Morton's Toe

Options
I am pretty sure I have what is called a "Morton's toe" on my right foot. My second toe is about a centimeter longer than my big toe, and it is becoming a pain! I jog quite a bit, so I have lost that toe nail numerous times. It just came off again today, after being sore and tender for nearly a week. I don't run a lot in the winter, so as it has gotten warmer, I have began running again...hence the nail coming off. I know shoes make a big difference, and I normally wear an 8.5. I wear a 9 in running shoes to give myself more room, but in all honesty, my feet almost feel rubbed raw after a long run because of my feet slipping around in shoes that are too big. So, its like I have to choose...either a toe that hurts all of the time, or feet that hurt. Ugh!!!! What can I do???

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Get bigger shoes, and lace them properly so your feet don't slip around. Google around--there are explanations with pictures of how to do this. I have long second toes, and wear a full size up from my usual shoes.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can put an insole inside your running shoes so you have the right length but the fit would be a bit more snug. Also wear thick socks for some extra padding.
  • elp1920
    elp1920 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have the same thing. Actually my second AND third toes are longer than my big toe. And my heel is a AA width!! Such a pain to find shoes. I have luck with ones with a wide toe box ( sometimes the descriptions will say " accommodates orthotics"). If you like New Balance shoes, look for ones marked as an SL-2 ( the last or form the shoes is built on).

Almost every shoe I wear says to size up 1/2 size. Not just for those of us with Morton's but for everyone. Street shoe is a 9, but my running shoes are all 9 1/2.

Good luck!
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well, my toe nail is now about 95% off, with the exception of right by the cuticle. I must say, it is extremely painful this time!!! I don't know if I should just go to the podiatrist and have them remove the rest of the nail, or just let it go and see what happens. It is really inflammed and throbbing constantly. Grrrrr!!!! Not to mention, I want to go for a run tonight but I don't see that happening. I can't even walk without a limp right now, let alone run.