Couch To 5K ??

Options
Any C25K'ers out there? You know, the kind that (like me) can't run unless there's a clown chasing them with a knife and there are margaritas at the finish line??

My best friend and I just finished week one (yes... *one*) and I'm nervous about the longer periods of running coming up a few weeks in - but I really want to overcome my weakness in this area.

Replies

• Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you can end each week accomplishing the program, move on! You're ready. For what its worth, I repeated week 4 when I was doing it. You'll do fine!

My suggestion..... Other than wearing the right shoes and buying a good sports bra, slow down! Speed will come with time. It doesn't matter how slow you are.....if youre propelling forward, you're still jogging!

After more than two years I'm still running. I love it. Stick with it, you will too!
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi RacingLiberty, I did the C25K programme last year. Before I started I was exactly the same as you, I hated running and was determined that I was not a runner! However, after successfully doing the programme and completing a few ParkRuns too, I was hooked, signed up to do a 10k and did the bridge programme and now I run all the time. I have just completed my longest run to date this morning of 13 miles (or a half marathon). I never, ever thought I would be saying that at this time last year and the C25K programme is all to thank for it so I am a big endorser of it! Feel free to add me and hopefully I can give you encouragement along the way :)
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    I am on day 3 of week 3. I am more than 100lbs overweight so definitely not a runner. I jog at a snails pace, but I get it done. I was panicked when I went to week 3. I didn't know how I was going to move onto 3 minutes of jogging from 90 seconds the week before. It sucked but I did it. And the 90 second runs that were so tough the week before were easy this time. Good luck.
  • annab1684
    annab1684 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
    I finish tomorrow, 10 weeks after starting. I had one week where I couldn't run at all because of snow but I also repeated various runs - one of the first ones with 5 minute intervals, the 20 minute one about 3 times and then the 2 x 10 minute one about 3 times before I attempted 25 minutes. As in, I've done the programme in 9 weeks, but I often went every other day and sometimes more so that's how come I've almost finished it including repeating runs in that time.

I echo what has been said about shoes, sports bra and slowing down. I was getting really fed up at one point and I thought I could never do it, but then I slowed down (week 6 I think) and all became clear! Looking forward to working on the distance I can run (i.e. speed) in 30 minutes for a couple of weeks before starting the 5k-10k programme :)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm mid way through week 3, I did w3d2 last night without stopping once (yay me!!). I'm a big girl with at least 70 more pounds to lose so its not easy but I'm doing it.

I totally agree with what others are saying, good shoes, good bra & slow down!!! thats the biggest one. I started out trying to full out run, I mean run like a clown is chasing me run, but I was so out of breath by the end of 30 seconds I would have to stop, heave up a lung or two and then start again. no fun... mind you I wasn't fast by all accounts but it was fast for me. I was walking at 3mph & running at about 5mph. On week 3 I've learned to slow it down & concentrate on my breathing & my running form. Last night I my speeds were walking at 2.5-3 mph & running at just under 4mph. I may run like a herd of turtles going through peanut butter but I'm running!

Good luck to you! add me if you like.