Cardio & Strength Suggestions

Options
Hi guys,

I have recently started the couch to 5k programme ran in the UK by the NHS through a series on podcasts.

I am happy with this as my cardio, I am burning 300/400 calories doing this 3 times per week.

However, I'd quite like to add in some strength/toning exercises in there too. Any suggestions on what to do? I have 0.5kg weights, 1kg & 2kg weights to use.

I am in the UK, and although 30 Day Shred is on Youtube, I can't really access any of Jillian Michael's stuff.

Would doing 30 Day shred on my cardio 'off' days be beneficial? or too much cardio?

Thanks guys :)

Aims

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you're getting into running, then glute-strengthening exercises are a must - squats will become your friend! I also try to do core (I.e. belly) work in the form of Pilates or gym ball exercises. Zest magazine often has good home exercise ideas.
    Had no idea 30day shred was on YouTube-was about to buy it, thanks!
  • SaffSaad
    SaffSaad Posts: 81
    Options
    You can find lots of strength and resistance programs on Youtube. Here are two good channels:

FitnessBlender
    BeFiT
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I'm doing the nhs c25k app. Im on week 3.

If u google fitnessblender they have some good workouts on there. I've started doing a 20 min upper body workout.

Xx
  • aims_86
    aims_86 Posts: 74
    Options
    Aww cool thanks !

Will check them out Xx
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I have recently started the couch to 5k programme ran in the UK by the NHS through a series on podcasts.

I am happy with this as my cardio, I am burning 300/400 calories doing this 3 times per week.

However, I'd quite like to add in some strength/toning exercises in there too. Any suggestions on what to do? I have 0.5kg weights, 1kg & 2kg weights to use.

I am in the UK, and although 30 Day Shred is on Youtube, I can't really access any of Jillian Michael's stuff.

Would doing 30 Day shred on my cardio 'off' days be beneficial? or too much cardio?

Thanks guys :)

Aims

Why can't you access JM stuff?

My suggestions are Chalean Extreme and Body by you/ you are your own gym.
  • aims_86
    Options
    don't want to pay a fortune for them when there are alternatives. Her DVD set is £19 on amazon, but when I've bought weights etc, didn't really want to pay for a DVD too if I can find another one somewhere else.
  • LZW212
    LZW212 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Kettle bell swing, a HIIT workout that will intensify your cardio and increase strength. Place a kettlebell on the floor and get into a squat position making sure the weight is front and centered between your legs. Grip the handle of the kettlebell with both hands and stand straight up lifting the weight the floor with your arms extended over and above your head. This is an explosive workout and be sure to choose a lighter weight in the beginning.
  • aims_86
    Options
    Cool, thanks :) i'll give this a try. I'll begin with the 0.5kg weight then... !
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As you do C25k ,why not doing the Strength and Flex program , its on the same NHS page and you already used to the podcasts! ; :-)
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Jillian's "No More Trouble Zones" is a strength-based workout and is also on YouTube, all 6 circuits. She uses 3-lb weights throughout, but for the moves where I can handle it, I move up to my 5-lb ones.

It is a kick-*kitten* workout that is about 45-50 minutes total. I have been alternating between it and her Ripped in 30, and in between days I do those, I do cardio. It's a good mix, and I can already see and feel results in the month or so I've been doing this.
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BUMP