• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Step 1) don't keep junk in the house
    Step 2) find an activity
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    First of do not stock up on junk foods at home or anything unhealthy knowing you're going to binge on that later on. If it's not there then there's no way for you to eat it unless you hop in your car and drive to the nearest convenience store, if you do that will be a shame. Are you harboring some kind of problem, are you stressed? tackle on the underlying reason why you are doing this to yourself.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If you fail to plan, plan to fail. Meal plan every meal and snack ahead of time. It's easy.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Nobody can help you except you. Have some self control already.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this before and I might not be able to help you but I'll just tell you what helped me. It's controversial, but I found that if I ate breakfast, I was hungry the entire rest of the day and couldn't be filled up or stop thinking about eating anything I could get my hands on. After I replaced breakfast with coffee with soy milk and stevia, I completely lost that horrible anxious feeling that always made me feel like I couldn't get enough to eat.
    I also can't have anything with sugar in it or I get addicted and obsessed with sweets and it overrides my determination to be healthy and balanced. I allow a treat 1-2x a week of my favorite organic trail mix or some wine, but the rest of the week I eat almost entirely veggies and it's made my HUGE sweet tooth dissappear. When I want something sweet, I simply go for iced coffee with sugar free caramel syrup and cinnamon, or a diet root beer. It's not 100% clean because of the artificial sweetener but considering I've lost several sizes since I started doing this and my anxiety is gone, that's almost priceless to me and very much worth it in the long run!
    Good luck, I know how desperate and upset you can get when your cravings are undermining your weight loss goals.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Things that are too heavy in salt, sugar and fat trigger excess eating for me. Even if my healthy foods are delicious, it's hard to go overboard on them.

Binge eating is a bad habit to break but necessary to lose or maintain weight. Wrap and pre-portion your food so you are eating every couple of hours and hitting goal for the day. Lower your current calories slowly to goal, if your body is used to a lot more.

Moderation is the key to everything. There is no off limit food, but you must be able to indulge with a little caution. Those hunger hormones won't be so harsh if you get more protein / fiber during meals and allow yourself a treat every now and then.
  • tink082292
    Options
    This is not about what you are eating. It's about you not exercising any control over your own behaviour.

You may want to consider talking to a therapist.

I have had two eating disorders, bingeing being the third. I just can't get control of my eating habits. I have an unhealthy relationship with food. And I've spent four years with a therapist trying to figure out how to fix it.
  • tink082292
    Options
    journaling

take a 3 ring binder, some dividers, filler paper

divide in 3 sections

section 1 thankful section when you are tempted to binge write down 5 things you are thankful for

section 2 mind dumping journal write down anything you may be feeling, or why you think you are binge eating or want to.

section 3 positive affirmation write 5 things you like about yourself

sometimes we binge because we are not eating enough through the day or are dealing with stress, emotional issues etc

they have some binge eating groups here on mfp also

binge eating support, binge eating challenging, etc.

I love this idea! Thank you!
  • gigglinangel
    gigglinangel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Girl my heart goes out to you. This used to be me. I tried every diet under the sun and they never worked because I would just binge. I finally realized in July 2011 that I have binge eating disorder. I read food the good girls drug and worked all that summer on the things she suggests to do in the book. I have been in recovery for over a year now. So I reccommend you get that book if you haven't read it yet. It totally changed my life.

I have been working for the past almost 2 years on my emotional issues and things I've gone through. I am a survivor and for a long time I was so broken and damaged emotionally and that is a big reason why I turned to food. I went through therapy and worked on my emotional issues and now I feel I am finally ready to work on my physical health. I've been exercising and eating right since Feb and I feel amazing. I am doing this now because I finally love me and I know I deserve it.

You deserve it too. So I suggest keep going to therapy and working on your emotional health. Healing comes slowly but it does come. Also read that book. It will help with the emotional issues and help you to get in recovery. Also don't try and go on any strict diets because it will make the binge eating disorder worse. I'm here for ya! You can do this!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Logic tells me if you wont follow your own compass, why should I even bother giving advice that I doubt you will heed? You either accomplish or fail. What will make the difference?

BTW I bounced around Fortuna, West Hope, Maxbass, Bottineau, & Minot last year. ND people are top drawer.

Good luck.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Here is what stopped me YMMV

1. Eating a higher fiber diet. My fiber was way low before, now it's a moderate amount I think.

2. Not buying junk food or foods that tripped my trigger, one of many examples popcorn I will eat a whole microwave bag of that. I can control how much I eat of air popped much better so I will eat that.

3. More fruits and veggies. I think it's ok to binge on carrots as long as you don't turn orange.

4. Lower calorie breakfast to accommodate more food later if I really need it. So, I will have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning and then I have plenty to go for lunch and dinner. I am usually to full from the oatmeal to eat a snack between breakfast and lunch.

5. A large gap of time between dinner and bed time. I find that I am ok going to bed hungry as long as I am not ravenous.

You got this. And as many have said their are RL support options out there.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This is not about what you are eating. It's about you not exercising any control over your own behaviour.

You may want to consider talking to a therapist.

So wrong. What we eat really does matter. I cured binging disorder by changing WHAT I eat and don't eat. NO therapy ever helped. Nor did low fat/low calorie dieting and "filling up" with water. Many supposed psychological disorders are really physiological. True story.

It can be both. But I can tell you that changing my diet never did anything (including cutting carbs/going primal). I would simply just end up postponing my binge until I couldn't take the anxiety that I was feeling anymore and just start stuffing my face until I felt sick.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Okay my eating has gotten so out of hand. I eat and eat all day long. I mean constantly munching on everything. Cookies, brownies, tuna, tomatoes, etc. It's like I'm never really full. I get headaches and feel I'll but I'll still have a cookie or two for "snack". It's like all day is food time.

Everyday I say "oh I messed up by eating blah blah, so I'll start eating better tomorrow" then I end up eating every unhealthy thing in the house. I can't keep saying it, I have to start a different lifestyle. But yet it feels so hopeless.

Any suggestions to help with stopping constant bingeing?
    Any foods I could munch on that wouldn't be super high in calories but still satisfy my sweet tooth?

Thanks a million. :)
    Tina
    You'll stop yourself. If not, then you're not CONVINCED that you should be on a plan.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a pound of farmers' market strawberries (NOT grocery store strawberries... those things taste like $5 of water) and shove one in your mouth every time you think about getting another snack. They're incredibly sweet instead of bland, and the sugar is enough to hold you over from needing the snack vs. wanting it.

Between doing that and reading what horrible *kitten* is in some of the stuff I like eating, this has helped me get my boredom/anxiety munchies under cover and in control.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There's some really good advice here. I have been a binge-eater over the years. Several things set me off on binges: Having things around that tempt me, i.e. cake - - I no longer buy or bake a cake because I know that I will eat the whole thing before morning. I have finally realized that eating sugary empty calories only makes me want more. I can remember eating a candy bar and not even enjoying it because I was fixated on eating the next one. That memory helps me. And, of course, everyone is different. I am better without any sugary treats. And, if I am feeling deprived, I say to myself "Why eat this; I already know what it tastes like!" I have tried working a candy bar into my limited calorie allotment. What I find is that it takes up so many calories and is so unsatisfying that I end up overeating because I am too hungry for REAL food. Then, because I have "failed" that day, I give myself permission to continue to binge, thus undermining my efforts. Again, a memory I can use.

A treat that I allow myself every day is a non-fat, no sugar, vanilla yogurt into which I stir 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. It's a nice-sized dessert for 100 calories and contains REAL food with actual nutrients that satisfy hunger. Good luck on your journey!
  • nurseellen1120
    nurseellen1120 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As Pink Turnip noted, hot tea really helps me a lot
  • tink082292
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I read every single comment and I must say I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to try a couple things. A) intermittent fasting and B) strictly raw food.

I have gone 4 months of just eating raw foods, fish, chicken, no bread or pasta. I just can't seem to remember how I did it. I remember after the first couple weeks the cravings subsided and I felt great. I wasn't lethargic and I had tons of energy.

I will find that oomph! I got this! I will lose weight and I will succeed.

<3 thank you
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I read every single comment and I must say I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to try a couple things. A) intermittent fasting and B) strictly raw food.

I have gone 4 months of just eating raw foods, fish, chicken, no bread or pasta. I just can't seem to remember how I did it. I remember after the first couple weeks the cravings subsided and I felt great. I wasn't lethargic and I had tons of energy.

<3 thank you

Why strictly raw food? I would suggest eating MOSTLY whole foods, minimally processed as much as possible, hit your macros with those items and then enjoy a few things you really like. You will still see the same benefits like the added energy and you won't be thrown back into a horrible binge episode because of deprivation.

I like the attitude though, staying positive as much as possible is a big part of all of this!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a single day in your diary that looked like a binge - but it appears you do not fill it out every day? or you just "quick ad calories" instead of putting the food in...but for the three days I found, your calories were not even what I eat each day and I still lose weight.

Are you really binging or just eating more than 1200 calories a day?
  • tink082292
    Options

<3 thank you

Why strictly raw food? I would suggest eating MOSTLY whole foods, minimally processed as much as possible, hit your macros with those items and then enjoy a few things you really like. You will still see the same benefits like the added energy and you won't be thrown back into a horrible binge episode because of deprivation.

I like the attitude though, staying positive as much as possible is a big part of all of this!

Oh this is what I meant. Thank you. :)