Paleo Diet, a good choice for me?

Options
lizzyxo
lizzyxo Posts: 24 Member
hey guys! First of all thank you for previous support everyone has given me. I have been falling off track this month and it has taken a tole on my body. I have lymphedema and fibromyalgia. I believe that losing weight will help both of those. I am trying but I haven't had great results yet and I need to lose the weight. It hurts everywhere to work out but I do it anyways.
Anywaysss
So I have been reading about the paleo diet, and it seems like it would really help me lose the visceral fat and help me slim down. Is that true? I believe that the visceral fat is what has caused my lymphedema, and they say that it is incurable.
Has anyone been on the diet for a long period of time? Is it like a fad diet? Some diets seem almost impossible to stick to (which is why I don't "diet" anymore) Or is it something that is a good lifestyle change that won't make your body go in starvation or anything like that. I am also a vegetarian, but not vegan.
Can I see some before and after pics from the diet and if anyone has had any health problems improved from it?
Thank you!
xoxo

Replies

• bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for two years and it has worked for me; however, it isn't for everyone -- you can always try it out for a month or two and switch to a different approach if you don't like it.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    You might also want to look into the Eat to Live diet. www.drfuhrman.com He has successfully helped people with many types of autoimmune diseases, etc. Here is a link from his website that you can listen to different recorded radio shows. http://www.drfuhrman.com/voiceamerica/nutritional_wisdom.htm This diet really speaks to me and is very filling. I follow it for health reasons and it is also great for losing weight. I feel great on it have more energy than ever before. Hope you find your answers.
  • matisse216
    Options
    I work at a chiropractic clinic, and vegans/vegetarians always have the poorest health when compared to all of our other patients.
    Obviously, I completely understand your lifestyle choices, however I just wanted to let you know.
    I believe animals should be treated with respect, but meat has always been a big part of our diet and is really important when it comes to maintaining good health.

Yes, I have heard a lot of success stories with the paleo diet and I would recommend it for weightloss.
    I have also been on it myself for a few months last year and found it beneficial, however it was not right for me personally.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    hey guys! First of all thank you for previous support everyone has given me. I have been falling off track this month and it has taken a tole on my body. I have lymphedema and fibromyalgia. I believe that losing weight will help both of those. I am trying but I haven't had great results yet and I need to lose the weight. It hurts everywhere to work out but I do it anyways.
    Anywaysss
    So I have been reading about the paleo diet, and it seems like it would really help me lose the visceral fat and help me slim down. Is that true? I believe that the visceral fat is what has caused my lymphedema, and they say that it is incurable.
    Has anyone been on the diet for a long period of time? Is it like a fad diet? Some diets seem almost impossible to stick to (which is why I don't "diet" anymore) Or is it something that is a good lifestyle change that won't make your body go in starvation or anything like that. I am also a vegetarian, but not vegan.
    Can I see some before and after pics from the diet and if anyone has had any health problems improved from it?
    Thank you!
    xoxo

It is quite a drastic diet change if you typically eat a lot of grains and starchy veggies. It is particularly difficult for a vegetarian to pursue this kind of eating plan, as it will be difficult to get enough protein in depending on whose paleo diet you are trying to follow. The strictest of paleo may not permit legumes, soy products, or dairy, so getting in protein without supplementation or meat products would be very difficult. I have been eating primal for the past 3 months (very similar to paleo, but allows for dairy) and it has worked wonderfully for me. I believe the way you choose to eat should be something you can easily maintain and remain on for the rest of your life, it's best not to think of it as temporary. However, this is not to say you can't try it out and see how it works for you, I would say though, the transition period can take up to a month, so at least give it that before you decide to quit. It was a bit rough for me in the beginning. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lizzyxo
    Options
    Thank you for your responses!

@bluebird321 Thank you! I might just try it and see how I feel.

@susanswan I will check that out right now! thank you!!!!

and

@matisse216 I agree about how we have poor health. I have been a vegetarian since I was 10 years old, and I am 19 (I had a very strong mind when I was little! haha) I have tried to eat meat, but it freaks me out sometimes because I'm not used to it and it tastes so weird to me now. I actually started gaining weight when I was about 11 after I started being a vegetarian, and that is when I got lymphedema. so I believe that the fat is related to the clogging of my lymph nodes. Thank you for your advice!!
  • lizzyxo
    Options
    @purplesaurus Thank you! I will look into that as well! Thank you and congrats on your success!!!
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    Clean eating is the way for me, keeps me full longer and my skin and energy have improved beyond belief.

Try it, you cant loose anything but weight trying :0)
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just try not to label my diet... It's pretty easy to follow the mantra processed = bad, fresh = good

I do really well by avoiding processed foods at almost all cost.

I eat less gluten because it's work to make it. (I bake my own bread, make my own pasta) so it encourages moderation.

I eat less sugar because I don't use processed sugar and maple syrup and natural honey are expensive, so the foods just don't get made.

I eat less dairy because I can't afford organic, and cheese usually isn't worth it... I do still have yogurt most days, but I bet I could give it up for almond yogurt or chia pudding, but I never rink glasses of milk or eat cheese based meals

I eat less meat because I want to buy farm fresh local meat where possible... I can't afford that and organic veggies if we were going to eat big portions of meat every day, so I cut it back.

I couldn't give up rice and beans without really feeling it, so I can't go paleo. Eggs seem like the perfect food, so I can't see giving them up either.

good luck finding what works for you
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been eating Paleo/Primal for 10 months and it's no longer a diet, it's just how I eat. I don't think it will make a difference for your lymphedema, but it could very well help your fibromyalgia, since that's an auto-immune related condition. Actually, you don't need to go Paleo for that, just try eating gluten-free for 4-6 weeks and see if that makes a difference. If you have gluten sensitivities, that could be exacerbating your fibromyalgia.

Paleo means different things to different people. Some are very strict about it and others less so. You could try it and see how it goes for you. Many people struggle in the first week because of the reduction of carbs. While it doesn't have to be low carb, it's usually much lower than the SAD eating that most people are used to. Some people go whole hog from the start, some people ease into in.

Some good places to learn about it:
    Www.whole9life.com
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
    http://www.fitbomb.com/p/why-i-eat-paleo.html

It's not a "diet" for weight loss, but most people do lose on it because high cal foods are replaced with lower cal nutrient-dense foods.

Many people will say its too restrictive. That depends on your mindset. I don't mind eliminating the foods that I tend to overeat. I'm better at eliminating them than moderating them. And virtually no one eats paleo 100% of the time. It's a blueprint for a nutritious diet, and people who eat Paleo find their open ways to make it sustainable.

You do have to be willing to cook more, since you will be avoiding most packaged foods. If you aren't willing to cook, then it's not the best choice for you.

Good luck!

ETA: it is harder as a vegetarian. But if you're willing to eat eggs and fish, it's not impossible. In fact, I'll bet that you'll eat more actual vegetables on Paleo than you would as a vegetarian.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Paleo is quite healthy, but it's also pretty restrictive. There's really no reason you need to cut out a lot of the foods that Paleo says you should. If eating a limited range of food works for you, then it's a fine choice.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Some people thrive on a Paleo diet, others can't do it for a day because of how restrictive it is. A lot of the people who really enjoy it and do well eating this way are people who are doing it for reasons other then weight-loss.

I follow a Paleo diet because I have Crohns, and its the only thing that keeps things kinda in control. Most of the things that are "restricted" are my trigger foods anyway, so for me Paleo is perfect. For my husband who can eat anything he wants? Not so much. Not his thing. Like I said, depends on the person.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It is a very good choice but might be more difficult for you to maintain if you aren't eating much meat. I have MANY health problems and it helps me tremendously.