Weekends are tough!

Options
Unlike at work, at home there is food available EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME! I'm a grazer and I have to feed a hungry teen. Any ideas on how to stay focused on my goal, besides exercise. I'm doing that already and it doesn't last all day.

Replies

• orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with munching on weekends too. I wish I knew how to fight it better. The only thing I know is to exercise to offset the damage. I try to stay busy. It will be better when the weather is better and I am out of the house.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have got myself into a routine...after 2 years of doing this, I eat pretty much the same things every day and just stick to my schedule...there will be times you will over do on weekends, but allow for it and if you must, exercise just a little more to make room for the extra calories. Worked for me for 2 years and I have kept off my weight for almost a year. Good luck!
  • gotpita
    gotpita Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm over my calories usually every weekend also.. Since I have more time I usually workout longer to help off set it a little .. You can also keep healthy snacks around and make sure you eat something satisfying every few hours .. It will help you not crave the bad stuff!
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this today actually. I am going to really make sure to preplan my meals and "lifestyle calories." I'm in a band with a bunch of guys and we all sit around with beer and pizza on Saturday nights. I am going to give myself 2 days to "go out." I don't want to blow through my calories, but I do want to fit in that extra slice of pizza or sam adams :-) I totally relate to what you're going through, though in a very different way!

Try to plan and then see where your weak spots are. I don't know if that will work, but hopefully it will help me be more consistent...
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Your hungry teen can be eating healthy foods too. Keep the junk out of the house. Keep high calorie things like nuts hidden away in the freezer or a high cabinet where you have to make an effort to get to it (this helps me anyway) and keep fruits in a bowl on the counter for something quick and easy to grab when you feel like grazing. Better yet, when you feel like grazing, take a walk or do something fun with your teen. Get in the habit of drinking a glass of water when you want to graze too. While you're drinking it, listen to your body and ask yourself, "am I really hungry, or am I bored?" Feed the problem - you can't satisfy boredom with food!
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wrote a article yesterday and had some tips that i implemented in there. I know how it is, weekends are very tough, even though i love the rest, the idle time is when the cravings get the best of me. so if you have time check out the article i wrote.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/956605-repost-3-months-34-pounds-later-pics
  • jclimey
    jclimey Posts: 14
    Options
    I also usually go over on weekends (like to have some wine). I don't worry about it, just try not to go crazy. This is a way of life, not a diet, and we can only do what works for us as individuals or we will "go off the wagon" and be where we were in the beginning. Enjoy your weekends, I'm sure you are eating healthier now and will not want all that junk in your body, just pig (actually piglet) out on good stuff. Good luck.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Your hungry teen can be eating healthy foods too. Keep the junk out of the house. Keep high calorie things like nuts hidden away in the freezer or a high cabinet where you have to make an effort to get to it (this helps me anyway) and keep fruits in a bowl on the counter for something quick and easy to grab when you feel like grazing. Better yet, when you feel like grazing, take a walk or do something fun with your teen. Get in the habit of drinking a glass of water when you want to graze too. While you're drinking it, listen to your body and ask yourself, "am I really hungry, or am I bored?" Feed the problem - you can't satisfy boredom with food!

:drinker: Great advice!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Weekends *are* tough. This won't work for everyone, obviously, but I just went with it. During the week I make sure to keep my net calories fairly low, and then I can splurge a bit on the weekends. When I used to log my calories I kept track of it all on a spreadsheet... My daily intake, any calories burned through exercise, and my net calories and then had a weekly goal instead of daily. I found that I could hit my weekly goal much easier than keeping myself to a strict daily goal.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Keep healthy graze options for yourself to munch on in the house. Exert more control, plan your meals and snacks even on weekends, and if you must eat crap then PORTION
    I had this problem too but not anymore because I did all of the above lol =D

You will notice once you cut the junk after a while it won't even look appetizing
  • PaulaDehPanda
    Options
    I totally agree. I have way more control over what I eat at school.
  • Angeleyes_simone
    Options
    Yes weekends always seem to be my downfall. I think that it is OK to splurge a little bit as long as you get right back on track. We are only human lol. Just try to drink some water before you pick up the fork, spoon, or whatever so you wont overdo it to much.
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unlike at work, at home there is food available EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME! I'm a grazer and I have to feed a hungry teen. Any ideas on how to stay focused on my goal, besides exercise. I'm doing that already and it doesn't last all day.

Errrgh, tell me about it. I'm trying to work as much as I can to avoid going home. :laugh:
    It's my day off today so I'm definitely going to put some plyometric workouts into play just to work harder today with working out. Yesterday was a fiesta in the lunch room at work and they were serving my favorite food... TACOS! I only had 1 because I did not want to disappoint my boyfriend who has been slaving over the stove yesterday to cook the family a nice meal (spaghetti). :sad:

Following the basic recipe he goes by, I notice that there's a lot of sugar and fat in it... So I'm definitely red flagging it. :grumble:

Try portioning your foods if you want to cut back on how much you eat. I portion mine in containers (except for last night's omnomnoming ---- I stole a couple extra table spoons of sauce since it's that good). :ohwell: Lots of water always helps, and snacking on "super foods" too. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-super-foods :glasses:
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I'm totally going to try that today. :bigsmile:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. I work from a home office every day!
  • Unlike at work, at home there is food available EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME! I'm a grazer and I have to feed a hungry teen. Any ideas on how to stay focused on my goal, besides exercise. I'm doing that already and it doesn't last all day.

I know that you said "besides exercise" but how about doing fun activities that allow you to be active and have fun at the same time? Playing a sport with a friend, dancing in your bedroom (LOL), skating, ect. Or even doing things that aren't active that allow you to be out of the house and away from the food!
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Weekends *are* tough. This won't work for everyone, obviously, but I just went with it. During the week I make sure to keep my net calories fairly low, and then I can splurge a bit on the weekends. When I used to log my calories I kept track of it all on a spreadsheet... My daily intake, any calories burned through exercise, and my net calories and then had a weekly goal instead of daily. I found that I could hit my weekly goal much easier than keeping myself to a strict daily goal.

This is exactly how I manage weekends, and it works very well for me. There is an excel spread sheet on this site that keeps a rolling total for the week for you. The link for it is in this thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0?hl=road+map&page=14#posts-14331640
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options

This is exactly how I manage weekends, and it works very well for me. There is an excel spread sheet on this site that keeps a rolling total for the week for you. The link for it is in this thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0?hl=road+map&page=14#posts-14331640

I agree with this. I cut my Mon through Fri calories down a bit so I can have more fun on the weekends.