Wii fit. Any good???

Options
Hey,

I am stuck at home with a 6 month old who is still breastfeeding so I am not able to get out to the gym which is frustrating! SO I was thinking about investing in the Nintendo Wii and the Wii Fit game. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on it, good bad, brilliant, waste of time etc, let me know.

Sophie x x x

Replies

• tuckervc
    tuckervc Posts: 30
    Options
    I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it. I have it and enjoy using it a few times a week in addition to walking on the treadmill. It is fun and breaks up just walking all the time. I step, hula, like the balance games, and wii Dance. Check online or at a store where you can buy used system. My children also enjoy playing wii games. Another option is youtube videos.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have one and I rarely use it, but it would certainly be better than nothing - at least your up and moving around. It's just not very intense.

I agree that you might be better served to try some of the free videos on YouTube. Some of the Jillian Michaels ones are on there, in entirety. Maybe try 30 Day Shred?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I definitely use mine all the time. It's not going to be the world's best workout, and it's not as good as going to the gym. But it's got a few good options, and works for me as I'm in the same boat (7 month old at home and can't get to the gym). I've been doing it every day when my daughter wakes at 5:00 a.m. while she crawls around at my feet or is in her jumperoo and have lost about 10 lbs. so far. Like the PP, I also really like Just Dance to shake things up and for more fun.

Recently I've started to switch it up with some circuit training (downloaded a free app on my iphone that generates a circuit training that requires no equipment so I can just do it in the house with DD crawling around at my feet).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Wii fit is okay. I liked how it kept track of weight ect, but out of wii games I preferred EA Sports Active 2.0. Anymore it's hard to find since its a few years old, but the game came with a resistance band, a leg band (to monitor leg movement), and an arm band (to monitor HR). It's what I used to lose weight right after my son was born last year.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I use Wii Fit daily and enjoy it but you really have to push to get much out of it, in my opinion. I second the suggestion to try to find EA Sports Active 2. I lost almost 40 lbs using just that prior to getting pregnant.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use a wii fit plus daily, mainly for the balance games, yoga and step. I enjoy playing wii sports with my son, although I gave myself a shoulder injury playing tennis, which took ages to recover. I also use an exercise bike and dumbbells too.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's lots of "games" for Wii that are great for fitness but Fit doesn't happen to be one of them. EA Sports Active or Gold's Gym Cardio are far better choices.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had one but never really used it. There's loads of other things taht are better and cheaper.

1) If you're feeling brave the 30 Day Shred gets AMAZING results. It's a DVD and all you need are a couple of dumbbells, some trainers and of course a good sports bra! If you look around on the boards you can find loads of awesome pics of people's success (sometimes called 30DS) - but it is pretty intense.

2) I'm a BIG fan of mini trampolines - you can jog on them or just jump and they give you a pretty good workout. About £25 from amazon or argos.

3) Skipping! Skipping is one o fthe best things that you can do if you don't live in a flat! Really good workout. I usually do 10 minutes, but try and do it twice a day. Really works.

4) Get a pedometer and you could go out walking? Obviously depends on the kids, but I really like mine. I wear it everyday and always try to do at least 5000 steps plus my usual exercise.

But if you decide you do really want to try the wii fit, make a trip to south London and you can borrow mine as it's juts collecting dust!

xx
  • donnareadman7
    donnareadman7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had one but never really used it. There's loads of other things taht are better and cheaper.

1) If you're feeling brave the 30 Day Shred gets AMAZING results. It's a DVD and all you need are a couple of dumbbells, some trainers and of course a good sports bra! If you look around on the boards you can find loads of awesome pics of people's success (sometimes called 30DS) - but it is pretty intense.

2) I'm a BIG fan of mini trampolines - you can jog on them or just jump and they give you a pretty good workout. About £25 from amazon or argos.

3) Skipping! Skipping is one o fthe best things that you can do if you don't live in a flat! Really good workout. I usually do 10 minutes, but try and do it twice a day. Really works.

4) Get a pedometer and you could go out walking? Obviously depends on the kids, but I really like mine. I wear it everyday and always try to do at least 5000 steps plus my usual exercise.

But if you decide you do really want to try the wii fit, make a trip to south London and you can borrow mine as it's juts collecting dust!

xx

All exercise is good it depends on the persons abilities.... say a person with had knee or ankle problems wouldn't find the shred good as it hurts so the wii fir is perfect as is doesn't hurt any joints at all. I tried to do tae bo yesterday and couldn't do it with having had joints. It all dpends on the person really. Don't get me wromg all the HI workouts are great
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    There's lots of "games" for Wii that are great for fitness but Fit doesn't happen to be one of them. EA Sports Active or Gold's Gym Cardio are far better choices.

I agree. We bought the Wii and Wii Fit a few years ago and after a short time the Fit started gathering dust. It was nice that it helped to get us off our butts and start exercising but you soon realize that the Fit isn't really necessary. We used EA Sports Active v1, then EASA More Workouts, then EASA v2. Version 2 was the best and it was pretty challenging to go through their 6-week program at high intensity. You can do all the workouts without the Fit.
  • finnvalley
    finnvalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying using my wii to help get in shape. I don't really use wii fit, but I've got My Fitness Coach Cardio (the uk/Ireland version of Gold's Gym) and the 4 main Just Dance titles - it's not going to replace gym equipment, but don't let anyone tell you it doesn't raise your heart rate! After a good session with Just Dance, I look like a short, sweaty beetroot! I'm very much stay-at-home but combined with walking, general housework, dumbbells and the exercise bike, it's really made a difference to me.
    Look on eBay for a second hand wii and balance board, there's a few good value listings out there.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    do the boxing for about 30 mins ...between hitting and dodgin,g its a gret upper body work out I am sweating when its over.. not to mention its not boring like most excersise
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The Fit part is not accurate.

Wii Fun would be ok.

It's not a serious exercise tool but it is good for fun with the kids, and a good weight recording thing.

Sit ups and push ups jogging on the spot all better than the Wii in terms of exercise.

I think you can get them second hand for £40 or so now, so it's not a huge investment for a bit of family fun.

The dance games are IMO better exercise. But you can get that from the DVD's already suggested for less money.
  • jaforgie
    jaforgie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a wii fit and use it with a Jillian micheals workout game. It does circuit training, so it's a great all over workout. I have lost 40 lbs and toned up a ton with it. I wouldn't say it's the best workout in the world, but considering my very low fitness level before, it has done great things for me.

Good luck on your journey!
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used it in the beginning of my weight loss journey. I haven't played it since before I started the 30 Day Shred which is a month and a half ago. It definitely adds variety. You might not get fantastic results, but it is exercise that is out of the norm of your daily routine. Any type or amount of exercise is good. I enjoyed it. I would do the free runs on my treadmill. If you do get it, make sure you get the Wii Fit Plus (not the Wii Fit)... The plus actually tells you how many calories you burn (and from researching the accuracy of the calories burned on the Wii Fit Plus vs an HRM, the Wii Fit Plus gives a lower number than the HRM which means you won't miss calculate... it definitely knows due to the balance board if you are putting forth the effort). The plus version also has more "games" or "workout" so that it takes you longer to get board. One of my favorites that is on the Plus that is not on the original is the bicycle ride. There is also a free website online that has different workout routines that you can follow based upon what you are looking for in your workout. ( this is the website: http://www.wiifitroutine.com/) I understand having young kids at home. I have two young boys (3 yrs and 21 months). It's difficult to fit in a good workout with young ones around.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I used the wii fit before i got pregnant with my daughter and dropped a solid 30 lbs*. That was with eating healthy too, but i did it everyday for atleast an hour. Theres a section in it where you can pick the areas you want to focus on more specifically, and it puts together a randomized routine for you so you're not doing the same thing everyday and you can choose to make it a longer or shorter work out. I wish I remembered what menu it was under.

i miss it for the yoga mostly.

*It took me like 3-4 months to drop the 30 lbs.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I want one or kinect but don't want to part with the money so I do youtube on TV. Tons of free exercise videos on youtube, just that the game part seems so cool!

Anything that gets you motivated and moving works.
  • foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'd say that if you wanted a video game system for working out, I'd get an XBox Kinect. We have a Wii and an Xbox and I prefer NOT to use the Wii. You don't really get a workout from the Wii Fit games and I prefer to use my digital scale over the one from the game. To change up my regular workout, I like to do the Xbox Kinect Your Shape. You can get a decent workout through it without having to strap remotes to your body (the Kinect seems to pick up movement fairly well.) I still don't use it as much as I do other forms of exercise, but that's just me.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    i love my Wii Fit and I recently bought Wii Zumba I think it is worth the money
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii Fit and it just collects dust. It is nice for yoga or building your own routine of strength or yoga exercises (from the ones they have available on the Fit) and that's where I got the most use from it. I now do the youtube free version of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (I bought the DVD and can't wait for it to get here because the youtube video keeps "pausing" to load mid workout) and bodyrocktv ( I run both through my wii so they are on my TV).