Stupid question about measuring rolled oats

Options
0.33 cups of oats=30gr=5 tbps says a website here: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/rolled_oats_measures_converter.html

Is this correct? I was tracking my oats as 0.33 cups (Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, not fortified, dry (oatmeal, rolled oats), 0.33 cup) but only put 2tbps raw in my plate and ..idk, it felt like enough.

I'm sorry if this is really stupid but I'm not from US and cups confuse me. :)

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    0.33 cups of oats=30gr=5 tbps says a website here: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/rolled_oats_measures_converter.html

Is this correct? I was tracking my oats as 0.33 cups (Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, not fortified, dry (oatmeal, rolled oats), 0.33 cup) but only put 2tbps raw in my plate and ..idk, it felt like enough.

I'm sorry if this is really stupid but I'm not from US and cups confuse me. :)

me too sometimes

gif-flip-cup1.gif where's the yum?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Type in oats raw. Lots of grams ones come up. I never measure in cups. I think it's inaccurate! Always use a food scale

Zara
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Cups are fine for liquids solids though need to be weighed to be accurate
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Unless the company did it for you... Quaker's oats are perfect weight for what it says measuring in a cup...
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Type in oats raw. Lots of grams ones come up. I never measure in cups. I think it's inaccurate! Always use a food scale

Zara

Problem is, I don't have an accurate scale and I can't afford to buy another now. That's why I'm trying to measure with spoons.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    My scale cost £3.99 with delivery off EBay.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    My scale cost £3.99 with delivery off EBay.

When I say I can't afford one right now, I'm not kidding.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    Not a nice situation and one I understand well. As soon as you can though it's a good place to look. Do you maybe have a friend or. Relative that can lend you a scale. May be a good way forward.

Zara :-)
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Two tablespoons is 1/8 of a cup, or 0.125, if you'd like to adjust your diary.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup is 5 1/3 tbsp or 5 tbsp and 1tsp
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Two tablespoons is 1/8 of a cup, or 0.125, if you'd like to adjust your diary.

Thank you. I decided to let those numbers like they are, no point in changing them now. ...I'm just glad I can eat more than 2tbps of oats to be quite honest.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Unless the company did it for you... Quaker's oats are perfect weight for what it says measuring in a cup...

I disagree, I use Quaker old fashioned and I find there is a big difference in weight vs. volume. I always weigh them.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I always logged 1/2cup then I got my food scale and 1/2cup which is supposed to be 40g was actually 56g. Food scale is worth it!!!