Pain is not weakness take it serious

Options
I have heard the quote pain is weakness leaving the body being banded about - that is incorrect pain is when you are genuinely hurt. Today I am in pain - my elbow and hip are really hurt and I had to back off. People who know me understand how driven I am and not a quitter. Weakness leaving the body is when you conquer something that you couldn't do before and push past the point where it is difficult physically and mentally. That is not pain - that is determination!

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thanks for saying this. Idk how many times I've seen people ask about pushing through pain.
  • feast4dabeast
    feast4dabeast Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for saying this. Idk how many times I've seen people ask about pushing through pain.

yes pain is a sign that you are actually hurt
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Great advice! More serious injuries would be avoided if people would always follow this plan
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this today. I'm on day 3 of rest because my knee is achey and throbby, and it has been seriously hard to not push through and do it anyway. Thank you.
    Editing to add when I mean achey and throbby, it throbs at rest and feels sharp and stabby when I bend it. >.>
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and proper pain. Proper pain probably indicates that you're doing yourself an injury, and if you're keen to stay healthy, a sign to stop!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I get what your mean, but I think that phrase is used to mean that when you are exercising don't stop when you first feel the burn.
    I.e. when I'm doing sprints on the treadmill ill start struggling a bit at about 40-45 seconds but I push through to the 60 second mark.
    If I was running and I started to feel pain in calf, hamstring then I would stop because that would signal an injury.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Injury pain, yes. DOMS pain, no.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Pain is very real and continuing to "work thought it" can be serious stuff. I have double knee replacements and when I overdo or cause injury to my knees, my ortho doc sidelines me from exercise for a week or so.

So now I have learned my lesson and don't follow the statement: no pain, no gain.

I may not be an exercise queen, but I'm doing what is right for ME.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I always try to figure out where the source of the pain is coming from and if it's just a bit of pain because I started working out after a long break, I ignore it and do my workout anyway. If I suspect it's a more serious pain, I take a day off. No shame in taking a day or two to recover and then getting back on it!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    A lot of people push through and it's worrying. You're not going to get to your goal any faster by struggling through an injury. You're just going to push your goals even further away by injuring yourself repeatedly....
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A lot of people push through and it's worrying. You're not going to get to your goal any faster by struggling through an injury. You're just going to push your goals even further away by injuring yourself repeatedly....

Having pushed through (abnormal) pain before, I can attest to this. I kinda of screwed up my ability to move around for a bit because I decided to ignore pain.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right. Anything that doesn't just feel like a general, symmetrical challenge-related strain should be listened to. Even if it's tiny, like a little twinge. Take the time to figure out what it is before pushing through.
  • feast4dabeast
    Options
    Injury pain, yes. DOMS pain, no.

I would argue that it is actually just muscle soreness - in my view pain is a different concept
  • feast4dabeast
    Options
    There's a huge difference between pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and proper pain. Proper pain probably indicates that you're doing yourself an injury, and if you're keen to stay healthy, a sign to stop!

even more wise than me you are ;)