Body Media, Fitbit, HR monitor?????

Options
I am new to Myfitnesspal and I am trying to find something to monitor how many calories I burn all the time. I work out using exercise DVD's, treadmill, walking the stairs but I don't know how many calories I am burning. Just needed some advice on the different devices out there, pro's and cons. Not too excited about paying a montly fee for body media, nor the chest strap with the HR monitors and does fitbit work with exercise videos or just walking and running??? I basically work out 3-4 times a week, walking on the treadmill or a quick exercise video on the days that I work. I am a nurse so I am on my feet usually my whole 12 hour shift. Any suggestions that won't break the bank.

Thanks

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    HRM is no good to wear all day. I'd recommend BMF-the subscription is not that expensive.
    Look at this though.

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    HR monitors are pretty inaccurate without the chest strap - it's not that intrusive I promise :)

I'd like the Bodymedia fit but haven't researched much into it. I'm looking at the Polar FT7 right now - with chest strap.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM (Polar FT6) and just bought a fit bit for general wear.

I use the fit bit throughout the day but its pretty hopeless for things like 30 Day Shred etc so then I switch to my HRM. They sync so you should still get an accurate calories count (or as accurate as it gets!)
  • aost
    aost Posts: 44
    Options
    I dont like the body media as you have to pay a monthly subscription. for me that is a major CON.
    The fitbit tracks you steps (ie you activity throughout the day) but not your HR
    The HRM tracks you HR but is not really accurate when not exercising (ie with a resting heart rate)

I have a fitbit and a HRM. I use the fitbit for everyday stuff (put it on in the morning and it tracks my steps throughout the day) AND the HRM for my work outs. The reasom why i went with this option is cause I prefer one time investments rather then subscriptions.
    For the HRM I would defiantly recommend polar, they are really good in my opinion. And the chest strap is not really a biggie for me, you put it on and it sits just below your sports bra. Don't feel it at all to be honest. (i think you can even get some sports bras where you attach it to the bra )
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at getting a fitbit one as can't wear anything on my wrist at work (work in a hospital). I already have a HRM (FT4) which I woud continue to use for monitoring my HR during gym sessions.

I don't really do exercise DVDs so will the fitbit be accurate for my gym sessions? Do you just sub the amount of calories you would burn without doing anything, at the end of the day to get the current calorie count or leave as is.

Is it worth me getting even though they don't sync to a blackberry?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd vote body media if you want a 24/7 analysis. It really is worth the price. If you get the display you don't need the website! With being a nurse check first though. Sone hospitals don't allow them. Know this as my friend just got her first job as a nurse and she's not allowed to wear hers in her place of work. If they're not allowed I'd go fitbit. Small, discreet but for me calories came out low. For my friend they are perfect though. For structured exercise except walks you'd need a HRM though. Pros and cons to all! I use a body media all day, then use a HRM for intense workouts!

Zara.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I do find bodymedias site worth the fee. Sync with MFP and gives a great breakdown of statistics if that's your thing! It's certainly ming e! It's a good website which I very rarely have issues with.

Zara
  • aost
    Options
    I've been looking at getting a fitbit one as can't wear anything on my wrist at work (work in a hospital). I already have a HRM (FT4) which I woud continue to use for monitoring my HR during gym sessions.

I don't really do exercise DVDs so will the fitbit be accurate for my gym sessions? Do you just sub the amount of calories you would burn without doing anything, at the end of the day to get the current calorie count or leave as is.

I would recommend using your HRM for the gym as it would be more accurate.
    You can add you workouts and you calories from the HRM either into MFP or the fitbit website and they will be factored into your day.
    I have my settings on MFP sedentary and then whatever calories i burn over that is added to MFP as a workout (as fitbit links with MFP) its really easy, and the days i dont move at all no extra calories as added so it motivates me to move!

Yes id say its worth it, as you can sync online with you computer / the display on the fitbit tells you Nr steps, Calories burned, Stairs climbed ect so you can check that throughout the day. (lol this is difficult for me as i wear it on my bra)

found this review which might be helpful: http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'd vote body media if you want a 24/7 analysis. It really is worth the price. If you get the display you don't need the website! With being a nurse check first though. Sone hospitals don't allow them. Know this as my friend just got her first job as a nurse and she's not allowed to wear hers in her place of work. If they're not allowed I'd go fitbit. Small, discreet but for me calories came out low. For my friend they are perfect though. For structured exercise except walks you'd need a HRM though. Pros and cons to all! I use a body media all day, then use a HRM for intense workouts!

Zara.

Not sure if I agree. The we
    Boîte gives you so much more information and the cost for the subscription is peanuts really.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I have both a HRM (Polar FT7) and a Fitbit. Sometime when I'm doing Insanity I find the fitbit and HRM results are pretty similar, other times it'll read much lower (slower work outs). I would probably pick the HRM over the fitbit because it'll be more accurate during workout where you burn the most calories.
  • debrag12
    Options

I would recommend using your HRM for the gym as it would be more accurate.
    You can add you workouts and you calories from the HRM either into MFP or the fitbit website and they will be factored into your day.
    I have my settings on MFP sedentary and then whatever calories i burn over that is added to MFP as a workout (as fitbit links with MFP) its really easy, and the days i dont move at all no extra calories as added so it motivates me to move!

Yes id say its worth it, as you can sync online with you computer / the display on the fitbit tells you Nr steps, Calories burned, Stairs climbed ect so you can check that throughout the day. (lol this is difficult for me as i wear it on my bra)

found this review which might be helpful: http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

So during my workout I wouldn't use the fitbit at all.
    So I then would eat enough calories to meet my calorie goals? Only thing is it's expensive :(
  • bhmathews
    bhmathews Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, wanting to know how many cals I was burning in a day. I've been using MFP on and off for years for tracking eating, but wished I had a better account of calories burned. I got my Bodymedia 3 days ago. So far I am in love with it. I'm a teacher and was convinced I burned a tone of cals just working. Not so much! Good to know!

The funniest thing is that on my first day day wearing it I came down with strep. I have been sick, sick, sick. The Bodymedia recorded my sleep time accurately, and even distinguished sleeping from "lying down". It recorded that was laying down for 13 hours yesterday. Yep!

The subscription doesn't bother me. It's cheaper than going to WW. It keeps me very honest about eating and moving.
  • johnnygizmo
    johnnygizmo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Been wearing my FT7 during INSANITY and I forget it's there.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you weren't a nurse and were OK with monthly fees I would suggest the Body Media. The ones that sync with the display use a frequency of 2.4 Ghz and transmitter power output of <1 mW. The ones that sync with bluetooth use a frequency of 2.4 Ghz and transmitter power output of < 2.5 mW.

Wireless heart rate monitors that use ANT+ also use 2.4 Ghz (I believe output power may vary), Polar uses 5 khz/5 Mhz/2.4 Ghz depending on model, fitbit uses 2.4 Ghz wireless (ANT?) and bluetooth.

A wireless HRM strap will always transmit if it is being worn. A Body Media will transmit if you press the button (it might be possible to accidentally press it, unsure if it transmits if it's not synced with a display/bluetooth device). I can't comment on how a fitbit syncs and whether or not it is easy to accidentally press a button to search for nearby networks or devices (or if it has an airplane mode if the wireless/bluetooth is always on).

If those frequencies aren't covered by a ban, I would suggest (given you don't like subscriptions) a fitbit for daily activity and a HRM for workouts. If your estimated daily calorie expenditure based on activity level is fairly accurate (MFP and other TDEE excluding exercise calculators), you could probably just use a HRM for workouts.

Having said that, my Ki Fit (UK version of Body Media) and display were bought on ebay, the first 3 month subscription was me seeing how I got on with it, and the 12 month subscription was bought from Christmas money. I'm not sure how I'd be doing if I was second-guessing if my estimated TDEE was correct all the time (been there before several years back). Given the profile on the website uses age, gender, dominant hand, (non-)smoker, and height, I'm not sure if all those are used in calculating calorie burn - if they are, a display without the subscription might give incorrect calorie figures unless you get a 1 month subscription and are subsequently in maintenance.
  • aost
    Options
    So during my workout I wouldn't use the fitbit at all.
    So I then would eat enough calories to meet my calorie goals? Only thing is it's expensive :(

Thats what I do. I wear the fitbit when im not working out, HRM for gym. Probably depends on what you are doing as well. In my experience the fitbit is good for running/elliptical, but not so much for spinning ect.
    Yes! It gives a pretty accurate indication of how much you are burning. Especially useful if you have a active job/think you are active then realise you are not a active as you thought.
    It is.. But Im so happy i got mine. And the service is amazing, managed to wash mine by a mistake and they replaced it! How awesome is that!!
  • debrag12
    Options
    So do I really need to track my sleep and steps climbed? Is the zip any good
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM that I wear for my exercise and I just got a Fitbit that I wear daily to give me my est. calorie burn for my day to day activities.
  • aost
    Options
    I like the stairs climbed function, but i never track my sleep. Guess its personal preference.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

This was a very informative article. Thank you