Why are people so overweight, unhealthy and ill?

Options

Replies

• mikeroobuddha
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly.

Uh, no. I bought a whole chicken and a bag of organic carrots for less than $6. That could feed a family of 4 for dinner, maybe some left overs, and then you can make soup with the rest. It's false to say eating junk is cheaper. That same $6 isn't even one meal at McD's. I really wish people would get off this band wagon that healthful food costs more. It's a myth. Learn to cook. It's cheap. It's like this dark secret that only a few people know about. Everyone else thinks food is expensive. A few of us stand around scratching our heads not understanding what you are talking about.

very true :wink:
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. I bought a whole chicken and a bag of organic carrots for less than $6. That could feed a family of 4 for dinner, maybe some left overs, and then you can make soup with the rest. It's false to say eating junk is cheaper. That same $6 isn't even one meal at McD's. I really wish people would get off this band wagon that healthful food costs more. It's a myth. Learn to cook. It's cheap. It's like this dark secret that only a few people know about. Everyone else thinks food is expensive. A few of us stand around scratching our heads not understanding what you are talking about.

You're missing the point. I realize that cooking vs not cooking can mean a large gap in money spent, because obviously if we eat out for every meal it's going to cost us more. And I'm not saying eating healthy can't be done cheaper than people generally think it does (although that' can be an entirely different discussion, come up with WEEKS of meals...not just 7 days... that aren't boring, don't take forever to cook on a weeknight, or that your kids will eat ) But what I am referring to is the instance of walking into a store like Walmart and being able to procure WAY more calories for WAY less money. THAT'S the problem. Low cost, low nutrient, high CALORIE foods reign in the food marketplace. That's a fact. Go to any average food store (no not Whole Foods) and see for yourself. Look around. What do you think that struggling family of 4 is going to buy when they walk in with $50 for the week?

And how about this? You can buy crap food at gas stations, hardware stores, car washes, schools, etc. Hell I was in a MATERNITY store a couple weeks ago and they had a refrigerator filled with apple juice with HFC. Who needs that?

What I am saying is the OP is simplistic in basically saying "this is good for you, just do it, I don't know why you're not smart enough to figure it out".....because there is SO much more to it than people just making a good or bad decision for their health. Maybe the gov shouldn't subsidize so much damn corn. Maybe your and my tax money shouldn't be spent in ways that lobbyists invariably get to influence, in favor of these food corporations.

And your average family DOESN'T have a nutritionist in their back pocket, whipping up food options for a day, a week or a year for them. And if they did, many of them don't have nearly the time to roast a chicken. Or hell, maybe they don't even have an OVEN.

No dear OP, and the "enlightened" among the rest of the world...there is much more to this problem than simply knowing better. People who know better do a PLETHORA of things they shouldn't. We need to ask ourselves what REALLY drives our choices about our health.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Workhardeathealthybehappy, I suggest two things: writing lessons and tact. It was difficult reading that huge block of text. How did you ever graduate from high school?

Perhaps your intentions are good, but you are preaching to the choir. Your facts are not revelatory or earthshaking. Many of us know this, and much more. Frankly, your tone was condescending and judgmental. Instead of adopting that preachy tone, why don't you share what worked for you?

I gained most of my weight from being injured, depressed, menopausal, and bored. It wasn't just one injury; I've had mysterious aches, pains, and broken bones over a period of about 10-12 years. I found that most of my symptoms were caused by an overactive parathyroid gland, which is a gland in your body that controls serum calcium levels in the body. There are usually four of them. It is overactive because of a benign tumor that causes that one particular gland to put out hormones that call for more calcium in the bloodstream. I cannot possibly eat enough calcium to meet its demands, so it leeches it from my bones. Other symptoms are muscular and joint pain, heartburn and digestive upsets, kidney stones, brain fog, chronic fatigue, fractures, headaches, and many other vague symptoms that can be attributed to other causes. The diagnosis will ultimately be confirmed when lab tests show high levels of serum calcium, low Vitamin D, and high parathyroid hormone levels. I changed to a new endocrinologist recently, and I will be having the offending gland removed, and hopefully, that will fix a lot of my problems. I thank my lucky stars that the overall bone loss is not severe. Thank goodness for big bones!

Since my last injuries, and the subsequent physical therapy, I recovered enough from my injuries to start an exercise and nutrition program. I even got included in a study for fitness and nutritional counseling and have access to a nutritionist and an exercise physiologist. I count my blessings.

My primary exercise is walking, and I do lots of it. I hit the gym at least twice a week, doing cardio and weights, working all muscle groups. I eat primarily organic veggies, grains, fruits, and dairy. I limit my meats to organic meats. I can cook and push flavor using a minimum of extra fats and sodium. I indulge in chocolate if I have calories left over at the end of my day, and I can make some killer fruit desserts. I find that "diets" that eliminate entire food groups to be potential traps. Believe me, I've tried them all over the last several years.

There is a lot of toxic food out there. Most of it can be avoided by avoiding the middle aisle of the grocery store. Most of it can be avoided by seeking out organic or non-factory farmed options. Most of it can be avoided by learning how to cook. Cooking is not about knowing a lot of recipes. It is about learning basic techniques and combinations. it is worth knowing them. I can look in the pantry on any given day and prepare a meal with the ingredients available as long as I have my staples.

Workhardheathelathybehappy, I'm not exactly sure why you are here, but I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, babies aren't supposed to have water by itself until solids are introduced.
    But, I get the idea, I am always drinking water, but I've always been that way even at my highest weight.

This is very true. Water can actually kill babies if they drink too much. Other than mixing it with formula, they shouldn't have any until they are eating a good bit of solid food, so 6+ months and even then it shouldn't be much. I could go on about that though for a while...

But back to the OP...I couldn't read it without going cross-eyed. Paragraphs are your best friend if you tend to make a lengthy post.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Use of paragraphs would greatly improve readability of this post. People don't like to wade through solid blocks of text.

yea I lost interest after the first few sentences...

I think that the food industry has caused this problem (not maliciously, more innocently) where we want our food to sell better than the next guy's so all of this research goes into getting people addicted to bad food, as young as possible. It's fairly innocent, if I was the owner of "joe's crappy foods" I would do what I could to sell more than "franks fattening fare"

Now, we have these whole industries revolving around fixing the mess we have made ourselves.

When people homesteaded, they had a limited amount of resources... only so much farm land; do I grow food, or raise meat... I have extra meat, you have extra lettuce, lets trade! Now we are consuming what would be a pilgrim family's weeks worth of cream (that they would have to divvy between baking, churning for butter etc) in one sugar laden Frappuccino that we don't even step out of our gas guzzling SUV to purchase

We just aren't reasonable anymore.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Because they keep eating because it tastes so good.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly. Want more information about the answer to your question? Watch "Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat". It's available instantly on Netflix if you've got it.

And because unfortunately unhealthy foods have the benefit of that magic fat/sugar/salt combination that whole or limited processed foods don't. Billions of dollars go into researching those combinations. If you're interested in that, read "The End of Overeating" by former FDA Commissioner David Kessler. Even places that are more "sit down" rather than fast food like Applebee's and TGI Fridays don't necessarily look at their food in the same perspective as you do if you cook at home. They look at their foods in terms of fat/sugar and salt and how they can get you to eat and drink more of it by manipulating those ratios.

I learned this to my chagrin the other day when I went out to lunch with friends to East Side Mario's and ordered the scallop/shrimp salad, thinking it would be the save choice. Would you believe that it had 13 grams of sugar (when it should have had none) and 1,800 mg. of sodium---almost a whole day's supply!

OMGEEZ...I would have walked out or thrown the dish at the waiter.

I knew that it was pretty salty but I didn't know HOW salty till I got home and looked up the nutritional content of their meals on their website. The pasta dishes have even MORE sodium, if you can believe it!
  • DaneDillinger
    DaneDillinger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements."
    - Peter Gibbons

OFFICE SPACE. F*cking epic.
  • MarkoPolo40
    MarkoPolo40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Because they keep eating because it tastes so good.

There is also the problem of "food addiction" spurred on by the excessive amount of sugar in our food supply. It is estimated that the average American eats 500 calories a day in added sugar (primarily from sucrose but also from high fructose corn syrup). The per capita consumption of sugar (i.e. sucrose) has gone from less than 5 pounds at the turn of the 20th century to 150 pounds at the turn of the 21st century. Interestingly, the fat consumption is only slightly above what our ancestors ate in fat but the total number of calories is higher by the amount of sugar that people are consuming (and only 40% of it is from the sugar bowl or frankly sugary foods). Here is a link to the proceedings from a scientific conference on "food addiction" of a few years ago. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/presenters-johnson.htm

Interesting reading. If an individual's leptin response is normal, he/she stops eating when he/she has had enough. Sugar consumption causes aberrations in leptin response over a very few years in certain sensitive individuals. Researchers have discovered that leptin resistance precedes and predicts insulin resistance. The majority of obese individuals have leptin resistance---especially obese women. Women have the metabolic disadvantage of having leptin levels that are 2 to 3 times that of men---even at the same level of body fat (leptin is produced in the body's fat cells).
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    People do not get fat because they are poor. That's the worst excuse in the book, and its a huge insult to every penniless fit student and every person who's kept off the pounds while on a tight budget. When I was growing up we couldn't even afford McDonalds.
  • MarkoPolo40
    Options
    :laugh:
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook. It's cheap.

Yep.
  • MarkoPolo40
    Options
    OP doesn't want to tell us what to put in our mouths, then proceeds to do just that.
    andersoncooper_zps8f40d1d0.gif

Perhaps someone SHOULD be telling people what to put in their mouths. It seems like so many struggle with this today. Besides, I never heard the OP telling anyone what to put in their mouths and even if she did it would be her right. Maybe the people that complain about being told what to do, should take care of themselves so that people don't have to tell them what to do. Of course, my two cents. :)
  • MarkoPolo40
    Options
    A bit judgemental dont you think.

In what regard would this post be the least bit judgemental?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly.

This!

My food budget has gone down a lot since I have started eating healthier. Granted I don't buy a lot of meat since my husband is the only one that eats it but with the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables I buy you would think we have spent a lot of money. Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive and I definately think it's cheaper than eating junk food.

The key is to put in the work to ensure you are spending less while getting better prices. Shopping sales will give you TONS of healthy food for very little money. For my husband and I, our dog and all the household stuff needed we only spend maybe $50 a week on food and we eat very well. When we were eating frozen pizzas, frozen meals, boxed crap, we were spending at least $75 a week on food and drinks. I definately agree that eating healthier costing more is a myth.

You don't have to go for all organic foods. Buy organic for the things that are higher in pesticides. Or don' buy organic and ensure you wash your food really well if you can't afford organic.

If people actually learned to meal plan, shop properly and put in the time and effort into their food choices they would eat amazing, healthy meals cheaper than McDonalds. I can go to McDonalds and get dinner for myself and my husband for about $18. I can take that same $18 and get enough food for myself and my husband to have dinner and for us both to have lunch the next day at least. $5 for chicken breast, $4 for a bag of mixed veggies, $4 for a bag of brown rice will do at least four servings and comes to much less than a meal for two at McDonalds.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

the poster you quoted is correct in that government subsidies make unhealthy foods cheaper and that fast food has more bang for your buck calorically speaking. Split that chicken and carrots up among 4 people, and it's probably 300 calories or less per person. for a buck at McD's you can get more than 300 calories.

I agree that eating well is not as expensive as people think, but in calories per dollar, fast food has the higher ratio.

I do agree that calorie for calorie fast food can be cheaper. However if it came down to calories over actual nutrition, I would prefer less calories for better vitamins, minerals and nutrition.

However, adding in a cheap bag of rice from the dollarstore for that meal mentioned above would bring the calorie counts up for only $1.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

And I'm not saying eating healthy can't be done cheaper than people generally think it does (although that' can be an entirely different discussion, come up with WEEKS of meals...not just 7 days... that aren't boring, don't take forever to cook on a weeknight, or that your kids will eat )

Not to be argumentative, but it would seem you're missing a point yourself. I counted 4 excuses in that 3rd sentence alone. It's about priorities. :drinker:
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

THIS!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

And I'm not saying eating healthy can't be done cheaper than people generally think it does (although that' can be an entirely different discussion, come up with WEEKS of meals...not just 7 days... that aren't boring, don't take forever to cook on a weeknight, or that your kids will eat )

Not to be argumentative, but it would seem you're missing a point yourself. I counted 4 excuses in that 3rd sentence alone. It's about priorities. :drinker:

Maybe that's why people are 'so overweight, unhealthy & ill'? just sayin.