Anyone doing Live Below The Line?

Options
Mutant13
Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
I decided to sign up for LBTL this year, is anyone else doing it?

For those who don't know, LBL is a challenge carried out in May where participants feed themselves for $2 a day to raise awareness and donations for various charities.

I thought it might be nice to have a thread where people can share ideas, experiences etc. lets try not to make it a place to advertise for donations.

I'm looking forward to it. A little worried about my protein and veggie intake though

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I'm trying living below the fold.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good luck - it's a great idea. But I don't know how I'd hit my protein target either.
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great idea but to stay to healthy eating very difficult hmmm
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this before. A few ideas: Buying large bags of beans and bags of rice is cheaper than buying canned beans or the small packs of rice. Beans are high in protein and the rice is your carb. You will want to mix it up with another option instead of eating it for breakfast lunch and dinner. Before a mission trip I did rice and beans for lunch and dinner for a week or two. I would budget out the amount you are attempting and buy everything at one time. With current cost I think you should concede to go over budget. Thanks for bringing awareness to the folks that must live off a dollar or two a day around the world.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm not that far from it. My weekly average is about 7-10 a day. 2 dollars would be TOUGH.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think this would take a lot of planning, to be able to do it and still get the nutrients you need. Good luck to you - I bet it will be a very interesting challenge!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I had a friend at uni who lived off £10 a week. At 6ft5, gunna have to say, I'm out.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables will be your friend! You can get plenty of vegetables that way. Fruit too. Frozen fruit can be thawed and eaten as is. It's not as tasty as fresh, but still has all of the benefits. You can also blend it into a smoothie!

I personally am not participating in the challenge, but I think it's totally possible if you plan your meals well. Another suggestion is to buy things in bulk. Even though I am not on a strict budget, I try to plan meals for the week with like ingredients but different flavors. You can make chicken with vegetables 5 different ways with different spices.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    Tom Hiddleson did it I think and He ate beans and apples. I think that you won't get the nutrients you need and that's the point. People living off so little rarely get the nutrients they need. Check out his twitter if you need meal ideas :]
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    2 dollers. Is that per serving or as a total meal? If you mean serving, my house hold does this daily. If you mean meal, forget it. I can't feed 5 people on 2 dollars for a meal.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How does pretending to be poor help the poor?

Answer, it does not. Sure, it helps assuage your guilt but awareness without action is worthless. Instead give money, time or your political voice.

Second, it's unhealthy to live in 2$ a day for food - this is just a great excuse to develop ED habits.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

Answer, it does not. Sure, it helps assuage your guilt but awareness without action is worthless. Instead give money, time or your political voice.

Second, it's unhealthy to live in 2$ a day for food - this is just a great excuse to develop ED habits.
    It's not a very long time. Heck, I could go five days on no money. You won't starve to death in five days. It appears to be a fundraiser so from that perspective, it's not all that different from funding a Walk-A-Thon or other charitable endeavor.

lblr.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

It's not a very long time. Heck, I could go five days on no money. You won't starve to death in five days. It appears to be a fundraiser so from that perspective, it's not all that different from funding a Walk-A-Thon or other charitable endeavor.
    I'm going to go and look at that site. Best of luck on those participating, I hope it helps. Truly. I just think there are better ways to help people than not eating.

But really, good luck, and success to your efforts. :flowerforyou:
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    2 dollers. Is that per serving or as a total meal? If you mean serving, my house hold does this daily. If you mean meal, forget it. I can't feed 5 people on 2 dollars for a meal.

This is per DAY
  • Mutant13
    Options

I understand your position but for me it is about empathy. Experience something close to what a *kitten* ton of people around the world do for a short while allows me to better empathise with them. It also raises awareness. As to how it helps then directly, participating allows you to gather sponsors to raise donations. I will also be donating what I would have spent on food to Amnesty.

I don't see how it would be an excuse to develop an ED though? I wouldn't be eating calorically less food. In fact the meals I would have to eat due to the budget are more likely going to be very 'stodgy' lots of starchy carbs etc. could you explain this further?
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the advice also.

I'm thinking its going to be beans, rice and maybe some tuna and frozen veg, some eggs. That should be doable for a week.

I'm also trying to talk my s/o into participating which will give us a food budget of $20 for the week. I think that will definetly make it simpler
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I understand your position but for me it is about empathy. Experience something close to what a *kitten* ton of people around the world do for a short while allows me to better empathise with them. It also raises awareness. As to how it helps then directly, participating allows you to gather sponsors to raise donations. I will also be donating what I would have spent on food to Amnesty.

I don't see how it would be an excuse to develop an ED though? I wouldn't be eating calorically less food. In fact the meals I would have to eat due to the budget are more likely going to be very 'stodgy' lots of starchy carbs etc. could you explain this further?

Sure. At 2$ a day one is less likely to eat a) a calorie equivalent level b) a macronutrient sufficiency in terms of protein c) a micronutrient diverse meals. All deficiencies which can, but do not necessarily, represent ED type eating.

Please ignore my reserves - you have good answers, well thought out participation and my position is based on some of the frustration I have at addressing the root causes of hunger and poverty. I wish you the best.
  • Mutant13
    Options

Sure. At 2$ a day one is less likely to eat a) a calorie equivalent level b) a macronutrient sufficiency in terms of protein c) a micronutrient diverse meals. All deficiencies which can, but do not necessarily, represent ED type eating.

Please ignore my reserves - you have good answers, well thought out participation and my position is based on some of the frustration I have at addressing the root causes of hunger and poverty. I wish you the best.

Thankyou. I understand what you are trying to say and appreciate your input
  • Einahhh
    Einahhh Posts: 139
    Options

It's a fundraiser, so giving money is the general idea.
    It also allows participants to stand in their shoes, and perhaps become more passionate about it and continue on to donate more time and money.