I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! I THOUGHT I DID., BUT NOPE!

Options
Ok, so I've increased my activity to include some strength training. As a result, I know I need to fuel my body but I'm not doing too well. I was losing weight beforehand and feeling great! Now I feel bloated and heavy. I feel like my belly has started to blow up. I am a very unhappy woman right now. I went from feeling sexy & happy to feeling sloppy & unhealthy.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :sad:

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    People won't be able to help you with your diary closed.
  • rosalenda
    rosalenda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's not... I'll check it, but it shows on the home page and my friends are able to review it.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It is viewable now. Your calories are all over the place but most of the time you are not eating nearly enough. I would try to keep you net calories at least above 1200 (though should probably be above 1400-1500).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When did you start the strength training? New workouts, especially weights, will cause muscles to retain water to repair and heal, which will show as weight gain on the scale. Not a big deal, it will drop back off. Not sure what to tell ya about feeling heavy and bloated.

Checked your diary - I'll agree with what you said about not doing to well fueling your body! :wink: Many days you're under 1200, and looks like you're not eating back exercise cals, even on high burn days? If your logging is accurate, both intake and exercise burns, you're not doing yourself any favors - netting 276 some days!! :noway:

I just posted this in another topic less than an hour ago - food is fuel, and goal means GOAL! Not several hundred calories under goal. :tongue: Especially if you're doing any sort of strength training, heck even if you're not exercising - eat too low for too long and you're giving your body a reason to store fat, not burn it. Metabolism will slow down to match the low calorie intake, making it more and more difficult to lose weight.

Give your body the fuel it needs, it will thank you for it!
  • rosalenda
    Options
    It was only viewable by my friends. I'm learning how to manage this site on my journey. lol :flowerforyou:
  • rosalenda
    Options
    Thank you both!

I started strength training last Monday. I worked super hard last week; getting in 2-4 hrs a day of cardio & strength. I did lost 1 lb in that week, but my measurements are pretty much the same. I really want to fuel my body. I'm not intentionally neglecting my body food, but my problem has been that I often don't finish up at the gym until around 8:30 pm, which is late. I do still try to eat something when I get home.

*How bad is it to eat following a 2-4 hr workout, late at night with very little activity after??
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    2-4 hrs of exercise a day is overkill. That is insane, it isn't always a case of more is better....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    2-4 hrs of exercise a day is overkill. That is insane, it isn't always a case of more is better....
    Another good point - it is possible to over train, and coupled with under eating, you set yourself for all kinds of problems. Great article on that there: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

I have had my best success over the past year eating according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

I'm 44, 5'8", stay at home mom, working out 5-6 days a week, about an hour a day, and eating 1800+ calories daily. And the fat and weight has come off like never before since I started eating this way. :bigsmile: My workouts are three days of weights with my dumbbells at home, and the other three days I run, average about 4 miles most days.I've reached goal weight, dropped to a size 4, and I look & feel better than I have in YEARS!

We don't have to eat low calories and "diet food" and go gonzo at the gym all week long to have success! What I do now is part of my lifestyle, and the changes were easy - so it's sustainable, something I can do for life, and keep the weight off and stay fit. :drinker:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1 week of strength training.. patience, patience patience.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!

I started strength training last Monday. I worked super hard last week; getting in 2-4 hrs a day of cardio & strength. I did lost 1 lb in that week, but my measurements are pretty much the same. I really want to fuel my body. I'm not intentionally neglecting my body food, but my problem has been that I often don't finish up at the gym until around 8:30 pm, which is late. I do still try to eat something when I get home.

*How bad is it to eat following a 2-4 hr workout, late at night with very little activity after??

2-4 HOURS! HOLY *kitten* that's iNSANE!!!! this isn't biggest loser. you need/must eat more. almonds and trail mix for dinner is NOT a healthy dinner. dominos pizza is not the best snack in the world. if you SERIOUSLY are working out 2-4 hours then EAT when you get home regardless of time you'll still burn fuel afterwards. if you continue at this pace you're going to burn yourself out and quit either that or injure yourself which is worse. slow down, it's a marathon not a sprint. stop starving yourself, eat something cut back on your exercising. the weight will come off.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!

2-4 HOURS! HOLY *kitten* that's iNSANE!!!! this isn't biggest loser. you need/must eat more. almonds and trail mix for dinner is NOT a healthy dinner. dominos pizza is not the best snack in the world. if you SERIOUSLY are working out 2-4 hours then EAT when you get home regardless of time you'll still burn fuel afterwards. if you continue at this pace you're going to burn yourself out and quit either that or injure yourself which is worse. slow down, it's a marathon not a sprint. stop starving yourself, eat something cut back on your exercising. the weight will come off.

This. You need rounded meals, OP.
  • rosalenda
    Options
    I added an additional snack place right before dinner & it mixed things up. I wanted my eating habits to be more accurate incase that had anything to do with what is going on, so everything before the day I posted this should be rearranged. They need to be moved downward following that first snack. I don't eat trail mix for dinner. lol
  • mein2007
    mein2007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site.. but I am not new to weight loss. You can actually case your body to hold on to weight by not eating enough during the day, especially if you are working out a lot. I once fainted from not eating enough (without knowing that I needed to add more calories for my exercise routine change). Even now, due to my exercise change (Haven't been running) I didn't realize that I needed to down my calories so I didn't lose anything for well over a month and was getting so discouraged. It is kinda a science it seems :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    2-4 hours a day is ridiculous. You do not need that level of exercise, and beyond a certain point, it can actually be detrimental to fat and weight loss. You will burn away all your muscle and totaly mess up your metabolism. I suggest learning how to do this the sensible way and stop treating your body like rubbish.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Are you competing on the biggest loser TV Show?

Otherwise you are doing WAAAY too much cardio. and eating way too little for the amount of work you are doing.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I'm eating close to 2k cals a day and working out 5-6 days a week. Some days I burn 600-800 calories according to my HRM. Last week, I ran 20 miles! 2 days are strength training. I've been on a higher caloried diet since beginning March and I'm just gaining gaining! I don't get it. It was so easy before to eat 1200-1400 calories, but everyone said to eat more, now it's "hard" to cut back! I hate this and the 10+ lbs that I gained!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    When you're doing strength training you need to ease up on the cardio. if strength training is the focus,
    you don't need very much or any carido.
    cardio helps with speeding recovery, and may help with weightloss or not.
    but it needs to be limited so you're not too tired to lift. along with proper rest and fuel.
  • munanabanana
    munanabanana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm probably just repeating what everyone else has already said, but 2-4 hours is far too much to do any good, and you should keep your calories AT LEAST at 1200, but preferably more given you don't want to burn out (especially if you're exercising a lot). Maybe smaller meals more often can be helpful?

But honestly when I get bloated its usually because I had too much sodium and didn't drink enough water (or its that time of the month), but same thing. I can combat it with more water. But that's just me, it doesn't have to be the same with you. I just wanted to mention it, in case it helps at all.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Good luck!! :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

This! That's just nuts.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Another good point - it is possible to over train, and coupled with under eating, you set yourself for all kinds of problems. Great article on that there: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

I have had my best success over the past year eating according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

I'm 44, 5'8", stay at home mom, working out 5-6 days a week, about an hour a day, and eating 1800+ calories daily. And the fat and weight has come off like never before since I started eating this way. :bigsmile: My workouts are three days of weights with my dumbbells at home, and the other three days I run, average about 4 miles most days.I've reached goal weight, dropped to a size 4, and I look & feel better than I have in YEARS!

We don't have to eat low calories and "diet food" and go gonzo at the gym all week long to have success! What I do now is part of my lifestyle, and the changes were easy - so it's sustainable, something I can do for life, and keep the weight off and stay fit. :drinker:

That's amazing........just shows you don't have to pay the expensive gym membership every month.....good for you!!!