TVP Fajitas!

iHEARTcardiacnurses
iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
I recently bought a large supply of Bob's Red Mill Textured Veggie Protein from Amazon. I figured I'd just throw it into soups in place of meat for a cheap and filling meal. Today, in the mood for something spicy, I whipped up this easy TVP recipe that's well...freaking delicious and freaking huge.

What you'll need to accessorize your TVP filling:

Buena Vida (or similar) whole wheat tortillas (4)
Laughing Cow Fresco Chipolte Cheese Wedges (2)
Great Value Peach Chipolte Salsa (4 tablespoons)
and plain Greek yogurt (1/4 c.)

And the filling:

1/2 c. TVP
200 grams red and orange peppers
1c. onions
1 whole jalepeno
4 tbls chili powder + 4 tbls chili powder
2tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

So you're sitting there thinking "Ok, got all that bull. Now what?"

Take the tvp and throw that stuff in a pan with 1 1/4c water, the 4 tbls chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. I just let it get to a boil and then take it off. Set that stuff aside. Toss the onions into a pan that's been sprayed with non-stick coating set on medium-high. Let them brown up a bit and then toss in the peppers and jalepenos, set to medium. It takes about 10 or so minutes of tossing it around until it's all good and warm. By this time, you can just throw the TVP into the pan and mix everything together. It will start to immediately smell like tacos :smooched: mmmmmmmmm

During this time I take a LC Cheese wedge and smear it over two Buena Vida whole wheat tortillas and spread some Fage greek yogurt on there too (tastes just like sour cream). This pan will make 4 servings of TVP Fajitas. Fill the tortilla, top with salsa and BAM! You're done.

Breakdown for two TVP Fajitas:
Calories: 401
Carbs: 52
Fat: 8
Protein: 30
Fiber: 19
Sodium: 890

The sodium is a bit high mostly because of the cheese wedge and tortillas. But 30 grams of protein for a meat-free and mega cheap meal? YES PLEASE.

537770_699395868548_63704555_33031195_103729619_n.jpg
536820_699395653978_63704555_33031194_70977203_n.jpg

Replies

• Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    My God, that looks good! Fantastic job!!:smile:
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Looks great! I will try this with quorn : )
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    gonna have to hunt for the TVP - never tried it but this sounds delish! Thanks for sharing!
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Bump
  • phard53
    phard53 Posts: 40 Member
    Thanks..looks yummy!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    This looks really good and I can see lowering the carb count even more by using lettuce as the wraps instead of the tortillas!
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    I have had TVP in my cupboard forever, thanks for the idea!!
  • Dianalouiselane
    Dianalouiselane Posts: 14 Member
    thanks for the great idea! I just heard about TVP and recently bought it! Can't wait to try this!!
  • Ceilidh_H
    Ceilidh_H Posts: 65 Member
    This sounds great! Saving this recipe for later
  • lmojoallen
    lmojoallen Posts: 17 Member
    THANKS for this sound delicious and I have been looking for TVP options so far I've just added mine to granola and I love the laughing cow chipotle.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Thank you for sharing! Yummy!