Starting over and Need help

Options
peanut613
peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
I'm not exactly new to the MFP scene. I used it to lose weight before, but I stopped caring about myself and I've let the weight creep back on. I need to start again. Now.

That said, I need help overhauling my life. Before, I changed my caloric intake to lose. I didn't eat the right foods, I just ate smaller portions of junk. I want to do it right this time. I need help. I'm going shopping Monday morning (I work all weekend) to overhaul the kitchen cabinets. But I have no idea what to get. I need shopping lists, recipes, any help you can give me. I'm so addicted to the junk food that I don't even know where to begin. So perhaps some good alternatives for the inevitable snack cravings?

Also, I need some work outs to do. I was never big into exercising. I saw the pounds change, but the overall body tone was still flabby. And I know it's because I only attacked half the battle. I have gym access so I'm going to start using the bikes there. But I want something I can do in my living room. I'm a 3rd floor apartment, so jumping/jogging in place etc isn't very neighbor friendly. I have access to Netflix, so maybe some aggressive pilates and yoga routines I can supplement with?

I essentially am starting from scratch and have to change my mentality as much as my lifestyle. If anyone want, please feel free to add me as a friend and keep me accountable. Message me asking if I got up and worked out. Please help me. I don't want to be out of control any more...

Replies

• Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    For your food overhaul, I'd say check out some recipes that you might like and buy enough to make portions to last several days. Buy things that make food making simple and easy. For instance, I have eggs with some kind of cheese, fruit and vegetable each day (can check my diary). I can always add or modify from there, but knowing that I can just reach for an egg for breakfast as a base to my meal makes it simple. Try oatmeal or granola cereal? Yogurt? You get the idea.

If the gym is what you prefer, make sure you go there however many times a week you plan to be active. When I first started, I just planned to walk and increased distance and/or speed. Without a set plan, though, I found it easy to skip days. Once I started following something like 30 day shred or insanity, I make sure to keep on track. Maybe a planned activity, or something written, will help you keep at it.
  • NadiaSAKloof
    NadiaSAKloof Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Firstly, well done for coming back and wanting to change your life - big step.

I am probably not the best to give advise as I HATE cooking and my diary is not a good one to follow. I was also living on junk food. I would start with a healthy breakfast, but get progressively worse as the day drew to a close. I have Kellogg's all bran flakes with shaved almonds for breakfast (and sometimes dinner!). I have scrambled eggs for lunch, sometimes with low fat cheese, but, best of all, I have USN Diet Fuel or Protein Crunch bars as a snack to satisfy my chocolate craving. This is my first week, so will see how I go. I may have a bit of a "cheat day" tomorrow and will see what my results are by the end of the week.

Best of luck. You will manage just fine with all of the support you will get here!
  • stephaniesjourney
    Options
    Hi there.....

I know it can be tough getting going but you'll do great! try to eat first thing in the morning and then every three to four hours. helps boost your metabolism. Drink lots of water too.... you want to try to eat as much whole food as possible meaning the most natural form like fruits and vegetables. packaged food with as little ingredients as possible like nature valley crunchy granola bars, tuna fish,chicken, definitely eggs. corn tortillias instead of flour. yogurt beans are another great thing to make. one of my favorite is 15 bean soup .

as far as working out. the elliptical at the gym is a great fat burner...gets your heart pumping.

anyway, just a general idea if you have any questions feel free to message me
  • joshfei
    joshfei Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, there were 3 parts that I believe made this work.
    Step 1 was removing everything remotely unhealthy and tempting from my house.
    Step 2 was buying and replacing the above with healthy alternatives. Fruits, vegetables, whole wheat or whole grain breads etc.
    Step 3 was committing to myself the responsibility of logging every bit of food (excluding water/coffee) to the MFP app.
    With doing all this, I've managed to lose 40 pounds and feel great.
    Some other tips include sharing your plans with family/friend even coworkers for both encouragement and accountability.
    I also recommend reading as much as possible, others success stories as you can feel the motivation pouring out from these people.
    Best of luck to you.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A great cookbook to start with is called the Hairy Dieters cook book - how o love food and lose weight (you can get it in America on Amazon - I checked). It has great recipes which are just tweaked to make the lower cal.
    For me when I go shopping I get
    Frozen chicken breasts, frozen prawns, brown rice, onions, garlic, peppers, butternut squash, celery, leeks, beetroot, tinned tuna, extremely low fat mayo, low fat soft cheese, low fat crime fraiche, asparagus, eggs, lean beef mince (12% fat or less)
    That's like my staple list.
    Just don't buy any junk - NO biscuits, crisps, sweets, cakes, ice cream.
    Make it hard for you to find the bad stuff when you want it.
    If you need recipe help PM me and I can write mine out and email them.
  • matisse216
    Options
    I would love to help out with the recipe Idea's and shopping list?
    How many people do you cook for?
    And how much time a night do you have for meal preparations?
    how many calories do you plan on eating a day?

I spend under an hour in the kitchen a night preparing/cooking dinner (including cooking time)
    Although I am cooking for three hungry adult men and two healthy eating adult women (including myself).

Let me know and I'd love to give you some ideas.
    I really enjoy preparing and eating filling and nutritious meals.
  • critchie73
    Options
    Welcome back...

I've had to start over reciently too, I lost 100 lbs about 10 yrs ago and have kept most of it off but in the past year or so I've put back on about 25 plus I still had 50 to go so as of today I need about 75 lbs gone. Its hard to stay motivated sometimes. This is a good place to get started. If you can get to a nutritionist they are very helpful, my husband and I spoke to one a few years ago and have kept up with most of her sugestions. The eating on the run seems to be my downfall. Keep some healthy snacks in her purse to keep those cravings at bay while out around town. Pilates is a great idea for the neighbor friendly exersize, I was living on the third floor when I lost my first 100. It really helpped tone my flabby belly from having three babies in three years. I also have fibro so the low impact was a great starter for me. Hope this helps. Keep us up to date with how your doing. Good luck!