Wow! What an eye opener

Options
Hi. This is my second day on MFP and I can see why it works. What a revelation diarIzing my food has been - I'm being honest and yikes! if I keep eating like I did yesterday I'll gain 10 lbs in 2 weeks.

Replies

• LarryWorrall
    LarryWorrall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is truly amazing what you learn when you start keeping records of all the food you eat during the day. It can be a real eye opener. Good luck on your new journey.
  • WeightTilNextTime
    WeightTilNextTime Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree an honest (gulp) diary is a shocker. I feel I should now introduce myself to people by saying something like "Hello, my name is WeightTilNextTime and I'm a Sugar-olic!" Even the most "innocent" of items seems to be full of sugar. It is my hope that eating right will retrain my taste buds. I have already kissed soda (even diet) goodbye. I wish you luck on your journey and I am sure you won't continue to eat "like yesterday" and you will have success due to this great web site. Remember "Every great journey..."
  • Choohi87
    Choohi87 Posts: 6
    Options
    So true! It's scary how many calories are in things. It makes me think that I was well over 2000 call before joining mfp!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Truly a rude awakening!! Make small changes day by day!
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    Recording my food was an eye opener for me too. I had no idea that the things I used to eat all the time were that full of sugar.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I agree an honest (gulp) diary is a shocker. I feel I should now introduce myself to people by saying something like "Hello, my name is WeightTilNextTime and I'm a Sugar-olic!" Even the most "innocent" of items seems to be full of sugar. It is my hope that eating right will retrain my taste buds. I have already kissed soda (even diet) goodbye. I wish you luck on your journey and I am sure you won't continue to eat "like yesterday" and you will have success due to this great web site. Remember "Every great journey..."

Don't get rid of everything you love. We see so many people start their journey on MFP with the best of intentions, chucking everything they consider 'naughty' out of their diet and theres no need at all. I did it myself, I started on 1200 cals a day, lasted about 4-6 weeks on that amount until my will to live nearly left me and and I did some research and realised I didn't have to starve and not eat nice things to lose weight. MFP is a great site. but starting people off on 1200 cals a day is far too low.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi. This is my second day on MFP and I can see why it works. What a revelation diarIzing my food has been - I'm being honest and yikes! if I keep eating like I did yesterday I'll gain 10 lbs in 2 weeks.

LOL! This is my second day, too. I'm also appalled at how I've been packing it on. The charts are super helpful.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Don't get rid of everything you love. We see so many people start their journey on MFP with the best of intentions, chucking everything they consider 'naughty' out of their diet and theres no need at all. I did it myself, I started on 1200 cals a day, lasted about 4-6 weeks on that amount until my will to live nearly left me and and I did some research and realised I didn't have to starve and not eat nice things to lose weight. MFP is a great site. but starting people off on 1200 cals a day is far too low.

I agree with this. Don't cut everything out cold turkey. Make baby steps and your journey will be a success. Cutting out soda is a great first step, since it's nothing but sugar anyways. But make transitions that you can manage and sustain long-term. Remember, it's not a race... and you developed all those "bad" habits over the course of x number of years, so it will take awhile to retrain yourself. Good luck!!
  • tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise was realizing that I have probably gone years and years not eating *enough*!!! Sometimes meeting my calories is an exercise in futility! But I try, and do it most days.
  • Naomipal
    Naomipal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Logging foods works for me! Since you are new,, one thing I now wish I had done in the beginning was take photos of myself,, so do that!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Same here - logging food was a huge eye-opener for me. I always thought I ate pretty healthy, but was shocked at a lot of the calorie counts of my regular foods, and how little protein I was getting.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    thats great that it has helped you see what you are eating. if you lie in your diary you are only cheating yourself, and its great that you can see what you are eating and how much is in it. before you know it, it will be so easy and you will love eating great new healthy foods. but dont deprive yourself, remember its a lifestyle change and its okay to have things you love. if you can fit it into your macros, then a slice of pizza or ice cream wont kill ya :] best of luck!