Whey vs. Soy

Options
I use a soy protein (Spiru-Soy from Vitamin Shoppe), but it looks like most people on here are using a whey protein. Am I doing something wrong? What are your thoughts on the difference of the two. Or does one taste better than the other? What brand do you use?

Replies

• TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    When I use protein powders, I have to use soy products due to a milk allergy. There have been conflicting studies, though, about the potential to overdo soy because of it's potential effect on hormones. That said, I love the Spiru-Soy vanilla! GNC also has a soy based powder which is ok - you have to really look for it because it tends to be hidden between all the whey products.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I actually use neither. I use a protein powder made with pea protein that is both dairy and soy free. You can try arbonne or sun warrior. I just like it better. If you don't have any sensitivities to soy or dairy, the other powders are fine, too. Just find one that tastes good to you that makes you feel good.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use soy isolate from gnc, it's pretty cheap and quite effective imo. Whey gives me a tummy ache so I love the soy. It's a good way to supplement my diet and it's gmo-free. Soy is a complete protein, like whey. Soy has no effect on my hormones and the "research" on it is sketchy...I mean it's a dead plant...I don't think plant hormones would effect me much...dead ones no less...

Most people here that do soy protein do so because they have an allergy or because whey upsets their stomach.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use soy isolate from gnc, it's pretty cheap and quite effective imo. Whey gives me a tummy ache so I love the soy. It's a good way to supplement my diet and it's gmo-free. Soy is a complete protein, like whey. Soy has no effect on my hormones and the "research" on it is sketchy...I mean it's a dead plant...I don't think plant hormones would effect me much...dead ones no less...

Most people here that do soy protein do so because they have an allergy or because whey upsets their stomach.

I can't comment on soy because I haven't looked at the research, but plant hormones or drugs derived from them can certainly have an effect on humans. Google birth control and yams.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I can't comment on soy because I haven't looked at the research, but plant hormones or drugs derived from them can certainly have an effect on humans. Google birth control and yams.

I eat lots of plants, haven't grown another boob or anything so...just speaking from personal experience...tell me about animal hormones too since you felt the need to point out plant ones.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I actually am the opposite of most - I use whey because soy products upset my stomach. I can't touch on the nutritional benefits of one vs. the other, but I'd say use whatever works best for you!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My problem with soy is that the body can't absorb the nutrients from the plant unless the plant has been fermented. Soy also blocks the absorption of nutrients from other foods that are being digested in the same time frame.

Soy acts similar to estrogen in the body, and estrogen tends to make the ladies store fat instead of burning it.

My last problem is that soy plants grown in America are almost all covered in pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers that have been linked to cancer, as well as being shown to be reproductive and neuro toxins.

Stepping down from soap box now, but that's why I choose whey over soy. :-)

*Edit to add my brand of whey! I go back and forth between Optimum Nutrition, Six Star, or whatever generic brand is on sale.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    My problem with soy is that the body can't absorb the nutrients from the plant unless the plant has been fermented. Soy also blocks the absorption of nutrients from other foods that are being digested in the same time frame.

Soy acts similar to estrogen in the body, and estrogen tends to make the ladies store fat instead of burning it.

My last problem is that soy plants grown in America are almost all covered in pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers that have been linked to cancer, as well as being shown to be reproductive and neuro toxins.

*Edit to add my brand of whey! I go back and forth between Optimum Nutrition, Six Star, or whatever generic brand is on sale.

Really ?....wouldn't soy need to be absorbed to act like estrogen In tye human body? You just said it couldn't be absorbed?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Really ?....wouldn't soy need to be absorbed to act like estrogen In tye human body? You just said it couldn't be absorbed?

I believe most soy products are from fermented soy. I could be wrong.

However, even with the research done with what soy can do to your hormones you would need to consume large amounts of soy for it to make a difference. I consume soy products maybe three times a week. My doctor has said it's fine provided you are not consuming multiple servings of soy everyday.

Animal products contain hormones too.. same hormones fed to the animals. Unless you spend the extra money to get hormone free meats and animal products you are still consuming extra hormones which could play a part in what happens within your body.

In the topic of protein powder, pick whatever you prefer and what works best for you. I have tried both soy and whey and only prefer whey because of the extra protein that it has in it compared to soy (but that may just be due to available soy version brands here and there aren't a lot). I don't, and never really did use any form of protein regularly so I never worried or cared much when I was consuming something made of soy. Also pick one that follows whatever diet you follow. If you are vegetarian or vegan, whey is not an option.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I eat lots of plants, haven't grown another boob or anything so...just speaking from personal experience...tell me about animal hormones too since you felt the need to point out plant ones.

Animal hormones do play a part within our body for sure and the majority of animal products out there contain hormones which were given to the animal. Unless you can afford to spend the extra money on hormone free animal products you will still be getting hormones even if you avoid soy products (and soy seems to be in a lot of things!).

For soy, it does act like hormones within your body and those who have issues with hormones or who may be at a higher risk of female cancers have been warned to limit their consumption of soy products.

So far, the only decent reserach I've read on the subject has included that soy would need to be ingested in larger quantities often for it to do anything to your body (provided you have no hormonal issues and are not senstive to it).
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    OP- If you rely on them for a significant amount of your protein, then I think it's a good idea to rotate your protein powders. There is whey and soy, but there are also pea, hemp, and rice based powders and mixes of all of the above.

The proteins/nutrients in soy are absolutely absorbable without being fermented first.

Soy isn't special. It's just a bean. Nobody makes these outrageous statements about lentils.

I feel sorry for the poor misrepresented soy bean. I blame monsanto.

Isoflavones act similar to estrogen. Soy has isoflavones. So do a whole lot of other plants.

The levels of soy you'd have to consume in order to experience an increase of estrogen in your body is astronomical. As long as your protein powder isn't your main source of nutrition, you shouldn't have a problem.

Estrogen does not stop your body from "burning" fat so long as you eat a deficit.

What do you think the cows who make your milk eat? Unless you're getting grass-fed whey they eat GMO SOYBEANS and corn. They're injected with antibiotics. They're loaded with hormones. Those pesticide residues make it into your milk from the cow's diet (they make it into human milk to, heads up lactating mothers).

If you want to avoid the pesticides and hormones, organic soy powder is a lot cheaper than grass-fed organic whey powder.
  • frommichellewithlove
    frommichellewithlove Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use a soy protein (Spiru-Soy from Vitamin Shoppe), but it looks like most people on here are using a whey protein. Am I doing something wrong? What are your thoughts on the difference of the two. Or does one taste better than the other? What brand do you use?

I worked in a vitamin store/smoothie shop for over 4 years and I can tell you that both are great forms of proteins. You will find that whey protein is a more popular pick simply because it is marketed more. Whey gives a fluffier consistency when blended, as well as a different taste. Plus there is lactose in whey, and not in soy. Many people are sensitive to lactose without even realizing it, (hence why people are saying it upsets their stomach) I personally am a fan of soy, and try to disregard the comments about hormones from it. I've read a lot of things and still am not sure what to believe. Everything nowadays is harmful to you in one shape or form. :noway:
    Protein is protein. If it works for you, then keep on using it.
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    What in the hell do you think the cows who make your milk eat?

Whoa. Your aggression is completely uncalled for. I agree with your statement following this quote, but what gives you the right to be completely rude to someone you have never met?

Sure, you may disagree with some of the things I posted, which is completely fine by me, but there is absolutely no reason for you or anyone else to behave in this manner in a discussion forum.

There will always be debates on this product vs that product, but bringing aggression and unwarranted attacks into the discussion is about the best tactic I can think of to completely circumvent any possible solution.

Of course I know that most cows in America are fed chemically-laden, altered versions of plants that they can't even properly digest.

Are you attempting to imply that I, by simply pointing out my main views instead of basically writing a paper on the issue and citing sources, am somehow inferior or less intelligent than you? Are you trying to make yourself look better by putting others down? I don't get it. This attitude is belittling and unfair, and I think you owe not only myself, but every other person you have most likely done this to, an apology.
  • RunningRichelle
    Options

For example, if you take a massive amount of vitamins at one time, your body won't absorb all of that stuff, you'll end up peeing some of it out.

A similar concept applies to the unfermented soy plant. Our bodies aren't able to break down all of the nutrients from the plant, but some parts do make it to the bloodstream.

Fermentation, a form of pre-digestion, makes those nutrients able to be broken down by our bodies.

I don't think I've seen any protein powders out there made from fermented soy yet.. but if I did I'd be on it like white (or brown, if you prefer) on rice. Haha!
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    I believe most soy products are from fermented soy. I could be wrong.

Fermented soy usually goes by another name, so far I have found there are three types: natto, miso, and my favorite, tempeh.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's really a personal preference thing. The bio-availability of amino acids in soy is not significantly below that of animal sources. There is a slight difference, but not enough to truly affect you when getting adequate protein intake and using it as a supplement to a healthy diet.

Primarily personal preference. Some people are sensitive to whey, some people are sensitive to soy. Some people like the taste of one protein powder, others another. Find what works for you and use it.

But yeah, don't forget the many other forms of protein shakes out there... tons of options anymore.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I actually use neither. I use a protein powder made with pea protein that is both dairy and soy free. You can try arbonne or sun warrior. I just like it better. If you don't have any sensitivities to soy or dairy, the other powders are fine, too. Just find one that tastes good to you that makes you feel good.

I use the Sunwarrior pea, cranberry and hemp protein blend and I love it! :drinker: (I can't have milk protein (casein) so whey is out.)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant but do fine with WPI (whey protein isolate). I avoid soy for the most part--I ate too much of it in the past and suspect it caused me some issues that I'd rather not revisit.
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For me whey is hard to digest, I use hemp and its wonderful.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I get Egg protein powder.