Why are people so overweight, unhealthy and ill?

Options

Replies

• Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Good post... Lots of great information ... For the most part there a lot of depression and if people understood these facts which you posted their bodies would not have the issues... Weight would not be an issue.. But, most people are too lazy to get up and do something about it...that's why I love this place it reminds me to do better..
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    good post OP.

funny how people react when faced with things they don't want to hear. lol chill out.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Something I have noticed in my family is that the people with the most labor-intensive jobs lived the longest, regardless of diet.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly.

Uh, no. I bought a whole chicken and a bag of organic carrots for less than $6. That could feed a family of 4 for dinner, maybe some left overs, and then you can make soup with the rest. It's false to say eating junk is cheaper. That same $6 isn't even one meal at McD's. I really wish people would get off this band wagon that healthful food costs more. It's a myth. Learn to cook. It's cheap. It's like this dark secret that only a few people know about. Everyone else thinks food is expensive. A few of us stand around scratching our heads not understanding what you are talking about.

the poster you quoted is correct in that government subsidies make unhealthy foods cheaper and that fast food has more bang for your buck calorically speaking. Split that chicken and carrots up among 4 people, and it's probably 300 calories or less per person. for a buck at McD's you can get more than 300 calories.

I agree that eating well is not as expensive as people think, but in calories per dollar, fast food has the higher ratio.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The truth is that most of us career 'overweight, unhealthy and ill' know enough about food, calories, nutrition and exercise to probably earn a PhD. We didn't get/stay fat because we lack that knowledge, the reasons we are/stay fat are many and varied. The key to unlock the secret to getting healthy is to face up to--and overcome--the reasons we use food as our drug of choice to swallow our fears and fill an emptiness inside. Once we find the courage to overcome the fear, then the mechanics of diet and exercise will easily remove the weight.

Well said! It's called comfort eating for a reason!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly.

Uh, no. I bought a whole chicken and a bag of organic carrots for less than $6. That could feed a family of 4 for dinner, maybe some left overs, and then you can make soup with the rest. It's false to say eating junk is cheaper. That same $6 isn't even one meal at McD's. I really wish people would get off this band wagon that healthful food costs more. It's a myth. Learn to cook. It's cheap. It's like this dark secret that only a few people know about. Everyone else thinks food is expensive. A few of us stand around scratching our heads not understanding what you are talking about.

I completely agree :drinker:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly. Want more information about the answer to your question? Watch "Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat". It's available instantly on Netflix if you've got it.

And because unfortunately unhealthy foods have the benefit of that magic fat/sugar/salt combination that whole or limited processed foods don't. Billions of dollars go into researching those combinations. If you're interested in that, read "The End of Overeating" by former FDA Commissioner David Kessler. Even places that are more "sit down" rather than fast food like Applebee's and TGI Fridays don't necessarily look at their food in the same perspective as you do if you cook at home. They look at their foods in terms of fat/sugar and salt and how they can get you to eat and drink more of it by manipulating those ratios.

I learned this to my chagrin the other day when I went out to lunch with friends to East Side Mario's and ordered the scallop/shrimp salad, thinking it would be the save choice. Would you believe that it had 13 grams of sugar (when it should have had none) and 1,800 mg. of sodium---almost a whole day's supply!
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I am a dietitian and I run into this excuse ALL of the time. So, I did a 7 day menu and went to our local Publix to price out my grocery list as a project for a presentation. My 7 day menu had 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 snacks, and 7 dinners. That's 21 meals with 7 snacks - WITH lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and foods high in calcium (milk, yogurt, cheese). The cost came out to $2.34 per serving. That's right. $2.34 per serving. To be clear, I did not include the cost of staples such as oil or flour because most people don't have to buy those weekly. Good luck getting a full meal at McDonalds, or anywhere for that matter, for $2.34.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    good post OP.

funny how people react when faced with things they don't want to hear. lol chill out.

The op asked for feedback positive and negative, no one needs to chill out. Its called a discussion. :noway:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly. Want more information about the answer to your question? Watch "Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat". It's available instantly on Netflix if you've got it.

And because unfortunately unhealthy foods have the benefit of that magic fat/sugar/salt combination that whole or limited processed foods don't. Billions of dollars go into researching those combinations. If you're interested in that, read "The End of Overeating" by former FDA Commissioner David Kessler. Even places that are more "sit down" rather than fast food like Applebee's and TGI Fridays don't necessarily look at their food in the same perspective as you do if you cook at home. They look at their foods in terms of fat/sugar and salt and how they can get you to eat and drink more of it by manipulating those ratios.

I learned this to my chagrin the other day when I went out to lunch with friends to East Side Mario's and ordered the scallop/shrimp salad, thinking it would be the save choice. Would you believe that it had 13 grams of sugar (when it should have had none) and 1,800 mg. of sodium---almost a whole day's supply!

OMGEEZ...I would have walked out or thrown the dish at the waiter.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I am a dietitian and I run into this excuse ALL of the time. So, I did a 7 day menu and went to our local Publix to price out my grocery list as a project for a presentation. My 7 day menu had 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 snacks, and 7 dinners. That's 21 meals with 7 snacks - WITH lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and foods high in calcium (milk, yogurt, cheese). The cost came out to $2.34 per serving. That's right. $2.34 per serving. To be clear, I did not include the cost of staples such as oil or flour because most people don't have to buy those weekly. Good luck getting a full meal at McDonalds, or anywhere for that matter, for $2.34.

you can get two mcdoubles from the dollar menu for under $2.34 and it's 800 calories.

were each of your $2.34 servings over 800 calories?
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options

While I don't disagree that eating healthy can be cheaper than many people think it is, I think the emphasis of the original post here is that the amount of calories per dollar is being called into question. The McDonalds McDouble dollar-menu burger has 390 calories in it, while the same dollar equivalent of Gala apples (since that is what I am eating at the moment) will give you only around 200 calories. Dollar for dollar, it definitely does seem that you can get a lot more calories with trash food than you can with healthy food.
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    great post :) i wonder why people are so overweight and unhealthy when it's so easy not to be. it's like i used to be overweight but once i got into fitness i was like, WHY DIDN"T I DO THIS SOONER??? was a major wake up call for me :)
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    A bit judgemental dont you think.

I don't think so. It was never stated that what you're doing is wrong, just perhaps that we should all look at our food choices closely to make sure that we're providing our bodies with the nutrients required for optimum health.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

While I don't disagree that eating healthy can be cheaper than many people think it is, I think the emphasis of the original post here is that the amount of calories per dollar is being called into question. The McDonalds McDouble dollar-menu burger has 390 calories in it, while the same dollar equivalent of Gala apples (since that is what I am eating at the moment) will give you only around 200 calories. Dollar for dollar, it definitely does seem that you can get a lot more calories with trash food than you can with healthy food.

Yes, this is true. But for those who are trying to lose weight, isn't the purpose to eat more nutritious foods that are lower in calorie? You can get more volume of healthier foods, at a lower calorie count, for the same or less than fast food, if you do your homework and make healthy choices. How many dollars are spent on sugared sodas, fries, chips, donuts, and other low nutritive foods? When you take those dollars and spend them on lean meats, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats, you come out with a much healthier and lower calorie diet, resulting in less weight and better health.

Fast foods are simply more convenient and satisfy the tastes we have grown accustomed to. My grocery bill has actually gone down over the past 7 months. If you educate yourself on nutrition, learn to cook healthy dishes, and check ads for sales, there is no reason why you can't eat a healthier diet for the same or less money than fast food and junk food. It is just an excuse.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I think part of the reason people are so unhealthy and ill (and even overweight!) is just that there is better medical care and people are living longer. People are getting diseases but not dying of them, so contributing to a living, but "unhealthy", population. People tend to get a little bit fatter as they get older, so an older population is a fatter population. (I'm not saying that's the only reason for overweightness, by any stretch, but it's one contributing factor which fits with the other two things). Maybe people are even getting healthier - it just seems like they aren't.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Yes, this is true. But for those who are trying to lose weight, isn't the purpose to eat more nutritious foods that are lower in calorie? You can get more volume of healthier foods, at a lower calorie count, for the same or less than fast food, if you do your homework and make healthy choices. How many dollars are spent on sugared sodas, fries, chips, donuts, and other low nutritive foods? When you take those dollars and spend them on lean meats, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats, you come out with a much healthier and lower calorie diet, resulting in less weight and better health.

Fast foods are simply more convenient and satisfy the tastes we have grown accustomed to. My grocery bill has actually gone down over the past 7 months. If you educate yourself on nutrition, learn to cook healthy dishes, and check ads for sales, there is no reason why you can't eat a healthier diet for the same or less money than fast food and junk food. It is just an excuse.

You're absolutely correct. In our current world, I think that I can say that most of us are not starving to the point of only caring about the caloric content of our food. Just because a food has a higher calorie count, doesn't necessarily mean that it's all we should be eating. On the contrary, eating a balanced diet with fats, protiens, corbohydrates, sugars, fiber, etc. all give our bodies what we need to operate in peak condition. I especially like your comment on satisfying the tastes we grown accustomed to. Once we loosen our grip on the 'need' to have something that is absolutely explosive with flavor (granted, healthy herbs and seasons can make lean food great too) and quick, we can revert back to the healthy ways of eating.
  • shan0881
    shan0881 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! I believe that most of us know how to be in shape and healthy, it's making the chioce to do it thats difficult. I am a perfect example..been in great shape before several times in my life and well versed on nutrition...but here I am again...trying to apply my knowledge....and stick to it!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OP, you know what you're supposed to be doing and are still 26 pounds overweight. Ask yourself why that is and you'll have one data point.