Squats! Weight vs no weight

Options
2»

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Work on form, use the bar, work on form with the bar, then progressively add weight to the bar. Keep squatting, get round booty.

Read:

Starting Strength
    www.niashanks.com
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    don't lift heavy weights you will get bulky and go into starvation mode.....

How will she get bulky unless she eats to get bulky? Not going to happen.

Here is a great introduction to weight training, for women:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

You obviously missed his sarcasm.

OP-Weighted squats for the win, always.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

hmmm you obviously do not understand the age old art of sarcasm ...I suggest you read up on it...
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    Once again thank you everyone for the help! Honestly this will be the last time I ask for any advice on here. . Not sure why people feel the need to sit on my fitness pal all day and read threads just be rude lol ill just ask the personal trainers at my gym next time to avoid arrogant losers! Sorry my life isn't lifting bro, haha.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry truth offends you. peace
  • JulieKayJ
    JulieKayJ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do various types of squats -- with a bar with as much weight as my knees can take, with body weight, body weight holding a 25 pound plate, slams with a medicine ball... I don't feel the body weight squats much anymore, but when I added the 25 pound weight, I felt those the next day. Dead lifts are awesome for the butt, too. Form is obviously crucial in everything you do.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I started with bodyweight squats and bodyweight split squats, working now with one legged squats and pistol squats. No need to use weights if you don't want to. Plenty of ways to keep the intensity up with bodyweight alone.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Do both.

When I squat at the gym I use weights. If I'm doing some squats at home I use my body weight and I'm pretty sore the next day.

ETA: And sorry for the asshats and their snarky responses. Everyone is an expert on here and they like to argue for the sake of arguing. If you're not squatting you shouldn't workout. If your gym doesn't have a squat rack you need to to go another gym. If you do cardio you're an idiot. Seriously. These are the responses you'll get no matter what.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    I also started back and front squatting (with weights) and I can't believe the round and firmness I can see...
  • rae_32
    rae_32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely weight! I say where's the fun in squatting body weight only :)? Plus it's not just for your butt, there's so many other benefits to squatting for your back and core... That said do what you can and start light...
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Definitely weight! I say where's the fun in squatting body weight only :)? Plus it's not just for your butt, there's so many other benefits to squatting for your back and core... That said do what you can and start light...

The fun is in working towards being able to sit slowly down on one leg only and then squat back up on one leg from "*kitten* to grass" to standing. It's called a Pistol Squat and it is great fun. It's a real blast having that feeling where you are totally in control of your own body. Great for your back and core as well!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question?

In case not, with weights of course! Dumbbells, kettlebells, barbells... body weight is fine for warm ups and when learning form or when just doing 30ds.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Is this a trick question?

In case not, with weights of course! Dumbbells, kettlebells, barbells... body weight is fine for warm ups and when learning form or when just doing 30ds.

I don't think the OP was posting a trick question. Bodyweight is fine for warmups and learning form, but can also be made increasingly harder to keep strength gains going.