Weight, What??

Options
Ok...... I need help with Weights!
I am 262lbs, and I started going to gym last month after losing my first stone..... Thing is - I am terrified of loose skin!!
I know it will more than likely be inevitable that I will have some once I finish my journey but I would like to start using weights to help tone my skin and muscles. (God I hope I don't sound like a complete dweeb and that makes sense ha)

Can someone please tell me everything I should be doing/buying and explain it like you are talking to my 2 year old!!
I have never used weights, no clue on sizes/weight or how long I should do it or what positions.....

Give me everything you got pleaseeeee!!! Thank you muchlies!! :)

Replies

• catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There is more to free weight training than can easily be explained in a post on an online forum. I'd suggest starting with either a book (Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women are two of the most common) or with a personal trainer at your gym. Don't go out amd buy weights until you know what kind of program you want to folllow, if you have a gym membership already they should have everything you need.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    - Lift heavy
    - Eat a REASONABLE deficit (TDEE - 15%)
    - Drink water
    - Find a program (Strong lifts, New Rules of Lifting)
    - READ

Here is an awesome group with tons of information. If you truly want to learn, read all the stickies, then ask questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Thing is - I am terrified of loose skin!!

Listen lose weight slowly, drink plenty of water, workout and do not worry about loose skin, It is better than being Fat, I have lost over 114 pounds and look like F'N Shar pei without a shirt but I feel great and look pretty decent in clothes, plus it is getting better everyday, time or plastic surgery are the only answers and I chose time for now. Good luck and take one step at a time do not worry about the effects of weight loss until you Lose weight.