Eating before working out???

Options
Hey... It's me again..

One question or all those fitness gurus out there..::

What is better: workout after you eat or on an empty stomach..??? what is better to increase you calories burned?? I did some circuit training video workout right after I ate something not so "healthy" and gosh... I almost hurled.. So I wonder if working out with an empty stomach would be better...???

Or what kind of foods increase your calories burned ..??

thanks y'all

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When you eat, doesn't really affect your burn through exercise. If it does, it is likely minimal. It's more about your comfort. Do you feel the need to eat before? Just after? Then do it, if not, and your workout isn't affect, don't. No specific food will make you burn more calories through exercise.
  • Mary2302
    Mary2302 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    woow.. thanks.. I read somewhere before about some foods that may increase the calories burned while exercising.. That's why is good to do some research.. thank you very much

So I guess I should eat something light.. like a fruit or a little snack
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I agree with Jen. It's all about how you feel. Personally, if I haven't eaten within a few hours of working out I usually have a bad run. I used to go to the gym right after work and I'd be hungry. Really affected my performance. So now I have dinner first and then go work out. Some people are the opposite and feel lousy if they eat before a workout. Just do what works for you.
  • Mary2302
    Options
    thanks..
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's your preference, but I find pre-workouts react better with nothing in my stomach and also I don't get side stitches if I run on an empty stomach. I used to work out with a meal before, but I never trained "fasted" and I just like it better.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have been told by a few fitness fanatics, that if you exercise before eating you will burn more calories from your food because you “wake-up” your metabolism with the work out. I am no expert but this is what I have been told... Always keep in mind “any exercise is better than no exercise”!
  • Kris61290
    Options
    Agree with Debbjones. Have heard the same thing from fitness experts. Eating AFTER working out wakes up your metabolism and you continue burning calories throughout the day
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat before my workouts I can achieve so much more and go harder than trying to do it on an empty stomach so in that sense I am able to burn more calories because the food has given me the energy to really push myself. Even if it's just half a banana before a run... it all helps. I definitely have to eat before my weight training sessions!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    There are so many different answers here! I am one that cannot eat right before I work out. I have to have at least 2 hours between my meal and my workout. Any sooner, I feel sluggish and sick to my stomach. I do like to eat a good meal about 30-60 minutes after my cool down.
  • Mary2302
    Options
    Thanks y'all.. I guess I really like the idea of eating at least something small before working out.. It might help me to get through the workout
  • blkpag1
    blkpag1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to do no food before my morning cardio. I do eat before and sometimes during (protein shake if I am doing a really long session) lifting in the evening.