How bad to use protein shakes as meal rplcmnts or fill-ins?

Options
Hi..

I recently bought a can of EAS Protein Shake powder..I figured I have alot of fruit and can do smoothies to replace meals to try and boost my weight loss. I am at the point that I know what to do to keep off the weight, but want to hurry up and lose it! I do recall seeing a mention on a label that says not to use as meal rplc. How much harm will it really do to me to do that? i am not talking about a fasting diet where this w/be the only nutrition I consume, but would like to use as an occasional (1, maybe 2x/day (that would prob be meal/snack), then poss another during the day as an added protein supplement. I realize y'all are not professionals, but would like some input/advice, and definitely if you are a pro!

Thanks-

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not designed to be a meal replacement. They are a suppliement to help reach your protein goals.

Using a protein shake or two a day won't make you lose anymore weight than if you were to eat a proper meal containing the same amount of calories.

You can get a lot more nutrients from real food and a protein shake alone won't make you lose weight any quicker than you are now. Maybe have one a day after a workout and than eat normally the rest of they day.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Seconded. Snacks? Definitely in moderation, of course. But try not to use them for replacements. They usually don't have the complete spectrum of nutrients you need to stay healthy. Even the meal replacement shakes, supposedly designed for this are best used as snacks!
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a Protein Shake with an Apple or Banana. Sometimes I also have 1 with Greek Yogurt.
    You can also add 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter it would then actually be a meal replacement.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    The clue is protein shakes are a SUPPLEMENT.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Ehhh... as far as meal replacement goes, I have a protein shake as a breakfast often... very often. It's quick, easy, portable and low carb ( mine is just almond milk, powder and chia - no fruit) and that's all I'm looking for in a breakfast.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ehhh... as far as meal replacement goes, I have a protein shake as a breakfast often... very often. It's quick, easy, portable and low carb ( mine is just almond milk, powder and chia - no fruit) and that's all I'm looking for in a breakfast.

With122 pounds lost, can't argue with the results.
  • Ehhh... as far as meal replacement goes, I have a protein shake as a breakfast often... very often. It's quick, easy, portable and low carb ( mine is just almond milk, powder and chia - no fruit) and that's all I'm looking for in a breakfast.

With122 pounds lost, can't argue with the results.
    [/quote

That's what I'm screamin'! 122# is a little too much for me..I am looking @ around 50-70. I plan to add fruit, or PB or flax meal to up the nutritional..but wld rather use protein powder than Slim Fast or whatever..

Thank you everyone for the advice!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting your micronutrients at other times you are fine. Meal replacement shakes like slimfast and all that just add vitamins and such to round them out. Whey powder generally has nothing but the protein.