The battle of Junk VS vegetables.

Options
Firstly I should point out (1) I am a binger & (2) I have been on a 'diet' over a year and only gained in the last 6 months.

I seem to have a constant battle with my conscience when it comes to meal times. It's like I hear the 'thin' girl inside my head giving me advice like "don't eat chocolate pudding, eat the apple.. You like apples!" and "have a soup for your starter not garlic mushrooms and garlic bread" then the FAT girl takes over saying "I want it, I shouldn't deny myself.. It's nicer than salad"

I know what to do & how to do it so WHY DOES THE FAT GIRL ALWAYS WIN?

Replies

• Victœria
    Victœria Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What a powerful person I must be to constantly defy myself!
  • mary_torres
    Options
    WHY DOES THE FAT GIRL ALWAYS WIN?
    I wish I knew the answer to that question. If I did, I would have a completely different life. does any one know the answer to that question???
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer to that question. If I did, I would have a completely different life. does any one know the answer to that question???
    I think she's our habit....:grumble: :tongue: We can beat her though and find the balance!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Wait... Fat girl? Thin girl? Do most females have Multiple personality disorder? If so, then it explains so much....

I mean no disrespect, but if you want something... GET IT. Don't deny yourself and Everything in moderation.

Why not eat both, in smaller portions? Veggies normally have small calories, leaving room for heavy Garlic bread pizza.

If you need to start a journal, what you ate, how much, and how did you feel afterwards. [wait, MFP is doing 2/3s the work for you.]
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Firstly I should point out (1) I am a binger & (2) I have been on a 'diet' over a year and only gained in the last 6 months.

I seem to have a constant battle with my conscience when it comes to meal times. It's like I hear the 'thin' girl inside my head giving me advice like "don't eat chocolate pudding, eat the apple.. You like apples!" and "have a soup for your starter not garlic mushrooms and garlic bread" then the FAT girl takes over saying "I want it, I shouldn't deny myself.. It's nicer than salad"

I know what to do & how to do it so WHY DOES THE FAT GIRL ALWAYS WIN?

A friend's husband had cardiac problems and lost 50 pounds. He did it by sticking to a strict diet for 3 days, a moderate diet for 3 days, and he could eat whatever he wanted on the last day. That way he never felt completely deprived.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The image of a battle between "junk" and, say, a carrot, has likely scarred me forever.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Can you allow yourself 1 day a week, or every other week, where you can have moderate amounts of those yummy foods. If you can do that and avoid binging, then on the other days, you can remind yourself on the other days that you get to splurge on X day, and you can wait until then for your treat. Tell yourself it will be even better then, because you've earned it (Yes, I know they say not to use food as a reward. But I say PPPFFFFTTTT! What's wrong with using delayed gratification to help you make the right choice now??) The rest of the days, you get to eat your fruits and veggies.

I actually did this on a daily basis and had great results: if I had room left in my calories at the end of the day, I could have a small amount of ice cream (and I had some really good ice cream for this). Through the day, when I was tempted with chips or cookies (especially those that weren't really all that good) or something, I would stop and think - do I really want this, or would I rather have my yummy ice cream tonight. The ice cream almost always won out. If I didn't have room in my calories, I didn't have ice cream.

Also, maybe spread out your choices of fruits and veggies. Salads can get boring, but there are a LOT of other choices out there - asparagus, squash, cucumber, broccoli and cauliflower (either raw or lightly steamed), sweet bell peppers (the orange are my favorite! but red & yellow are very good too), artichoke (steamed), etc. Variety may keep you interested and loving the good choices. :smile:
  • DannPM31
    DannPM31 Posts: 32
    Options
    You've got to reset your palette. You have to make whole foods taste great again.

Keep pushing WHOLE FOODS (not the store) but stuff like veggies, fruits, beans, and whole grains into your diet. TRY and eat them as often as you eat, even if you "must have" some processed junk, add it to the crap you're killing yourself with. Eventually it'll push out the bad stuff. It works for everyone. You'll start to feel so much better eating a whole foods diet, you won't want to start eating crap again.