If you had a misspelled tattoo..?

Options
Would you cover it up, remove it, or leave it alone?

My first tattoo was supposed to be the Chinese symbols for "love" and "life" Love is correct but my artist put the symbol for "long" instead which some people translate as "length" and you can imagine the jokes that have been made about it.
I'm debating covering it up, its on my shoulder, but I don't know what I would cover it with, I also have noticed its been fading a little bit over the last 4 years, so I debated getting it removed, but part of me just wants to leave it alone.

So I'm curious what others with misspelled tattoos have done, did you cover it, remove it, or leave it alone?

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If it was a standalone tattoo I would get it removed. If it was incorporated into a design I would look into getting it covered.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    First off, I would demand my money back!

And make the tattoo artist pay to have it removed.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How big is it? I think cover ups can turn out beautiful. What's something that symbolizes love and life to you, other than a symbol in a different language? Maybe a really beautiful flower?
  • swagtier
    swagtier Posts: 53
    Options
    Have you seen America's Worst Tattoos? Coverups can be really amazing, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I would work on covering it up. Maybe you could put something over it that goes along with the "love" theme. You just have to find a great tattoo artist who knows what he/she is doing and I bet you could definitely get something amazing over it.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Go see a great tattoo artist, someone who has good-looking coverups in their portfolio. Ask his/her advice. Come in with a couple general ideas for what you might like as a tattoo and let them give you their input on what would work best.

I did this. Now I have a gorgeous space scene on my back with a big spiral galaxy where a tribal tattoo used to be that I got when I was 18 and thought it was cool. You can't even tell it ever was something else.
  • Penny427
    Penny427 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I dont know anyone that speaks or reads chinese so I wouldnt care too much, you're lucky in that aspect, but if it bothers you, cover up for sure.....!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I showed my tattoo to some Chinese girls(it's a Chinese tattoo) they laughed and told me it was a girls name.
    I showed it to some other Chinese people and they said, "oh like super man" (courage).

I found out there are different types of Chinese. So make sure you're translating the proper Chinese symbol for the proper Chinese language. There is traditional, and i believe mandarin Chinese.

In written there are two major forms but when you factor in the different dialects (about 17) and that there are more than 40,000 characters it can get confusing! Some dialects use more obscure, less commonly know characters.

OP - I vote for a cover up!
  • nmulrick
    nmulrick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what i was doing tonight!!

i have a tattoo that is about 10 years old (only one) and i hate it. i have been trying to decide what to do - leave it alone, get it removed, or get it covered up. i talked to an artist tonight and came up with something that i actually like. i didnt get it done tonight because it's on my ankle and i am running a 5k in the morning (go me!) but will probably do it soon..

i would suggest consulting a tattoo artist first before removing it. see what options you have and go from there!! maybe you'll end up with something that you love even more and it will be right!

good luck!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I had a tattoo partially removed (went to a couple laser removal sessions) then covered. My initial intent was to remove it completely, but it was going to be too costly, so I just had it lightened enough so I could have it covered with light colors (including light grey and orange) and wasn't restricted to black. Unless you know the tattoo was there, you can't tell.

Talk to a tattoo artist, and get their input.