please help! i cant stop bingeing!!

Options

Replies

• FrancklySara
    Options
    Have you ever though of trying an Overearters Anonymous meeting? For some of us, certain foods trigger a reaction in our bodies that is very simular to what happens when an alcoholic drinks alcohol. Two of my big triggers are sugar and MSG, but yours might be different. This may be more that a will power issue - maybe you need some help and support.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    IF is what helped me too. It isn't easy by any means but it helped me realize that I could control my behavior. A challenge so to say. I no longer do IF but still have the ability to control myself. Aside from the other good suggestions the truth is, you have to really want to stop. There is no magical ingredient that will make you stop overeating. You could try keeping yourself busy and away from food sources. I clean my house when I feel the urge to sit around and eat. Also as someone else said, don't keep junk food in your house.

Mind over matter.

You can do it!!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the 'bad food', make sure your calorie goal is appropriate and you're getting all the nutrients you need, and find a hobby. sounds like you're bored.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    journaling

take a 3 ring binder, some dividers, filler paper

divide in 3 sections

section 1 thankful section when you are tempted to binge write down 5 things you are thankful for

section 2 mind dumping journal write down anything you may be feeling, or why you think you are binge eating or want to.

section 3 positive affirmation write 5 things you like about yourself

sometimes we binge because we are not eating enough through the day or are dealing with stress, emotional issues etc

they have some binge eating groups here on mfp also

binge eating support, binge eating challenging, etc.
  • jyneefur
    jyneefur Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things I've started doing to fix the same problem.. Maybe they could work for you, maybe not. Everyone's different. :)

- I started eating breakfast within an hour of waking up (ideally within 30 minutes for better results). This breakfast usually has over 30g of protein (think: eggs), some beans for calories and the "full" feeling, and veggies to round it out.

- Water. Lots and lots of water. While the 8x8oz guideline is better than what most people drink, many reports show that people need even more than that. I've been trying to drink around 12-8oz servings.

- WRITE IT DOWN! When I go into the kitchen to refill my water cup, I see things that my brain is like "Ooooh.. WANT TO EAT RAWR!!" I haven't thrown away all the bad stuff in my house because I'm not the only one that lives here. But what I started to do is write down when I get a really strong craving to eat something bad. On my lifestyle-diet, I have a "cheat" day in which I can eat the bad stuff on the list... if I still want to by the time that day comes around. Knowing that I'll be able to eat the cupcakes later is like a promise to my brain and I can keep myself from bingeing on it right then and there. Come cheat day, I don't even want to eat half the things on the list anymore.

- Another thing I've started to do when food occupies my mind is exercise. That's pretty cliche, but it makes my brain concentrate on meeting my exercise goal (mph, distance, repetitions, etc) and then it's no longer thinking about wanting to eat all of Olive Garden. After the workout, I'm on an endorphine high and I'm glowing from meeting whatever goals I had set for myself.. I'm too busy basking in the glory to think about eating an entire restaurant.

Whatever you find helps you on your journey, stick with it. Good luck!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I see you have many empty days in your food diary. You must log even the binge days. Every bite in your m outh goes in your log. It can be quite shocking to see but I know it helps me keep things under control. Numbers don't lie.
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things I agree with that I've picked up around here, but I am by no means a nutritionist:

1) Eat more protein. Not only does it fill you up faster, but it also stays with you longer.

2) Drink more water. A lot of times we mistake thirst for hunger, and considering that approximately 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated, this is probably happening to you.

3) Make small changes because they last longer. What I mean by that is getting it into your head that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. In order to keep your new lifestyle going, you should not deprive yourself of foods that you love. Just be conscious of exactly how much you're eating. You have a sweet tooth, awesome! Have some cake! But also recognize how many calories are in that piece of cake, and adjust the rest of your diet throughout the day accordingly.

4) This kinda goes back to the protein thing, but learn what foods fill you up the fastest and stay with you the longest and center your main diet around those foods. Make them your biggest meals and just kind of fit your snack calories somewhere between them.

EDIT: 5) I'm highly guilty of this so I forgot to include it, but make absolutely sure that you log absolutely everything you eat. It's jarring, yes, but it's also a learning tool. You will eventually see your "problem foods" and learn to either stay away from them or how to eat around them.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Has it occurred to you that "satisfying your sweet tooth" may not be working for you? Yeah, crazy, I know. Sometimes avoiding problematic foods is the only way to go. But others will tell you it's just "willpower". Figure out how it is for you, deal with it, or don't. Up to you.
  • Raeambi
    Raeambi Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a problem with this too. I used to be constantly wanting food, even all the tips for "have dark chocolate to help that sweet tooth" or "eat more protein" didn't help as I wasn't actually hungry just wanted food, but I found a few things which helped.

I'm sure you heard before but have lots of water. Have a glass with you at all times. Drink a glass before and after each meal and inbetween.

Second, is not something which I'm going to tell you to do as different people have different ways. But I found that when I started eating breakfast that I constantly wanted food through out the day. So I went back to what my body was used to and what I always did, which was to not eat until 1ish in the day. I don't have a set time when I stop eating in the evening and usually eat until late, but I found that this helped dramatically. I'm not saying to go out and do this if you are used to eating breakfast, but just listen to your body and find out what's best.

I plan out my meals, or at least have a fair idea on what Im going to eat and when. I usually eat at 1ish, 5ish, 7ish and at 9ish. But if im peckish in between I do let myself have it just try and keep within calorie goal. I also have a black coffee at 3ish to keep me going till my next meal. I find this easier as then I know, that I only have to wait a certain time until I eat again.
    I have my biggest meal at 4, which is when I tend to start binging the most.
    I've recently started exercising and I find that the days when I do that, I'm less hungry through out the day. I usually exercise at 2-3, so it fills that gap between meals.

A big thing I will say is to not deprive yourself of sweet stuff and tasty snacks, but to actually plan them and fit them in with your diary. I always have something sweet every day and most says I leave this until my last "meal" and fit it in. I find that if I include the snack in the meal then I don't want to go back for seconds when its full. E.G If I'm having an apple with peanut butter and toast then I also put the biscuit on the plate with them rather than picking in the biscuit tin later. Its an odd trick, but I find it works.

Oh and do the usual, eat slowly and take your time so you feel fuller.

It gets easier, I promise.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting for the win! I love it and its really helped with my bingeing.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I usually get burned at the stake for suggesting this.... BUT.... it is for the greater good. So here it is: cut out wheat. After a week or so make a note of your eating. If you still binge, go on a whole foods only plan. Again, make a note of how your body feels and how your appetite goes. Reintroduce other foods once a week. Maybe bring the dairy back first, then non-wheat/gluten grains, then wheat. See what changes and when. Yes, this will take you time. But it is worth it to see what happens to your body upon bring back certain dietary evils. Wheat is the largest because it is in things you wouldn't even think of. Soup, salad dressing etc... It is in every cookie, and cracker on the store shelf unless the package says otherwise. It's worth the time to to do this. I am very glad I took the time to do it too. Now I am no longer binging after binging for years.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    This is not about what you are eating. It's about you not exercising any control over your own behaviour.

You may want to consider talking to a therapist.

So wrong. What we eat really does matter. I cured binging disorder by changing WHAT I eat and don't eat. NO therapy ever helped. Nor did low fat/low calorie dieting and "filling up" with water. Many supposed psychological disorders are really physiological. True story.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater. I can still binge when alone, bored, tired, etc. What I binge on since I started is lettuce, celery, flavored waters, etc. Anything with a high fiber-low calorie-high water content.

My weakness was anything on bread or crackers, so on 1/1/13 I stopped eating anything with sugar or wheat in it. I have gone from 239 to 217 with this and my daily calorie count.

I am also doing 400+ calories a day of walking and weightlifting, then I DO NOT EAT THOSE CALORIES.

Binge on salads and green veggies. It works.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    And here I thought I was the only weird person who does better skipping breakfast! I used to get that "hangry" feeling constantly, no matter how much water, protein, whole foods, etc. (I even had to have my husband hide his snacks). I started IF (16/8) and found I was much less hungry, never "hangry" anymore and was able to keep within my calorie goals with relative ease. Am I perfect now? Oh, no, not by a long shot! But, it works so much better for me than anything else. It's the reason I'm still trying to lose weight as I was already at my goal. With less hunger and feeling better, a lower weight actually seems possible, hence the lowered goal.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Just like other people are saying, get that stuff out of your house!! You don't need it, and neither does any one else that lives with you. If you are having trouble with self control, this is the best thing to do Also, join a support and make yourself accountable to someone.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This is not about what you are eating. It's about you not exercising any control over your own behaviour.

^^ this. You need to work through whatever is causing you to binge all the time. This is coming from someone who has the same problem. I know that it comes from feelings of anxiety, stuff that I need to learn to deal with in better ways than putting food in my mouth. It does't help cure my feelings, it's just a temporary distraction.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

So wrong. What we eat really does matter. I cured binging disorder by changing WHAT I eat and don't eat. NO therapy ever helped. Nor did low fat/low calorie dieting and "filling up" with water. Many supposed psychological disorders are really physiological. True story.

Brain Over Binge is a great read. It can be both psycho and physiological, but you can fix the binge separately from the pyschological issues. Eventually the psychological triggers aren't even necessary to initiate the binge, its become a habit. Some foods have addictive properties but its nothing like what a person experiences with drugs or alcohol.

Your body knows what it needs... when you give it a nutritionally balanced diet, a lot of the cravings will go away because your body's NEEDS are satisfied.

Things that have helped me personally:
    1) Don't buy binge triggering foods
    2) Allow yourself to eat ^ foods in a controlled setting like out to dinner, around other people, in portion controlled packets
    3) MACROS MACROS MACROS, get enough fats and protein and fill the rest in with carbs. I recommend 1g per lb of lean body mass for protein or 0.8 g per lb of bodyweight and 0.3 g per lb of bodyweight for fat. Fat and protein tend to be more satiating. Also, adequate protein helps lessen LBM loss aka muscle loss while eating in a deficit.
    4) Drink enough water, I try to drink water or tea when I first get a craving and then see how I feel after that... might be a placebo effect but it has worked for me
    5) Intermittent fasting... I eat two small snacks (<300 cals) before my workout and a few cups of black tea or coffee throughout the day, I have a habit of bingeing post workout, so I let myself do it. But its not a binge anymore since I have the calories left, its just a big dinner. Time your meals however its convenient for you... IF is convenient for me, but multiple small meals might be convenient for you. In the grand scheme of things, meal timing and frequency is COMPLETELY PREFERENTIAL.
    6) Cut out the intense cardio... when I was running a lot like 15-30 miles a week I was ALWAYS hungry, like absolutely ravenous and craving things like high cal carbs. I've noticed that come back a little bit since starting back up CrossFit but with IF I'm able to mitigate the effects of high cal meals a bit. Instead, LIFT HEAVY THINGS a few times a week and if you do cardio, don't go too crazy with it unless its something you genuinely enjoy.
    7) Plan ahead, I don't plan each meal per say, but I do eat nearly the same things for the 300cal PWO snacks and I do a lot of meal prep on my off days. That way I don't have to root through a fridge with potential binge food to find what I want to eat. I keep easy side items on hand like sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts and I try to keep my fridge/freezer stocked with proteins that I have already cooked (either almost completely or completely) that I can heat up and pair with an easy side and boom, brainless but healthy dinner is done.

For the record, I don't think carbs are evil. Each person has their preferences. I prefer and also feel better when I am making sure to get adequate protein and fat FIRST, then I fill in what's left with carbs.
  • swagtier
    swagtier Posts: 53
    Options
    It's mostly psychological I'm sure. You have to somewhat talk yourself down-- "do I really need this right now?" "Am I really hungry, or am I just eating this because I'm bored/upset/whatever your reason is?" If you're honest with yourself and conscious with what you eat, you can overcome it. Good luck :)
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water- sometimes dehydration can present as hunger!