Giving up diet soda

Options
This is going to be really hard to do but I'm going to give up Diet Coke. I'm really addicted & have been for about 25 years. Not sure even how to begin.

Replies

• cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    One day at a time.
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    id suggest cutting down one can a day xx
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This is going to be really hard to do but I'm going to give up Diet Coke. I'm really addicted & have been for about 25 years. Not sure even how to begin.

Is there a specific reason why you are giving it up? just curious since it is such a controversial issue.
  • masonchar
    masonchar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey - I was the same. Drank diet coke for over 25 years - every day!!
    I quit cold turkey on January 15th this year and haven't had even a sip of it since then. I have completely replaced it with WATER!
    I don't even miss it at all anymore - and feel so much better. Greatest change I have made to my diet in a long time!
  • pegasus925
    pegasus925 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm giving it up because I think it makes me hungry & I don't like that I'm addicted to something.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time! I drank TONS of soda for years and years too. I gave it up cold turkey Oct. 25, so it's been almost 6 months. It definitely gets easier. I got a Soda Stream and now drink tons of carbonated water. It can be done! I don't really miss it much any more.
  • mdhughes33
    Options
    What is controversial over "giving up" diet soda? I haven't seen anything that says it is good for ya :)
    Is there a specific reason why you are giving it up? just curious since it is such a controversial issue.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

2m2gjg1.jpg
  • mdhughes33
    Options
    I got a Soda Stream and now drink tons of carbonated water. It can be done! I don't really miss it much any more.

Yes, yes, yes! I gave up diet coke years ago, but every now and then get a craving.... i find the craving is often for bubbles and i turn to my soda stream! they are also good with half a packet of crystal light. :)
  • roni1179
    roni1179 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I gave it up as well since i was going through a 12 pack of diet every other day. I think I loved the bubbles in it so I started drinking the carbonated flavored waters and then just quick drinking those and don't really miss it at all. Sometimes I do but it is that was with most people at their lil addictions! Good luck!
  • mdhughes33
    Options
    I'm giving it up because I think it makes me hungry & I don't like that I'm addicted to something.

Good reasons :)) studies have shown that drinking diet soda increases hunger and snacking!
  • deckthomas
    deckthomas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gave it up as well since i was going through a 12 pack of diet every other day. I think I loved the bubbles in it so I started drinking the carbonated flavored waters and then just quick drinking those and don't really miss it at all. Sometimes I do but it is that was with most people at their lil addictions! Good luck!

Worked for me too. I often put 1/4 cup or so of the flavored sparkling water in with a tall glass of plain water.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    What is controversial over "giving up" diet soda? I haven't seen anything that says it is good for ya :)

There are threads on here and ppl go back and forth about how it is bad for you and others how it isnt because they drink a case a day or whatever lol I was just curious as to why she quit because I am on the fence. I dont think ppl should drink it because it has no nutritional value but yet it has helped so many lose weight by halting cravings. IDK it just isnt as black and white as I would like for it to be lol
  • lessofme150
    lessofme150 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used to have diet pop everyday, sometimes two. One day I just decided that I could spend that money elsewhere and stopped drinking it regularly about 5 years ago. I too quit cold turkey but I was also very fortunate that I like to drink water. Now, I have maybe one a week and some days I grab a can, drink part of it and then don't really want to finish it. I found for me all I wanted was something really cold to drink. I bought jug with a filter so that I could keep constant water in the fridge. When I moved into my current place I spent the extra money and got the fridge that has the water and ice in the door. Huge difference for me.

I hope you find what works for you but perhaps you can set yourself a schedule on a calendar. If you typically drink one every day, cut out Monday and Thursday. After a bit, switch to one every second day. Then switch to two days a week you allow one. It will get to the point where you won't even want the one that is scheduled.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I used to drink quite a bit of fizzy (diet), especially when I was on low cal/diet plan - I thought (wrongly) it filled me up.

I will allow myself maybe one glass of ginger ale a week, but I genuinely don't crave it anymore. I'm not sure why I have gone off it, but I rarely drink soda and stick to water, carbonated water or herbal tea. My skin is so, so much clearer.

Do it a day at a time. In fact, I'd do it a week/4 days at a time. Cut down by half a can for four days, then another half a can, and so on until you have replaced the diet soda with something like water. You could start replacing with carbonated water, or carbonated flavoured water so you still have the fizzy sensation for a while.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    You got this! :flowerforyou:
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just start with one can a day. I too once was a soda addict and cut myself down to one.. And soon figured out how much money I was saving. This encouraged me to go the extra step and cut it out completely.

Now it's just water, coffee, and beer for me.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    cold turkey. Just drink more filtered water, tea and or watered down fruit juice and for the sugar hit just eat fruit in general they will curb the appetite for sugar and caffeine which is all most soda's are.

I went cold turkey off of Soda, Coffee, Fruit Juices (not hand squeezed) aswell as junk food in general
    It is hard the first few days then it gets alot easier, just think what you will be saving yourself in the long run money wise not to mention the damage it was doing to your teeth and vital organs can be lessened considerably if not repaired.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I gave up pop I gave it up cold turkey. I just quit buying it. I thought about it every once in a while, but I had none in the house to act on and then it became an out-of-sight-out-of-mind type of thing.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I too love diet sodas, and I managed to go about a month. Then I had a relapse and drank one yesterday and one today. It's not easy