Question for people working in hospitals!

Options
Hi all - I'm a medical student heading into my 3rd year rotations this summer. I'm curious how you eat while you're in the hospital? If you're at a teaching hospital, have you witnessed any med students taking lunch breaks? Or any breaks at all?

I'm just imagining myself constantly on-the-go, getting a few granola bars in throughout the day... I really would like to pack meals, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. Also, I don't want to be eating 10 minute meals while my fellow students take 1 minute to chow down a granola bar - know what I mean?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely need to pre-pack meals if you want to stay healthy. Quick on the go snacks are best for throughout the shift but you'll need to take a break and actually eat something at some point- don't worry you'll have time. And sometimes you just have to say to yourself (and others) that it's insane to go through an entire shift without a lunch break. People tend to go overboard with stressing themselves out about it--your patient will LIVE if you take a break to eat something. I'm an ER nurse at a level 1 trauma hospital and even I have to tell my coworkers that I'll bite their head off if I don't eat something. Just plan EVERYTHING you'll allow yourself to eat in the amount of time that you'll be there (I do an entire day worth of meals for the 12 hours I will be there and don't let myself eat when I get home) Unless you're in an ER you'll most likely have time to take a break for a meal and even in the ER you can find a little nook somewhere to eat while you chart without patients staring at you.
  • weesinglane
    Options
    Whew, that makes me feel so much better! Thanks :)
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm a paramedic and it is a nightmare trying to eat healthily on the move!..we do 12hr shifts too....during a night shift the only food options are mcdonalds or the filling station!.....so i started spreading pb2 mixed with jam onto rice cakes and put into a food bag and keep in my rucksack to have until i can get back to the station (if i get back lol!) and get my meal that i have in the fridge or some oatmeal.....i also have protein bars and a small tub of mixed fruit and nuts to nibble on along with a few bottles of water!:wink:
    i get up early if i am on days and make 2 smoothies with frozen fruit, greek yoghurt, celery, seeds, ginger,and vanilla...put them in shaker bottles ....otherwise it is too easy to snack on junk food!
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi. I'm a student midwife and I always take a packed lunch. Also I don't take extra food, cause if it's there with me I WILL eat it. I also crave junk food on my breaks so I try not to take money with me or I'll track down the nearest vending machine lol. I've seen medical students taking breaks - that's the good thing about being a student. You should have enough time to eat a full meal so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Try make having a substantial break a priority. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it. You have the right to a proper break, and you're in charge of making sure you get one.
    :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Eating one big meal a day is the same thing as eating 5 small meals a day and it is still considered healthy. Get your macros all in one meal and you can go about the rest of the day without having to worry about eating a snack or planning any of your meals. Your one meal a day could be dinner or breakfast, it's up to you. Obviously, I'm just some random person on the internet so you probably will not take my word for it and you don't have too since there is a real Licensed Dietitian on these forums, licensed by the state of Texas. You can ask him in the link below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13155-ask-the-dietitian

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I remeber those days! Lol. Scared to take a lunch break. If you're precepting with a nurse on the unit, just let her know that you're taking your lunch, granted your instructor gives you permission, I guess. If you're mostly just with the instructor, then I would ask. I for one like to keep a protein bar in my purse. There are some days when I don't have time to take one, but I'm also a smoker, and would rather smoke then go sit down and have a nice meal. So I grab the protein bar on my way to go smoke. Lol. I know I'm horrible n shouldn't smoke. Good luck to you on your nursing career! :D
  • WVMedicineMom
    WVMedicineMom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, packed lunches are the way to go. You can't count on cafeteria food being healthy. You have no idea what it's cooked in/with and what the calorie content is. I work 12-hr shifts as an RN. On my work days, I usually have a protein shake for breakfast with a banana or other fruit blended in. I take snacks such as Greek yogurt, fruit, peanut butter, and a pre-made meal such as chili, soup, sandwhich, leftovers from dinner. This way I know how many calories are in my meals. I also try to pass up the free stuff people bring, such as donuts, birthday cake, etc. My beverages as work are usually just water or coffee.
  • bizzyeck
    bizzyeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am an RN not a med student but it's all pretty close. I always take my food. I plan it all! Drinks, salad, fruit, snacks. And I make it clear I am eating my lunch. I will sneak my break in where I can but lunch I am taking!

I work with 1 MD who uses bars all the time. They are small and fit in her lab coat. She is not on a weight loss program but she uses bars from Medifast (which I know nothing about) and she uses protein shakes.

The reason you must plan is because someone is always bringing in crap to share. You must be prepared or you will give in. Dr's lounge is a bit different than the nurses lounge but there will still be bad food around. Also, I agree you cannot count on the cafeteria food. When I started reading the fat and sodium content in our cafe, I sent a note to the chef weekly! Believe it or not it did make a difference and I notice it had improved a bit.

It's great you are thinking about it. Healthcare workers tend to skip meals and eat poorly even though we tell PT's otherwise. Good luck.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    med student as well - keep snacks in your white coat, that was a big thing for me

and avoid a lot of the free foods they will give out to residents (IE candy canes around christmas time, cookies etc.) Attendings will usually take you into the physicians lounges which will usually have some healthy and unhealthy options - dont be bashful all attendings were med students once, so feel free to load up your coat with a couple granola bars.

couple items I like are
    Quest bars - high protein and super super high fiber, keep really well in the pocket
    Starkist tuna packs - high protein, low calorie
    Kashi cereal bars, usually on hand in lounges so I will pilfer these

most hospitals I rotate at seem to have subways as well, so you can get a decent meal there, albeit high in sodium - its doable even during my core surge rotations/IM rotations which are the busiest I was able to eat pretty decently

good luck with rotations!!

Edit: also if you are worried about time you can typically eat during any presentation (grandrounds, morning report, teaching rounds that are in classrooms) your attending/resident wont care about you eating while listening
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm a student RT just about to graduate and in the middle of my final practicum right now. I rotate around to different hospitals doing different specialty rotations, and I never know what the facilities will be like- whether there will be a fridge or not, etc. For at least the first day I bring portable food that doesn't need refrigeration, like protein bars. I also make a protein shake to drink on my way in. As an RT I do get breaks during my shifts, but I never know when they will be or when my preceptor and I will be called to a unit. Just go prepared- pack, pack, pack!
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and I have started pre packing my meals for my 12 hour shifts. I spend way less money and there is absolutely nothing for a healthy option in the hospital I work at which in my opinion is ridiculous!!
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've kept baggies of carrots or raisins or some such in my shirt pocket under my lab coat. When I find I have a minute or two I'll wash my hands and reach into the baggie for a little munch break to hold me over until I can have a full meal. Remember, your brain needs the nutrition as much as your body. You won't be doing anyone any favors if you can't concentrate and focus and retain the info you need to know. Good luck.
  • FrancklySara
    Options
    I know this goes against what a lot of diet experts tell us, but it works for me - I eat very little through out the day, then have a big meal when I get home. My dinner is usually between 800 and 1100 calories, but I make sure it's healthy food - tons of vegetables, plenty of protein and some good fat. My stand by is a bag of frozen vegetables tossed in the microwave for five mintes, a can of chicken breast or tuna, a cut up avocado or tables spoon of olive oil and a small scoop of cottage cheese. Ready in less than 10 minutes! I often get home late, eat this big meal around 9 or 10 PM and then go straight to bed. I know it's not ideal, but that's the only time I have to eat a real meal most days. Through out the rest of my day, I snack on vegetables (raw string beans and snap peas travel really well and don't get stuck in your teeth) and almonds. 7 almonds is only 50 calories, but the fat keeps me from getting hungry for a good 3 hours, and it keeps my brain going. Good luck!
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • RUGGEDGerit
    Options
    I am an ICU and trauma bay respiratory therapist. I work 12 hour night shifts, all 3 shifts for the week in a row. I have been working that schedule for 20 years. What works for me is meals that can be eaten in 2-3 min, usually finger food, always healthy. I eat every 3 hours. Ouside of a situation where we have a fresh trauma coming in at that very minute, I can find 3 minutes to eat. By doing it that way, my BS never dips and is always stable. When I have a stable BS, I am not tempted to cheat, "just this once" Because I work all 3 nights in a row, I make up all the food the morning of my 1st shift. I have it packed in color coded tupperware, (I know OCD), that way if the family looks in the fridge, they instantly know that is my lunch food and not to eat it on pain of death. I also keep a protein shake or 2, the premixed ones from Sam's club, in my lunch bag. If I have a bad night, I drink one of those as an extra meal, rather then, "just run down to the cafe for a minute"
  • AMAYAROSE35
    Options
    You'll definitely need to pre-pack meals if you want to stay healthy. Quick on the go snacks are best for throughout the shift but you'll need to take a break and actually eat something at some point- don't worry you'll have time. And sometimes you just have to say to yourself (and others) that it's insane to go through an entire shift without a lunch break. People tend to go overboard with stressing themselves out about it--your patient will LIVE if you take a break to eat something. I'm an ER nurse at a level 1 trauma hospital and even I have to tell my coworkers that I'll bite their head off if I don't eat something. Just plan EVERYTHING you'll allow yourself to eat in the amount of time that you'll be there (I do an entire day worth of meals for the 12 hours I will be there and don't let myself eat when I get home) Unless you're in an ER you'll most likely have time to take a break for a meal and even in the ER you can find a little nook somewhere to eat while you chart without patients staring at you.

Agree with her~ I am a Med/Surg, Peds, OB/NICU RN and I always have to pre-pack food, and carry protein bars in my scrubs or locker. You need to take a break to re-fuel and it is best if you can bring your own food in. Others have said on here that Subway is a good choice if your hospital has one. Good Luck~
  • tigger9759
    tigger9759 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I worked at an academic hospital and med school for 7 years and DH is an ED doctor...yeah, sorry but these people saying to demand a break aren't being realistic of a student on rotation. You will get a chance to eat, but it's incredibly variable; I'm sure different hospitals are different, but our med students didn't even have anywhere to put their food! Obviously some rotations are better than others and have more predictable schedules; and I know you know this, but if the other people on your team aren't getting a break don't ask for one. Hang in there, it's a long journey but very worth it :smile:
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I was a junior doc, I rarely got time for a break, or if I did get a break, my pager would always go off in the middle of it. We used to get meal vouchers if we worked over 10hours so I would eat lots of junk from the cafeteria for free. Let's just say, I gained weight. food was something you ate on the journey between theatre and clinic and the wards.

I suggest if you have somewhere to keep small snacks handy like a coat pocket or a locker or a drawer at the nurses station, then make sure there's always something there. Avoid the cafeteria, there's too many temptations. That said, you are going to be on your feet all day - get a pedometermtomsee how far you walk, you'll be surprised. I always climbed stairs because the lifts were too slow.
  • weesinglane
    Options
    Thanks for your input, everyone! Looks like it'll be tough, but still do-able... can't wait! :D
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not working atm, but I just pictured being a pt and a doctor comes in and just starts eating a granola bar..."Yeah no, go ahead, I'm listening *crunch*" I know this won't happen but I had to laugh at the image :laugh: