Salmon

Options
Bonnieg318
Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
Could someone please tell me how to cook salmon? I have never cooked it before and have not eaten salmon since I was a kid and that was from a can. I would like to know how to cook it and have it taste good.

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Look up on food network. Rachel ray has a really yummy one
  • texasgrower
    Options
    I just spray a skillet with Pam and cook it on the stove. I cook it about 4 minutes on each side. When it is done a put a pat of garlic butter on top.
  • PNOD
    PNOD Posts: 35
    Options
    I back it in the oven in a glass pan with some olive oil and lemon for 15-20 minutes 375
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I bake it in a glass pan in a little bit of water, a dollop of butter and garlic powder and basil.

Edit: bake at 375 for about 20 minutes
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    We like to place a defrosted piece of salmon on aluminum foil (after spraing some olive oil so it doesn't stick) then adding some sliced tomatoes, minced garlic, sliced onions, some low sodium soy sauce and put it in the oven for 30 minutes @ 400 degrees. It's really tasty to us. Good Luck!
  • NLWears
    NLWears Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Look up Salmon at allrecipes.com I found a great sauce there. Made the first time I cooked salmon much easier!
  • Nighthawk07
    Options
    Another really easy method would be on a broiler pan under the broiler for about 8 minutes or until the salmon is nice and flakey. Make sure you remove before it turns brown. Drizzle juice from a fresh lemon on top and enjoy!
  • circesfire
    Options
    My mom always used the broiler method as well, but first she would marinate it in soy sauce, white wine or sake, ginger and a little bit of brown sugar. It was always fantastic!
  • DozzFit
    DozzFit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Heres a good one..
    The skin will peel off easily so it wont be bad.

around .5 lbs (roughly 6-8oz's they sell around this size)

Bake - Preheat oven to 375
    Marinate the Salmon piece..(you can do it in the baking dish if you wish.)
    with - 3 tsps of olive oil,
    less than half a tsp of salt, pepper
    2-3 teaspoons of lemon jucie...
    rub with spoon..(or quickly with fingers)
    add a dash of Dried chives or better yet dried sage or basil flakes

Put in fridge till oven ready.
    Place bake dish+salmon in oven..
    (Skin side hould be down) bake uncovered 12-15 minutes...
    Turn off oven by 15..let it sit a bi,t take out let it cool a bit..you should see that all the fat (itll be white) has seeped out the sides.

Carefully turn the salmon on its side peel off the remaining skin and gray matter gently with a knife (unless you dont mind it).

I place mine on a bed of steamed kale, and sprinkle a little more lemon on it . Comes out perfect Every Time.

Salmon cooks easily on in the stove top in a pan as well (u could do same seasoning) , but might take a little patience and practice to get it the way you like it.

(I just made this again tonight so it was fresh in my head) ;)

*I highly recommend NOT buying frozen salmon. (It can be more economical though, though a little trickier to cook). But, I've tried it a dozen times and just doesn't taste as "good" -. If you buy at grocer you should cook within 2 days of buying it (preferably same day IMO)
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! I am not so afraid to try it now!!
  • magiccat32
    Options
    here is my favorite salmon recipe: scrape all the scales off the skin but leave the skin itself on and make sure all the bones are out, put brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, salt, red chili flakes and lemon zest and orange zest on the meat side. place meat side down on aluminum foil that has been sprayed with a little cooking spray. season the skin side with everything but the sugar. broil for a few minutes until the skin gets a little bit crispy. then pull out and put the brown sugar on the skin (do not turn over) and broil for a minute or so until it gets crystallized. watch close, it goes from perfect to burnt in a split second. skin will be crispy and meat will be cooked perfectly, flaky but still moist. a really big or thick piece can go longer just keep an eye on it. super fast, easy and yummy.
  • TigerPawsSC
    TigerPawsSC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cook steelhead trout (basically rainbow trout, and in most ways completely like salmon) in this way, and it turns out great:

Mix garlic cloves, rosemary, natural lemon juice, a small amount of salt and pepper, and a little bit of olive oil. Combine that in a bowl and mix.

Place the salmon (or trout) in a glass pan, skin side down (I typically filet the meat off of the skin before hand). Take your "sauce" concoction and pour it over the fish.

Broil for 10-15 minutes. Usually it is ready at the 15 min mark, but it might depend upon the oven. I will usually squeeze more lemon juice on top when done, but this is unnecessary. It's a very easy way to make salmon very good.

As an aside, people looking to save money should really consider steelhead. It's roughly 25% cheaper than salmon at my grocery stores, and it is a very similar fish. The only exception is that it is not quite as strong. It's a good compromise for people who aren't quite sure of the "fishiness" of salmon.