann137
Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
So my husband and I have been thinking of moving to North Carolina on and off for all of the 14 years we have been married. But we started having kids and both of our families are here so we stayed. Even our Pastor told us to move since my family is close nit but also a bit controlling. Now my husband and I are 38 and haven't done much with our careers or lives. We haven't lived more than 20 miles away from our parents....ever. We are still close to our families, but not like before. My husband has been working at a NASCAR short track for 19+ years. He has some connections in NASCAR so we are thinking since NC is so big with racing that maybe that might be a good career move for him. We love the area from what we know of it and know it would be a big change from good old Wisconsin! It is April and it is snowing today! UGH! But the weather is only one of the reasons we want to move. Can anyone give me some advice on North Carolina and our possible move there? We would want to do it before school starts next fall if possible. Thanks!

Replies

• Laurieann137
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
  • swiftjen77
    Options
    Do it. I lived in NC for 10 years before my fiance got transferred to Michigan, and this was 6 years ago. The plan was to stay in Michigan (suburban Detroit) for 4 years. Well... like I said 6 years later here we are. We are trying to move back and stay with the company.. just waiting on a position to open. Oh how I miss NC climate! Even today in the middle of April we have snow in our forecast... BLAHHH!!!! Sick. of. it. Plus we just had a baby in August and we don't want him to grow up here. You will love it - it's so beautiful there! If you can do it, do it. :)
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    My husband would love to move to NC. He's been trying to get me to agree for sometime now. Your story is alot like mine. We are 38/39 have 2 kids and live in the same town we grew up in. Both are families are here and we are close to them. I would love to know what you decide to do. We will probibly someday go, but the question is when?
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I lived in various parts of NC for 20-some years and really liked it. The coast is great, the mountains are incredible. The middle part has some nice areas too....around Charlotte and Raleigh. I would recommend the mountain area for sure!!! Maybe around Boone or Asheville? Great place to live!
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Most of the areas near Charlotte are where you'd want to be. I was born and raised in NC and haven't left. :) It's a wonderful state- you can go from the mountains to the beach in a few hours and have major cities nearby (Charlotte and Raleigh).
    Check out Concord, Huntersville and the Mooresville areas. You can go a little further out and go towards Lincolnton, which isn't far from those areas but the cost of living is probably a little bit less. You'll also be close to beautiful Lake Norman!

NC has good schools (depending on where you are) and has four seasons! It can get warm and humid in the summer, but we have air conditioning for that. :)

ETA- I mention that area because that's where a bulk of the Nascar focused stuff is. Charlotte Motor Speedway is in Concord, but there are several smaller tracks nearby and there are a lot of drivers in the surrounding towns. My hometown has the Jarretts in it.
    ETA (again)- Mooresville is also home to the Nascar Technical Institute. http://www.uti.edu/request-info
  • tiff2351
    tiff2351 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live near the NC/SC state line. I grew up here. I'm about 30 min Myrtle Beach. I think you would enjoy NC. I has a small town feel with bigger areas not too far away. I think you will miss your family but I am also thinking of moving 3 hours away. The husband and son are all for it-me not so much! Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    North Carolina is beautiful! The mountains (Asheville area) are stunning, and the coast is lovely. We lived in NC for about 10 years. I especially love the coastal area, it has a culture all it's own! The people are warm, and so is the weather. I hope you find what you're looking for there.
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you......I too am in Wisconsin with this awful snow!!! I used to visit some of my family in North Carolina on family trips in summer! I loved it. I have often thought of moving there myself.. It is just a big move!! I love the beach and the friendly people and the heat!! Go for it! :smile:
  • Laurieann137
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I greatly appreciate it!! My husband would focus in the area of Charlotte, Concord and Mooresville. I just applied to a position in Greensboro. We were looking at Lexington for a happy medium. The more research I do the more I fall in love with the area! We have good friends in Flat Rock so that would help the move a bit to know they are close by. The guy worked with my dad for like 30 years here in WI. I also have a cousin in South Carolina somewhere...still need to find that out though. I would miss my family very much but outside of leaving my parents, I don't know that I would be so sad to have that distance. I am scared to death but at the same time SO excited to make this move! I hope we can find jobs and make the move soon! Thank you again for your input. If you have more input please keep them coming. If anyone wants to add me as a friend they can do that as well!