Why are people so overweight, unhealthy and ill?

Options
I hope everyone takes the time to read this topic.

First thing is first, your body needs water! A human body is said to usually require sixty to seventy percent of water. It is said that babies bodies may need up to seventy five percent of water. Where as some adult bodies may need fifty seven to sixty percent water. I realize that a lot of food now does have hormones, antibiotics, pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Not everyone will care about that and will eat the toxic foods regardless. It's a choice. It's your life. I am in no way convincing you to go all natural. I'm simply giving you facts. We need to take charge of our lives and we can do that by simply having control of our health. Proper nutrition is very important! You want to make sure that your body has everything it needs in order to be fully functioning and healthy. Nutrition doesn't only affect your weight but it affects your mind, skin, nails, hair, ect. Carbohydrates, calories, proteins, fiber, and many more are all essential parts of nutrition. Nutrients maintain the organs and the bones, it provides you with plenty of energy and fuel. It also repairs your cells and the tissues in your body. Nutrients also gives you body heat. Protein protect our bodies from diseases and all of the disgusting infections. They have vitamins and minerals. Protein is important for the repair of our muscles, cells and tissues. They also are important for the growth of them as well. Now for Carbohydrates. I know that most us love them but when losing weight, try to avoid them. But Carbohydrates are important for our bodies. Our bodies need Complex Carbohydrates which simply means that they are high in fiber and very low in fat. It takes the body longer to break Complex Carbohydrates down and it provides longer lasting energy for the body. Of course there is so much more to go over when it comes to the human body, but this is it for this topic for now. Once again I will state that I am not trying to make you go natural or tell you what to put in your kitchen or better yet your mouth. I'm not even telling you to drink your water. As I said before, I am simply giving facts and trying to help the Myfitnesspal community. Many of you may already know these facts but some of you are unaware of what you are putting in your body and what your body needs. I hope you all enjoyed this post! Comment your feedback positive or negative! Feel free to add to this topic healthful tips and opinions!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    While food and water is important, if we're speaking of health then there's so much more to it than just food. Weight, exercise, rest, stress, environmental, risk behavior (IE smoking), genetics, disease, and mentality ALL are included as part of a healthy life. You could have a perfect diet and suffer from one of the others and still be unhealthy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • While food and water is important, if we're speaking of health then there's so much more to it than just food. Weight, exercise, rest, stress, environmental, risk behavior (IE smoking), genetics, disease, and mentality ALL are included as part of a healthy life. You could have a perfect diet and suffer from one of the others and still be unhealthy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That is very true! Thank you for including this! :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    A bit judgemental dont you think.
  • make_it_so
    make_it_so Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We live in a food toxic environment. It's easier than ever to gain weight these days!
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Use of paragraphs would greatly improve readability of this post. People don't like to wade through solid blocks of text.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for introducing yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I agree with everthing you said, of course the one long paragraph was hard on my eyes. Thank you for a positive post it reminded me to drink my water been up 2 hours and no water. :flowerforyou:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The truth is that most of us career 'overweight, unhealthy and ill' know enough about food, calories, nutrition and exercise to probably earn a PhD. We didn't get/stay fat because we lack that knowledge, the reasons we are/stay fat are many and varied. The key to unlock the secret to getting healthy is to face up to--and overcome--the reasons we use food as our drug of choice to swallow our fears and fill an emptiness inside. Once we find the courage to overcome the fear, then the mechanics of diet and exercise will easily remove the weight.
  • kimbelder
    kimbelder Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great reminders! Thank for posting!
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The truth is that most of us career 'overweight, unhealthy and ill' know enough about food, calories, nutrition and exercise to probably earn a PhD. We didn't get/stay fat because we lack that knowledge, the reasons we are/stay fat are many and varied. The key to unlock the secret to getting healthy is to face up to--and overcome--the reasons we use food as our drug of choice to swallow our fears and fill an emptiness inside. Once we find the courage to overcome the fear, then the mechanics of diet and exercise will easily remove the weight.

I couldn't have said it better.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, babies aren't supposed to have water by itself until solids are introduced.
    But, I get the idea, I am always drinking water, but I've always been that way even at my highest weight.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    OP doesn't want to tell us what to put in our mouths, then proceeds to do just that.
    andersoncooper_zps8f40d1d0.gif
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly. Want more information about the answer to your question? Watch "Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat". It's available instantly on Netflix if you've got it.

And because unfortunately unhealthy foods have the benefit of that magic fat/sugar/salt combination that whole or limited processed foods don't. Billions of dollars go into researching those combinations. If you're interested in that, read "The End of Overeating" by former FDA Commissioner David Kessler. Even places that are more "sit down" rather than fast food like Applebee's and TGI Fridays don't necessarily look at their food in the same perspective as you do if you cook at home. They look at their foods in terms of fat/sugar and salt and how they can get you to eat and drink more of it by manipulating those ratios.

Lots to learn out there. But I hope that helps answer your question .
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Interesting info, many valid points. The title was a bit misleading, though … I didn't really see this as a report on why people are overweight, etc. It was more like the abstract (overview/summary) on general, broad nutrition. And yes, breaking it into paragraphs would increase the readability. (But hey, at least you have it in well-formed sentences and you use punctuation! I'm not being sarcastic, either … there have been many posts in all caps with no punctuation, like one big run on sentence)

I agree with the above poster. Most people already know WHY they're overweight (they eat too much, don't move enough!). It's a matter of developing the good habits, though, which is a lot easier said than done. :wink: We do need the reminders once in a while, of course.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, babies aren't supposed to have water by itself until solids are introduced.
    But, I get the idea, I am always drinking water, but I've always been that way even at my highest weight.

Very true! They get all their needed hydration from breastmilk or formula.

Makes me wonder why some people say we can ONLY count water for our liquid tracking. (FWIW, I don't count milk or juice or soda , anyway)

Oops, off topic … We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread :wink:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements."
    - Peter Gibbons

Hint: it isn't only food, it is inactivity. My grandparents and great-parents never sat down until around bedtime and to eat.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    While food and water is important, if we're speaking of health then there's so much more to it than just food. Weight, exercise, rest, stress, environmental, risk behavior (IE smoking), genetics, disease, and mentality ALL are included as part of a healthy life. You could have a perfect diet and suffer from one of the others and still be unhealthy.

^This. Take a look at this youtube article on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgnbRK8pij8
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    May I suggest paragraphs on your next post :flowerforyou:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    one word...paragraphs :huh: