Giving up diet soda

Options

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up my diet coke yet, but I'm working on limiting my intake. I used to drink probably 6-8+ cans a day, but right now I'm drinking only 2-3.

I took it in steps. Step 1 - I made sure I was drinking my 8 glasses of water per day. With all that water, I just wasn't thirsty. Step 2 - I'm trying to limit myself to only drinking it with my meals. Now-a-days I'm drinking it with lunch and dinner, and *maybe* my evening snack if I have a real craving for it.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm giving it up because I think it makes me hungry & I don't like that I'm addicted to something.

Good for you! Aspartame is the devil, it's toxic and with constant ingestion causes weight gain. Giving it up can only be good for you. Try substituting it with mineral water, you get the fizz and your daily water intake.
  • brandileigh78
    brandileigh78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was a die hard Dr Pepper/Diet Coke fan for 18 years, to the point I would panic if I didn't have access to it. When I decided to lose weight, I was not going to cut soda out. I felt that it was my one thing that I loved. But, as I started eating better, and more specifically increased my protein and fiber, I noticed I didn't crave it anymore. My last drink was December 1st 2012. I have lost 37 lbs by exercising and cutting out junk and processed food. I feel so much better. I absolutely know in my situation, soda made me hungrier. Good luck! You can do it!
  • under1star
    Options
    FAT FLUSH WATER !!!
    You should drink at least three 8 oz glasses per day, they say the longer it sits, the better it tastes. You can eat them as well but they are intended as flavoring and still work, so that is a personal choice. The Vitamin C turns fat into fuel, the tangerine increases your sensitivity to insulin, and the cucumber makes you feel full. Try it for 10 days and see what you think!

Ingredients per 8 oz serving

Water
    1 slice grapefruit
    1 tangerine
    ½ cucumber, sliced
    2 peppermint leaves
    Ice – as much as you like

Directions
    Wash grapefruit, tangerine cucumber and peppermint leaves. Slice cucumber, grapefruit and tangerine (or peel). Combine all ingredients (fruits, vegetables, 8 oz water, and ice) into a large pitcher.

Stir & Enjoy!

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster that said take it one day at a time. Try to limit how many sodas you have per day & then try to limit how many you have per week. I used to drink three to four Diet Mountain Dews a day & hated, hated, hated drinking water. Now I may have one diet soda a week if that. I usually drink coconut/almond milk, water, or carbonated water (Clear American).
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    FAT FLUSH WATER !!!
    You should drink at least three 8 oz glasses per day, they say the longer it sits, the better it tastes. You can eat them as well but they are intended as flavoring and still work, so that is a personal choice. The Vitamin C turns fat into fuel, the tangerine increases your sensitivity to insulin, and the cucumber makes you feel full. Try it for 10 days and see what you think!

Ingredients per 8 oz serving

Water
    1 slice grapefruit
    1 tangerine
    ½ cucumber, sliced
    2 peppermint leaves
    Ice – as much as you like

Directions
    Wash grapefruit, tangerine cucumber and peppermint leaves. Slice cucumber, grapefruit and tangerine (or peel). Combine all ingredients (fruits, vegetables, 8 oz water, and ice) into a large pitcher.

Stir & Enjoy!

Interesting. I may try this.
  • ksmyth555
    ksmyth555 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I still want a diet soda a few times a week but I have gone way down on my diet soda intake.
    I found water was just a little too bland for me at first but now it tastes amazing. I started with
    carbonated water with lemon and a water recipe called sassy water (google it) very refreshing
    and it gives a taste to your water which helps. I also drank more iced tea which also gives me a
    go to if you eat out. I think what made me want to quit diet soda the most though was one day I
    had one kinda late at night I noticed as soon as that diet soda hit my stomach it immediately felt
    like I was hungry. I never noticed before. It also makes me feel bad. After I drink a diet soda I don't
    want to go work out. I usually just want to hang out at home and be lazy. Good luck! Like others have
    said, one day at a time. If that's too hard then one can at a time. :smile:
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Its been a week for me with no Soda and mainly cutting everything out but water and I had 2 small juice boxes this week. It is hard because I really enjoy carbonation too. I dont like the taste of diet soda which makes it worse for me because I drink the regular stuff. Good luck to you I am sure you can do it!
  • esjayyy31
    esjayyy31 Posts: 16
    Options
    I gave up diet soda a couple months ago - I had a difficult time! I was pretty addicted (drinking about a liter a day!) and I found that the hardest part was the withdrawal (? If you can call it that) that I went through. Not sure if everyone that's given up aspartame/diet soda went through what I did but I had horrible headaches and fatigue for a few days and then BAM, I felt amazing. I've never felt better!!! I don't crave it any more and when I want some bubbles I just head to sparkling water.

Good luck for those of you trying to give it up! Take it a day at a time and try not to crawl back to it because there ARE going to be a few tough days.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I am thinking you will find the benefits to losing the diet soda will out weigh the enjoyment. :drinker:

Try making a twist or something. My favorite is water, marchino cherry juice, and lime. Just a little.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am thankful i have never been a soda fan.. I always just liked plain water.. But lately i have been bored to tears with it. I wanted a new drink that didn't have artificial flavors or sweeteners as it seems i get those without trying. I ended up buying seltzer water. It comes in so many great and interesting flavors and is way cheaper than soda.. Plus its just water and natural flavoring, no calories, no sodium, no artificial anything... It may take a few times to get used to having no sweetener but after a week you wont miss it!
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda more than a year ago. I was addicted to it and I was tired of it. I say take it one day at a time.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    http://tinyurl.com/b22zbrk
    I will never look at soda the same way again. It just plain is not good for you any way you look at it. :noway:
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    Try sparkling water with lemon! Or fresh ginger!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    When I gave it up I replaced it with carbonated water, unsweetened ice tea, water with lemon, and fresh fruit/vegetable juice. Just stay strong! You can do it :flowerforyou:
  • trudykirk3
    trudykirk3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    diet soda is just addicting as regular ones,I have been drinking them for 4yrs now,and in the last yrar gained back 30lbs....they are BAD!!!I as long as I dont have them in the house,I do pretty good,maybe 1 or 2 per week...
  • trudykirk3
    trudykirk3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sorry...last year
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    diet soda is just addicting as regular ones,I have been drinking them for 4yrs now,and in the last yrar gained back 30lbs....they are BAD!!!I as long as I dont have them in the house,I do pretty good,maybe 1 or 2 per week...

Solely because of diet soda???

:huh:
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Try Stevia drops from SweetLeaf in seltzer water. No calories and nothing artificial. Stevia is a naturally occurring non-caloric sweetener. However, use it sparingly. It can cause a drop in blood sugar so a word of caution goes out to diabetics.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    Good luck. Supposely the sweeterns they use in diet sodas makes you crave more and stay hungry. Don't know if thats true, just what I've read before. I use to drink diet soads nonstop, now I just have one here and there. I mainly dropped the sodas down cause I was getting head aches.