Thyroid blood test normal? Maybe not...

Options
124»

Replies

• TomeS03
    TomeS03 Posts: 4
    Options
    Very important to be involved with your own physical & mental health AND medical conditions. No one knows you better than yourself. Never be afraid to go (or look) where no man (or doctor) has gone before. No one can know all the answers. . . . Good luck!
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just started on Armour Thyroid a few weeks ago. I haven't noticed anything yet. My body does NOT want to release the weight! I have been having some other painful issues in my lower G.I. Tract, which makes exercise very uncomfortable, but I know I really need to increase my workouts. I hope that my symptoms go away soon, and that I start to lose some of this extra fat! I'm glad you posted about hypothyroid. I'm anxious to hear how you all are doing.
  • kitty_764
    kitty_764 Posts: 64
    Options
    Get an appt with an endocrinologist and get yourself a second opinion!!!
    Thanks! I just got my labs mailed to me and the normal range is .35 to 6.0. Everything I've read is that the new normal is under 3.0.
    Hopefully I can get my Dr. to give me a referral. Thanks again!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

if she doesn't prescribe levothyroxine what does she prescribe?
    She prescribes Synthroid only and no generics.

Synthroid is a brand name for levothyroxine.
    Thanks for catching that!!! I misspoke:blushing: , I was on Levoxyl, another brand name... and THAT is what my ENT will no longer prescribe!!! She has had much greater success with Synthroid.

Yeah the specifics can change things. I love being on eltroxin, but on the goldshield levothyroxine i wasn't as healthy. changes back to eltroxin, and boom. Healthier, fewer symptoms!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I just started on Armour Thyroid a few weeks ago. I haven't noticed anything yet. My body does NOT want to release the weight! I have been having some other painful issues in my lower G.I. Tract, which makes exercise very uncomfortable, but I know I really need to increase my workouts. I hope that my symptoms go away soon, and that I start to lose some of this extra fat! I'm glad you posted about hypothyroid. I'm anxious to hear how you all are doing.

you won't lose weight until your levels stabilise. You can set thge groundwork now with excercise and healthy eating, but it will take a while to catch up x
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Your thyroid can affect your GI stuff too. that's actually how I know when my levels are off, by how my digestion/stomach behaves.
    Below is an excerpt from an online article.
    “The thyroid regulates several functions in the body and the digestive tract is one of the systems,” explains Dr. Alaradi.

If the thyroid produces too much hormone (hyperthyroidism), it speeds up the digestive tract, resulting in diarrhea and abdominal cramps, he says.

On the other hand, an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) slows down the digestive tract, potentially leading to pain from constipation and gas."