Low Fat Hummus

Options
Anyone have any ideas how to make a low/no fat hummus?

Replies

• Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Soak dry chickpeas overnight. Drain, rinse, boil in plenty of water for 45-60 minutes, until tender. I like to add some cumin seeds & a couple bay leaves for taste.

For best results when making hummus: lightly cool the chickpeas and remove the skin by pinching it with your forefinger and thumb.

Blend the chickpeas with some garlic, salt & pepper, maybe 1tbsp tahini & some lemon juice. Use the liquid from boiling them to thin the hummus to your taste.

You don't need to add oil to make hummus.
  • itsmwd
    itsmwd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/real-hummus/

This is how I make Hummus. I prefer to use fresh chickpeas, boiled and cooked well after being soaked in water overnight. You can make a paste of sesame seeds if you cant find tahini at your local grocery.
  • staceywhimsy
    Options
    I would suggest not to use salt, since it makes you retain water. Tahini is all the oil you need, it helps with the consistency and taste. Then lemon juice and garlic. I also add other things for different flavored hummus, such as roasted garlic or tomato paste with basil. Experiment, it makes it fun.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    I made some delicious hummus the other day without tahini as I forgot to put in in! It was a can of drained chick peas, lemon juice, garlic and yoghourt (plain) all wizzed up in the processor. I ate the whole lot with a spoon - 300 calories. - yum! I sprinkled a few spices on the top, whatever you like.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Engine 2 Diet's hummus is really good!

1 can Chick peas
    1-2 cloves of Garlic
    2-3 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
    1 tsp Cumin
    1-2 of Tamari (low sodium)
    2-3 Tbsp water or vegetable broth

Serving: 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp)
    Calories: 80-ish
    Fat: 1 gram
    Fiber 3 grams

And you can customize by adding olives, peppers, sesame seeds, spinach & artichoke, etc.

Hope I helped :smile:

(P.S Here is his website --> http://engine2diet.com/recipes/favorites/ )
  • mustangmary11
    mustangmary11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I got this on Food.com It's really good and I love red pepper anything LOL I have made it with out the red pepper as well and added extra garlic and it was still delicious! Serving size is healthy portion, I have had less and so its only been about 100 calories per serving.

Low Fat Red Pepper Hummus

By Analisa on August 26, 2003
    27 Reviews
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Total Time: 10 mins
    Servings: 6

About This Recipe
    "This recipe is inspired by the many hummus recipes I have seen, but had added oil & were lacking the flavor I was seeking. It's classified as Greek for the actual Hummus part, and Indian for the coriander/cumin/cayenne combo, which is common in Indian food, and gives this dip an interesting twist. Tahini is sesame (seed) butter, and the best thing to use for the right flavor, but use peanut butter instead if you have to."
    Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas
    2 tablespoons tahini
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 -3 cloves garlic ( pressed or crushed)
    1/2 cup roasted red pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    fresh ground pepper

Directions
    Drain& rinse chick peas/garbanzos, reserving liquid.
    In small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, cayenne (use less if you don't want it very spicy, but we like it with 1/2 tsp),& salt, mixing throughly.
    Put garbanzo beans/chick peas in bowl of food processor with chopping blade,& sprinkle the spice mixture over the top evenly.
    Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic,& roasted red peppers, and blend until well mixed.
    Add the fresh ground pepper.
    Once the hummus gets smooth, add some of the reserved liquid from the chick peas/garbanzos while it is being processed, until it reaches the desired consistency.
    Serve with toasted pita bread or as a dip or spread with almost anything.
    Have fun with this basic recipe- you can change the amounts or even the actual spices used to change the flavor of this healthy dip.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Calories 124.8

Calories from Fat 30
    24%

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 3.4g
    5%
    Saturated Fat 0.4g
    2%
    Cholesterol 0.0mg
    0%
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Sodium 584.3mg
    24%
    Total Carbohydrate 19.6g
    6%
    Dietary Fiber 4.0g
    16%
    Sugars 0.0 g
    0%
    Protein 4.9g
    9%
  • 133amy181
    133amy181 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks Guys :D I'm going to try them all
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Soak dry chickpeas overnight. Drain, rinse, boil in plenty of water for 45-60 minutes, until tender. I like to add some cumin seeds & a couple bay leaves for taste.

For best results when making hummus: lightly cool the chickpeas and remove the skin by pinching it with your forefinger and thumb.

Blend the chickpeas with some garlic, salt & pepper, maybe 1tbsp tahini & some lemon juice. Use the liquid from boiling them to thin the hummus to your taste.

You don't need to add oil to make hummus.

I so agree, I use edadame and raw chick peas sometimes also
  • igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump, been looking for this also...
  • Jeliasek
    Jeliasek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a good recipe... sit tight I will post it
  • Jeliasek
    Jeliasek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 16 oz can of Garbonzo beans with liquid
    1/4 C. Krinos Tahini
    6 Tblspn Calif. Sun Dried Tomato
    3 Tblspn EVOO
    Add salt, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin to taste.
    Add first three ingredients to food processor and begin to puree.
    add EVOO to drizzle cup and allow to incorporate until mixture is smooth and creamy.
    If needed add water 1 tblspn at a time to "loosen mixture"