I've finally found motivation!

Options
Hiya! I'm 19, aspiring midwife, and in desperate need of weight loss! According to the Wii fit, I weigh 246 lbs. I can not believe I let myself get like this. I contain my weight well apparently and therefore don't look that big. I've let that trick me into thinking I'm healthy for far too long. Until I was about 12, I was a normal weight and then it just continued to creep up and here I am. I told myself for the last 7 years "I don't care. I love food." lol, when in reality, I cared more than I could explain. I miscarried at nearly 12 weeks when I was 17 and ever since (my doctor thinks it's down to my weight), I've had issues with my periods. 3, maybe 4 a year. I can't let my weight possibly mess up my fertility any longer. It's too important! So here I am. It was the push I needed. Luckily, I love water, fruit & veg and I'm actually not a fan of most sweet things. It's carbs that get me. So I've been on the wii fit pretty much non-stop for the last week (my arms ache as I type this!) and now I'm ready to step it up! I plan on trying the 30 day shred but I'm nervous already lol. Any experiences?! :)

Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
  • jwdesiree
    jwdesiree Posts: 31
    Options
    Good for you, darlin! And I am totally the same with you when it comes to food.... LOVE veggies (and some fruit) and really don't have a sweet tooth whatsoever, BUT I'm Italian and with that comes carbs (bread, pasta, risotto, etc.) in your blood!

Good luck! MFP is amazing (and I've only been here for eight days)!
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome to MFP. I've been on here for a few months now and am steadily losing weight, it's a great tool. Feel free to add me as a friend as a support network really helps. Best of luck (well actually hard work) in your weight loss journey.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    With regard to the pastas and breads... don't give them up. :smile:
    But, be very careful with portion control, the quality of the carbs and the sauces or "complementary" foods you eat with them.
    For instance, instead of a plate filled with 3 cups of highly processed pasta with a heavy cream sauce, how about 1 cup of whole wheat pasta, with a vegetable tomato or bouillon based sauce and a side salad or steamed vegetables, some lean meat. Also, be aware that homemade recipes may be much healthier and lower calorie than a restaurant's. A "serving" of pasta and sauce can vary from under 200 calories to over 1,000 depending on some of these choices. Sometimes the high calorie dishes are "worth" it to you, and you'll find a way to fit them into your plan, but one way MFP can help you is by helping you learn to identify where calories that were not worth it are in your current choices.

Again, good luck!
  • beckyzalldat
    beckyzalldat Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hello...I'm on my third day (tomorrow) of shred and I am 389lbs so if I could do it you can...add me so we could keep in touch :)
  • DAASE
    DAASE Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So proud that you've taken this step! Ohhhh my heck, I know just what you mean about the carbs. I'm not much of a sweet eater myself but give me a loaf of warm bread and butter? OUCH! I've found a WONDERFUL sight that does numerous food makeovers and awesome EASY ideas! It's called "Hungry Girl" and I'm simply hooked (check it out online). I've found that protein is a major key for me, and breakfast is a MUST. The first step is always the hardest, but taking it and moving forward has so many rewards in the end! We're all here for support :smile:
  • Galloping4God
    Galloping4God Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've always had issues with my periods. I'll have one last for 1 month or more, then not have one for 6 months. I went to a herbalist and got some things balanced. But I still had really, really painful periods. I've been off wheat for a little over a month, and my last period was less painful. Plus, they last right at a week, and I have one every month. I def believe it has to do with going gluten free!! I would try it for a month or two. But just know- you will detox. I broke out, and got bloated for a while, but that's all calmed down some after about a month. Hope all goes well for you! :) Feel free to add me!
  • ttcfightingfat
    Options
    Thank you everybody :) I've added you all! Can't wait to follow all your journeys!