Always over on sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I too was constantly over on my sugar intake.
    Last year there were some folks that posted this video and the information was enlightening.

I have since reduced sugar intake to under 20g per day and it has done wonders for me.
    I have lost weight, my cholesterol is back to normal cause my triglycerides dropped dramatically.
    I have had high triglycerides my entire adult life, and even with medication they were high.
    No medication since last year thanks to my low sugar diet. I am a believer.

I know that reducing or eliminating sugar is a very touchy subject for some of the folks here on MFP, but I avoid it as much as I can.
    I don't differentiate between "natural sugar" and the fake stuff. Sugar is Sugar.
    If I eat an apple I count that towards my daily sugar intake.

I consider fruit to be a treat because of its high sugar content, thus I don't eat much fruit. Maybe one piece a week.
    Its true that eating an apple is better than drinking a glass of apple juice, but your sucking in a lot of sugar regardless of which way you take it in. Everything in moderation and that includes sugar.

I don't subscribe to the idea of removing it from your MFP so you don't see it.
    You cant ignore something as important as sugar.

Watch the video, do the research and come to some sort of happy medium.
    I'm not saying you should eliminate every gram of sugar cause clearly that is nearly impossible.
    It is great to treat ourselves from time to time, but I do my best to stay under 20 grams and its not as impossible as it sounds once you start eating healthier foods.

Hope this video helps. WARNING, its a pretty long video given by a professor at UC, so it might not be very exciting.
    I think he does a great job of detailing how sugar gets used by the body. The video gets easier to follow after the first 5 min.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    Thanks! I wanna watch this again. I don't track my 'sugar' on here but track my carbs instead, it would drive me too crazy too!:laugh:
    In Marion Nestle's book What To Eat, she says the sugar industry influenced the Nutrition Info rules to lump processed and natural sugars into one category.
    Another great book to look for, you're full of ideas for books, love it, thanks!!
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Here in Holland they have a separeted index for added Sugar on the pakkage of food.
    Keep that low.

And if U mannage to do a program on 100% fat or 100% carbs or 100% protien it wil work.

It's all about the callories.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I too was constantly over on my sugar intake.
    Last year there were some folks that posted this video and the information was enlightening.

I have since reduced sugar intake to under 20g per day and it has done wonders for me.
    I have lost weight, my cholesterol is back to normal cause my triglycerides dropped dramatically.
    I have had high triglycerides my entire adult life, and even with medication they were high.

I know that reducing or eliminating sugar is a very touchy subject for some of the folks here on MFP, but I avoid it as much as I can.
    I don't differentiate between "natural sugar" and the fake stuff. Sugar is Sugar.

I consider fruit to be a treat because of its high sugar content, thus I don't eat much fruit. Maybe one piece a week.
    Its true that eating an apple is better than drinking a glass of apple juice, but your sucking in a lot of sugar regardless of which way you take it in. Everything in moderation and that includes sugar.

Watch the video, do the research and come to some sort of happy medium.
    I'm not saying you should eliminate every gram of sugar cause clearly that is nearly impossible.
    It is great to treat ourselves from time to time, but I do my best to stay under 20 grams and its not as impossible as it sounds once you start eating healthier foods.

Hope this video helps. WARNING, its a pretty long video given by a professor at UC, so it might not be very exciting.
    I think he does a great job of detailing how sugar gets used by the body. The video gets easier to follow after the first 5 min.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    U try to go 30g or less.

Zara
  • Anne_16
    Anne_16 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm almost always over in sugar too, but am losing weight so not too concerned as I try to eat healthy. Maybe if I plateau with my weight loss, I'll try to cut out more sugar. I know I'm getting extra sugar from fruit juices and fruit itself.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options

I agree, you shouldn't just put it on a back-burner and pretend everything will be fine, too much sugar in any form isn't the road to health. I also keep my sugars very low, I usually don't go over the number MFP recommends. There are fruits lower in sugar such as berries, which you could eat instead of other more high sugar fruits such as apples, bananas, oranges, etc. If you eat adequate veggies, nutrition lost from not eating fruit shouldn't be a problem at all!
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Full discosure: I AM a Type II diabetic, so my viewpoint is different. But the things they teach you in your nutrition classes for diabetes are these:

Fruit juice is sugar water. You've removed the fiber from the fruit - the most valuable part - and left the sugar. It's not a lot different from Kool-Aid at that point.

Sugar is sugar. The only reason it's marginally acceptable in whole fruit form is because of the fiber, which slows the digestion of sugar.

A breakfast of fruit, granola, and yogurt is mostly sugar with a very minor amount of fiber and protein. Just because it's low in fat doesn't make it good for you.

Any name ending in "-ose" is a sugar. This includes lactose - aka "milk sugar" - which is present in any dairy product.

White rice = sugar
    White flour = sugar
    Potatoes = sugar

That about sums it up. The only white food I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't actually have a negative impact on blood sugar is cauliflower.

If you think that your sugar intake isn't important because you're not diabetic, think again. How do you think Type II diabetics get that way? And, furthermore, how do you know you're not diabetic? I had no symptoms; my diabetes was only revealed by repeated fasting blood tests.
  • estellem75
    estellem75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    NHS says women should have no more than 50g of sugar and men 70g. Ooops, guess my days total of 99 is too high!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.

I kind of disagree with this type of thinking. If over-consumption of sugar can cause medical issues down the line, why not keep it within reasonable limits now to prevent such things. It's akin to saying "Oh, don't worry, you're healthy right now and eating unhealthy fast food for every meal doesn't seem to bother you, so go right ahead!"