Crazy diet plan from an MD!

I work with a guy who is about 6'3" and 290 pounds. He's in his early 60s. HIs doctor was very concerned about his weight and what it was doing to his blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc. The doctor's recommendation was to switch to a special diet to drop weight fast:

800 calories per day!! He has specific prepackaged "meals" that he has to eat at every meal, 4 meals per day. It looks like prepackaged, very thin oatmeal. ZERO other calories allowed.

The guy dropped 80 pounds in a very short period of time. Then switched back to a more "normal" diet and gained 90 pounds back. After several months, the doctor put him back on this diet again with the same weight loss results. And then he stopped to diet with the same weight gain results. He's currently on his third go around right now.

Has anyone ever heard of such insanity?! And from a MEDICAL DOCTOR?

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    What is your colleague eating off 800?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member

She says
    "He has specific prepackaged "meals" that he has to eat at every meal, 4 meals per day. It looks like prepackaged, very thin oatmeal.ZERO other calories allowed."

To me, it sounds like the Dr doesn't really care and is just ticking the boxes. Your co-worker should be branching out, as well, though. It clearly doesn't work for him.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Nope. Never heard of it.

Is it called the orphan diet? All you eat is gruel?
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member

She says
    "He has specific prepackaged "meals" that he has to eat at every meal, 4 meals per day. It looks like prepackaged, very thin oatmeal.ZERO other calories allowed."

To me, it sounds like the Dr doesn't really care and is just ticking the boxes. Your co-worker should be branching out, as well, though. It clearly doesn't work for him.
    What I asked was what is he eating off 800, aka what is his idea of 'normal;
  • chillmcgren
    chillmcgren Posts: 31 Member
    Sounds like the doctor may be getting paid by the gruel co.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member

She says

What I asked was what is he eating off 800, aka what is his idea of 'normal;

Ah, sorry, that was not at all clear.

And I agree with the person above ,the the Dr is getting kickbacks.
  • grnbfy
    grnbfy Posts: 2 Member
    I have seen something similar to this, but it was for a woman who had serious GI problems and had to have part of her intestines removed. She was n it for about 6 months, but I believe it was to allow her intestines to heal after the surgery.
  • He's eating everything within reach, since he "fixed" his weight problem and can stop that awful gruel diet!

I just don't get it - this is obviously not working. And the guesses above are correct - the meals are purchased from the doctor's office. Must be the doc has a boat payment due.

I'll keep trying to convince him to get a second opinion AT LEAST. In the doc's defense, maybe he's doing the right thing and pushing for a reasonable maintenance diet after the near fast and my co-worker just isn't listening. This guy is definitely capable of a listening problem.
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    The doctor is making money off of him, of course he's not going to suggest a different route unless the patient brings up the topic and demands a different opinion..

Tell the dude to eat healthy, cut back on calories, and work out. It's the most simple process ever.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 339 Member
    Be a good friend, Drop an anonymous note with this website addy on his desk :)
  • I have seen stuff like this- it's called the cambridge diet? It's supposed to be something like 500 calories a day of pre done soups and shakes. I think it's given to people who need to lose a drastic amount of weight very quickly- for health reasons! Although, my aunty went on it and she wasn't severely overweight! I know that before a gastric band, you have to do something similar!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    I work with a guy who is about 6'3" and 290 pounds. He's in his early 60s. HIs doctor was very concerned about his weight and what it was doing to his blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc. The doctor's recommendation was to switch to a special diet to drop weight fast:

800 calories per day!! He has specific prepackaged "meals" that he has to eat at every meal, 4 meals per day. It looks like prepackaged, very thin oatmeal. ZERO other calories allowed.

The guy dropped 80 pounds in a very short period of time. Then switched back to a more "normal" diet and gained 90 pounds back. After several months, the doctor put him back on this diet again with the same weight loss results. And then he stopped to diet with the same weight gain results. He's currently on his third go around right now.

Has anyone ever heard of such insanity?! And from a MEDICAL DOCTOR?

doctor's know JACK **** about nutrition. end of story. never take their advice without getting a second opinion from a nutritionist.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Fad diets do work. They help you lose weight, sometimes (most times) in a most unhealthy way. But if you go back to the way of eating that made you gain weight in the first place then guess what's going to happen? I thinks there are some "diets" that can work like Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, etc - IF they're used to help you learn healthy eating habits like balanced eating and portion control. It's a VERY big IF.

You would think that a super low-calorie diet, as long as it's under a doctor's care, would be relatively safe. But the guy's been on it a few times now and gained everything back. Obviously he's going back to what he considers normal, which is causing all the weight he lost, and then some, to come back. You hear the same thing happening with weight-loss surgery.

If I had a Dr. that was promoting that kind of yo-yo dieting I'd be looking for a new Dr.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    I could see putting someone who's very obese on that kind of diet, but I think the problem is that when he comes off of it, they're not teaching him how to eat healthy. They should gradually increase his calories, and not just tell him, ok, you're done, eat a healthy diet. Most people who are very heavy don't have a clue what a healthy diet is. Everyone tells you what NOT to eat, but nobody tells you what you SHOULD eat. It doesn't have to be just fruit, veggies, chicken, n fish, which most people don't realize. Certainly noone is going to stick to such a bland, boring diet for the long hall. Also, if he's just going to keep putting the weight back on , then such a restrictive diet is not going to do him any good. He's feeling starved and deprived, which he pretty much is, and when it's said and done, he's gorging to make up for those feelings. Also, he will eventually quit being able to follow that 800 calorie diet, and just give up, because people don't like to experience those feelings at all, let alone several times. Did you tell your friend about MFP? I think he would have better success just following a healthy diet and losing the weight gradually, rather than all of a sudden.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    I'm surprised the guy is giving it a third try, given the regain after the first two times. And I'd be concerned (hey, doc) about what it might be doing to the fellow's basic health. Any time something this drastic is suggested it should definitely come with classes on healthy eating because obviously the patient, and the doctor, are clueless.

As suggested by another poster...introduce the guy to this site. One big draw is great information for free. And that's got to be cheaper than what he's paying the doc for failure!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    MD=\= nutristionist or dietician.

i wouldnt ask my ob/gyn about a cough, or a dentist about a skin rash.
  • My question is..how does this not throw up a bright red flag for your co-worker?? He obviously needs a new doctor...that is just not healthy
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Be a good friend, Drop an anonymous note with this website addy on his desk :)
    exactly, the friend CLEARLY knows its not going to work ,

however he has dedication , to stay on it long enough to lose 80lbs is amazing, ..

and i agree, doctor is making money off peddling this ****...

if he is 6 ft 3 290, he can SAFELY consume 2k of calories a DAY and still lose weight!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    He needs to get a proper doctor and dietician
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Wow - just wow, that this guy just keeps following the doc's orders knowing that he will soon be right back to where he started. He seriously needs some help from someone that knows what the hell they are talking about. Have an honest conversation with him about this site and finding a new doctor. Maybe seeing that someone else is concerned for his health and what the doc is prescribing for him will make him realize that this route is not the best or safest option for him. He needs to ask to see a different doctor and get a referral to a RD.

Just be very candid with him about it. Sometimes that is what it takes to shake someone out of denial.

He is apparently concerned about his health, or he would not keep following this diet plan laid out for him by his doc. Maybe he just needs someone to show him the proper way to do it!